What would you do in this case?

Fur Freaks

Ok 12 minutes into a call I had a coyote howl. We bark back etc for 5 minutes. Stayed another 8 to see what happened and nothing. What would you have done? Watch the video to hear the coyote vs. our response. He was about 350yrds out on a hill. We glassed but never could pin him down.

Last edited:
I would of waited about 3 minutes and went to rabbit distress. The coyote might of thought that they had an invasion from another coyote and this coyote was eating their food? Rudy

I wouldn't have gone aggressive on a coyote that was lone howling. But once you got to that point I'd have either done pup distress for a minute and then just sat quiet for a few, if, I didn't think I was in an area with a lot of coyotes and was willing to invest the time in THAT one. Or, more likely, if I think I'm in the coyotes, I'd have just moved on to the next stand.

- DAA

totally agree with Dave, I would've avoided being aggressive. Instead I probably would've used a female long howl in between the coyotes howls until it stopped howling. At which point I would've sat quiet for a minute or two and if it didn't show I would've gone to a rodent distress of some sort.

Nope, I wouldn't have went to the aggressive stuff, either.

If I were doing the calling, I would've got on one of my "Frenzy Pup" pup howlers, and let out 1 or 2 YOY-pitched interrogation howls.
Then sat quietly for about 5 minutes...simply watching & waiting for the coyote to sneak in.

If it continued to howl back, and wouldn't commit after those 5 minutes, then I would've went to pup distress for short bursts.

Then, sat quietly for another 10 minutes, to see if it would sneak in wondering what had happened.

I've never been one to hurriedly go from one stand to the next. If I know for sure that there's coyotes nearby, I have been known to stay on stand for 45 minutes.

Since there appeared to be at least 2 of you, another possibility would've been, for one of you to stay there, while the other guy tried to circle around; get closer to where the coyote was howling; and tried to get eyeballs on him for a shot.

When they are being stubborn sonsabitches like that I flip them off and go to the next stand.

I don't want to keep trying to call them and let them hear every sound/trick I have. Will definitely stay on stand long enough to be sure something else isn't coming in though.

IF there are two of us one stays put and keeps the coyote engaged with the back and forth vocals while the second hunter stalks up and kills him

In my experience a barking coyote is a coyote that has you pegged. I wouldn't have used that sound. I have to agree with Dave.

You call that busted. Those woof-woof-howls are telling the neighbors you are there. Challenge back or don't talk. Get your LONG gun out.

Back