Lost a cat today...

GC

Awww... d a m n it. My son and I went screaming today. Went to a big block of public land and as we were easing south down an old logging trail through the timber at the first hint of light a 6x6 bull elk was easing north along the trail headed right to us. We spotted him coming and stepped to the side of the trail and took a knee. The big boy walked up to about twenty five yards and stopped when he figured out we weren't just another pair of stumps. We got a hard stare and he turned and walked through the timber down a secondary point leading off the hardwood ridge we were on. Nice start for the morning!

We continued on to the edge of a big over grown clear cut. There is where we made the first stand. No takers there so we skirted around the edge and worked our way to the bottom of the cutover. Following a point of land down toward a brushy spring creek bottom, as soon as we got to where the super thick brush thinned some on a little flat bench above the spring branch, we set up for our second set. About five minutes into some woodpecker distress on a Sceery AP-6 a bobcat appeared from thin air (they are magical like that!) and jumped onto a fallen log about 40 yards away. The cat ran down the log and stopped with his front end blocked from my view by a tree. I snicked the safety off my AR as quietly as I could and brought it to bear steadying the green dot in the Leupold where I thought the cat would come into view. But... he didn't. I started lip squeaking and I saw the cats rear end hunker down low but still couldn't see the front of the animal. I increased the intensity of the lip squeak and the cat crept forward and I got the little green dot right... just... perfect. The cat had stopped and was looking me over intensely, the dot was perfect, the trigger was being pressed... and my son sitting on the back of the tree shifted ever so slightly.

At that movement the cat spun to jump off the back of the log and I couldn't stop the trigger. When the shot broke I knew it was too far back on the turning bobcat. I watched the cat half leap, half fall off the log. He hit the ground hard and thrashed around a couple seconds, recovered and jetted into the spring bottom and across the flat below. About 25 yards across the bottom there is a cave dug out under a house size rock formation. There is a series of these big rock formations along this creek and several of them have a cave like opening at their base. I think I missed my follow up shot as the bobcat streaked the short distance to the cave.

We waited an hour watching the cave mouth for movement. Going there I realized there was no way to get into the small opening and get the cat out. I cut a 7' sapling and trimmed it up, poking the sapling in there as far as I could didn't get any reaction from the cat and I couldn't tell if I was making any contact with it or not. It makes me sick to lose an animal. I take every precaution to prevent it and it is a very rare event for me. It's very hard to walk off and leave it like that.

Reluctantly we went on. We made one more stand about a half mile farther down the bottom and only managed to attract a couple deer. They ran up to about 60 yards and stared, then nervously snorted and high tailed it away. We saw a couple more deer, lots of hog sign, an armadillo and my son sniped a curious crow off a limb that came to some mouth made crow distress. There was also plenty of coyote sign along the old logging trail. We had a good morning in the timber, however losing the cat will haunt me for awhile...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GC It makes me sick to loose an animal. I take every precaution to prevent it and it is a very rare event for me. It's hard to walk off and leave it like that.

yes, it ruins my entire day.

if it is not to far back up to the cave and you want to try once more to retrieve the cat, you might want to gather a length of barb wire, stick it in the cave and twist it around trying to wrap a chunk of fur in the wire.

it has worked for me on rabbits and a couple of coyotes in the past.

Quote:At that movement the cat spun to jump off the back of the log and I couldn't stop the trigger.

That's too bad, Gary. Know the feeling well as it happen to me last year on a gemsbok. Just as the moment of no return came, one leg on the tripod I was using collapsed. Absolutely no way I could stop the trigger from breaking!

Regards,
hm

I would try to attach my cell phone to that 7 foot sapling, turn on the video, then stick the sapling as far in that cave as I could. If you do that before you try the barbwire trick it might save some time.

Up here that barbwire trick is a big No! No1

Even tougher to leave one like that where you know for sure it was a solid hit and you know where it is, just can't reach.
Good luck next time, sounds like you guys will have more opportunities.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: duckstopperUp here that barbwire trick is a big No! No1

why?

Direct from Massachusetts Hunting Abstract about 20 bullet points down the list.

