Vandalism at my calling spot

DiRTY DOG

Saw a bunch of vandalism at one of my calling spots. The ground was all scratched up and dig marks in a bunch of places and there was feces ALL over. So much for "Leave No Trace".

25233059228_e680ba16a0_c.jpg

24238491387_d4976f25f5_c.jpg

39099140781_a29bd4372a_c.jpg

Seriously though, what's the biology behind the scratching? I've seen plenty of bobcat scrapes before, but the clear claw marks in the soil is a little different. Most of the cat scrapes I see usually looks more like this with scat on top:
38588751016_4d583700bf_c.jpg

Is this claw scratching in the soil (top pics) a male or female behavior? Territorial marks? I'm assuming they scratched first, then sprayed. There's no scat at the actual scratch marks, but plenty within sight nearby. Is there no scat in the top scrape pics because they're fresh and no challenger has come along to add to the mark?Plenty of paw prints both cat and coyote. Is this preperatory for mating season? Who's the resident biologistt?

Is this from a lion? I saw plenty of feline prints but none were large, they were about the same size as the coyote tracks all around maybe slightly larger.

I just found this new spot and only called it once so far. These are not small scrapes. See if you can spot all the marks in this photo:
24251659087_58e10682a4_c.jpg

I believe both alpha male and females do this. One as a visual to passers by to take notice, and to actively get more of the interdigital gland smell in the area. If this was ALL over the area and there is a natural barrier, ie creek bed, fence ditch, etc you have probably stumbled on to a border between 2 packs.
Howl often, and stay loaded up my friend

Based only on my own observations, agree w/ WyYoteKiller. Have seen this many times along two tracks and fence lines and believe it to be a boundary marker. Have seen many domestic dogs urinate and scratch/paw the ground immediately afterwards, but never witnessed a coyote in the act.

Regards,
hm

Watched these two in the act. They both took turns pizzin and chittin and raking the dirt with their back feet.

20140426_Antelope%20Island_Wildlife-212W.jpg

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGYou think those are coyote, not bobcat claw marks?

Yep.

Regards,
hm

The scuff marks are definitely from coyotes and both males and females will do it. Here is one I found across a trail the other day. My hiking stick is 56 in Long! And before anybody asks yes it is from a wolf.

8MsfiU4.jpg

Here is another one...
uJEbJjY.jpg
the

Back