Ruger American Predator, how weather resistant is the Finish

MH WASH

I'm tired of tearing down & oiling my CZ 204 every time I take it out in bad weather. I'm now looking at the Predator and Savage stainless 16 as replacements. The Savage is a little more expensive, but I like the fact that it's stainless, but at the same time the stainless is very shiny. Is the Ruger likely to corrode if I leave it next to the wood stove to dry after belly crawling in the snow with it.?

I'd go with the stainless. The rugers are great guns but the finish will get freckling and then surface rust pretty easy (I'm in coastal, WA, and everything gets wet over here. It's too bad ruger doesn't have the american ranch and the predator in stainless.

You can always do a surface coat (rattle can) on the savage to get rid of the bright finish. Personally I'd go with a tikka though.

I have a Ruger American Predator that's 3 years old its lived a pretty tough life with no special attention paid to the finish and it hasn't rusted.

Wax your gun, yes there are gun products Gun Wax. I have done my wood & blue steel guns and gone on back packing trips for a week and it has been fine.
when doing metal heat it a little with a hair dryer and the wax will penetrate the pores of the metal.
I even put TC bore butter on my shotgun blue steel and wood works great.
Oil is great put wax lasts longer.

I realize this has the potential to be a problem but I have never had a problem with my Tikka's or Sako. I have had them freeze shut while hunting in freezing rain snow a couple times.
The stainless finish does not shine at all.

I really like this CZ, So I'm going to try some of the gun wax on it first. If I'm not satisfied with the wax, then I'll go with a Cerakote coating.

i had 2 diff CZ 527's 1 American and 1 Varmint, both 17 Hornets and both rusted after 1 foggy night.
gave up on cz for that reason, my weatherby vanguard s2 hasnt even thought abt rusting and its been in snow.
My CZ 455 has also been in snow and has not rusted at all either, so must be a 527 thing. I love my 455.

I'm looking awfully hard at a Ruger American compact in stainless 22-250 to have a rough truck gun. 18" barrel, 10 twist, stainless, love everything about it. It's under 500 to buy, so I don't see how you could do anything better. My Ruger M77 in stainless has been out in the rain quite a bit and it looks great still, just a simple wipe down after with a bit of oil. I keep it in my truck and on the work bench.

Just a thought. It's definitely a better gun for those who reload to take advantage of that slightly quicker twist, should shoot up to 70s with a faster powder very well.

Check out Rugers new line up for their Americans...some cerekoted models out now. Also various other offerings with detachable mags.

This is what I use. It's light and handy in 22-250

o8wjt1.png

Originally Posted By: baitpileCheck out Rugers new line up for their Americans...some cerekoted models out now. Also various other offerings with detachable mags.

Did you notice the MSRP? $629. Not the cheap price they use to be.I know street price will be lower but they have gone up.

Back