(Removal of any mammal from walls, or holes in trees, ground, or logs.)

http://www.eregulations.com/massachusetts/huntingandfishing/hunting-prohibitions/

if a situation like this happened to myself, I would say the h3ll with the law and try to get whatever it was that I shot anyways. Some rules are just meant to be broken

Quote:•Removal of any mammal from walls, or holes in trees, ground, or logs.

It certainly doesn't specify, but surely this refers to live animals, not retrieving dead or wounded critters??

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996 Quote:•Removal of any mammal from walls, or holes in trees, ground, or logs.

It certainly doesn't specify, but surely this refers to live animals, not retrieving dead or wounded critters??

Regards,
hm

This is a Massachusetts law so if it doesn't specify then it's a grey area and Massachusetts LOVES grey areas. It's there way of turning ethical hunters into criminals. We have to walk on egg shells.

You might get you a strand of barb wire about 15 foot long and trim the barbs off except for about a foot on one end. Make a hook on that end or a corkscrew and an L shape on your end so you can twist it around easier. It'll get tangled up in its fur and you can pull it out of there.

There was an old man I knew that used to snag cottontail rabbits and even rattlesnakes out of holes doing that. I don't see why it wouldn't work with a dead (hopefully) bobcat. The problem is you don't know how deep that cave is.

Let us know if you go back, curiosity will be killing us.

My first set ever calling, wife was with me. Hand calls. I called up a bobcat to 20 yds. Had a .22 mag scoped. The wife didn't know at the time that if you accidently knocked a scoped gun over and it hit the floor hard, it could change the POI, especially with a cheap scope and cheaper rings. She does know now. The scope was 8" high 6" right at 20 yds and the bobcat was LUCKY!!! 20 something years later it still haunts me.

Last edited:
When I hunt the river bottoms, I carry a collapsable crappie pole with me. It weighs next to nothing tapes to one leg of my shooting sticks and is really handy for retieving things from the water and across narrow sloughs. I have a 1/0 long shank stainless hook taped to the end with electrical tape. The pole comes with a plastic cap to keep it stowed while not in use. I cut a little notxh in it to fit around the hook. I think that it iss 12 feet long. It wont atand up to being bent against anything heavy, but it worrks great for a straight pull.

Originally Posted By: weekenderLet us know if you go back, curiosity will be killing us.

I didn't go back. There is a series of rock formations, bluffs or cliffs or whatever you want to call them that run along that side of the spring branch. It's narrow and steep along there, sort of like a shut-in. From the top of the rock to first dirt might only be 20' up at the head of the holler, but it's certainly over 100' out near the end where this spring runs into a larger holler. At first dirt at the base of these rocks nearly all the way there is a series of openings running back under the overhanging bluff. Where the cat went the opening is about 20' wide and maybe 18" high. I have no idea how far back under there it goes. The sapling I cut for a feeler was about 7' long and I never touched a back wall. All kinds of animals use these as shelter. In fact, along there it's very obvious the wild hogs are rooting back under these bluffs and caving in back there for shelter. The result of that is these openings get larger.

It truly bothers me. If I could have stopped the shot I absolutely would have. The timing of that tiny fraction of time as my mind telegraphed the final squeeze to the trigger and the blur of motion as the cat turned on itself to jump off the log is unfortunate and just plain bad luck. Seeing the green dot in the middle of that whirl of motion from the cat was a punch in the gut for both of us. I hate it, but I can't take it back. Honestly, I've thought of it and don't know how I could have prevented it at the time. However, my son and I have discussed how critical it is to be absolutely motionless when we know the other guy is seeing a responding predator. He did not hear the safety come off because I milked that to prevent the loud snap of the AR safety when manipulated. He did know I was lip squeaking though, but thought I was just toning down from the hand call for a break in the call sequence. Now we understand that lip squeaking from either of us means a critter sighted. That means the other guy becomes a tree stump until a shot breaks or a whisper letting you know something different.

In a hunting situation things can and do happen and we don't like it when it does. Don't beat yourself (or your son) up over it. Best to look at what happened as a learning experience.

Back