.300 Blackout vs 6.5 Creedmoor

vetman1

Couple of questions concerning these two calibers. I know that the Creedmoor is a flatter shooting caliber, but I have a few more questions to ask. I currently shoot two .300 Blackout AR-15 rifles with thermal scopes for both coyotes and occasionally hogs. I hunt with 125 grain SST bullets. My 9 and 10 year old sons hunt also so I take them into consideration. I am currently debating between another AR15 in Blackout or an AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Most of my shots are 200 yards or less if at all possible.

How much more recoil would the Creedmoor have than a .300 blackout? I do handload and I have not studied the Creedmoor enough to know what bullet and powder load I would use in this caliber for coyote hunting.

I hunt with a suppressor. Even though I shoot my .300 Blackout supersonic it is not as loud as my .243 suppressed. With that said how does the Creedmoor compare to the .300 Blackout in loudness of the “supersonic” crack?

Finally, how reliable is a 6.5 Creedmoor in an AR10 platform? I will be buying a Larue rifle.
There is about a $400 difference between the Larue AR15 and the Larue AR10.

Last edited:
As far as loud goes, the 6.5 CM would be just like your 243.
As far as recoil goes, again like 243.
Big difference is the AR10 platform is heavier and bulkier than AR15.
So much so I carry a AR15 exclusively for hunting yotes and the AR10 sits in the safe.
Having said that, I have a neglected 243 upper, 20" BHW barrel that could use a new owner,,,

If you want a 6.5 CM, just for the caliber, might try a RAP as an inexpensive entry for 6.5 CM, imo.

ps: also hunt with AR15 300 BO here in GA and target shoot with 6.5 CM bolt.

I just bought a 6.5 Grendel upper from Alexander Arms, fits right on your AR15 lower. I've been working on loads from 95 gr v-max to 123 gr SST, as well as shooting some factory rounds. It's plenty accurate enough for coyotes, and the recoil is mild. Unfortunately, since I've put my thermal on, I haven't seen a coyote. My buddy has an AA hunter in 6.5 and has killed a couple of coyotes with factory 123 SST. I already had two AR15's to use with the upper, and I wanted to cut down on the weight.
I haven't shot a Blackout or Creedmore, but I think you should take a look at the Grendel. It should fit the bill for what you need. PM me for more info, or I can give you my cell # if I can help. Good luck...

I just bought a RAP in 6.5 and they will do everything you need them to do with the recoil of a 243 or maybe a little less. I have gone to the 123 grain bullets and this rifle is more fun than a barrel of monkeys on the range.

Originally Posted By: Bob_Atl^^^ +1 ^^^ 6.5G or even a 6.8 spc. upper.
Both of these have significantly more energy on target than 300 BO.

ya the blackout is a good round, but fairly limited on effective range with anything besides the 110gr blacktip because of expansion velocity.

without getting into fancy >$1 per bullet specialty projectiles anyway - and even them you've gotta know your drops well. you can only get so much umph out of a case that size.

at 200 yds that 125 SST is probably barely expanding, if at all (1600 fps min impact velocity for expansion)

a guess a lot of the decision as to what caliber is right/best for you will depend on what range you're gonna be playing around at, and what besides yotes and hogs you're gonna be hunting with it.

i'm all for adding a new caliber, just because.

are you a reloader or stuck on factory ammo? that might make a difference as to whats a good option for you to work with

I have to say, I think the 6.5 Grendel, in an AR 15 would seem to be the best way to go since you like that platform.

The Grendel is considered by a number of folks to be an "up to 600" yard gun. Though I do not own one, a friend does and i can vouch that with him on the gun it will shoot lights out out to 400 and drop coyotes with authority. He does have a custom barrel on his upper but I do not remember whose it is.

I was going to have one built on a single shot action but went with the 6 mm Bench Rest instead.

Good luck with your build.

Last edited:
I would go with a Grendel instead of a creed. I have a 243 on an ar10 platform and has sat in the safe for the last 6yrs. My go to up until a year ago had be a 6mmWOA and now this year had been the Grendel. As other have said the 300 has it limitations but is a good round. But the Grendel will hammer the hogs and will be lighter than the creed.

If ur range is 200 or less then why change what ur doing. I wouldn’t be afraid to shoot anything I hunt with my BO out to 200. Then if you hunt further out you can hunt with whatever you my have set up for it. JMO

I have a BO and 2 Grendel's . I am not that impressed with the BO. It just sits in the safe. I have an AR in the Grendel and the other in a Howa Mini Action. They both are super accurate. The BO is ok but not in the same league as the Grendel. My buddy has a BO suppressed and it is scary quiet but I think the Grendel is a better round all the way around. AR 10 has more hp but too heavy. The Grendel is becoming a lot more popular and the cost of ammo and availability is very reasonable now. There is a guy that hunts with the Grendel and kills a lot of hogs in Texas. Here is a link to some of his videos. He shoots suppressed and unsuppressed and wears them out.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRdcWtDwxcrQ5LetC1VPndpvUnTcxUmOO

Originally Posted By: WigenheadIf ur range is 200 or less then why change what ur doing. I wouldn’t be afraid to shoot anything I hunt with my BO out to 200. Then if you hunt further out you can hunt with whatever you my have set up for it. JMO

theres' nothing wrong - ever - with wanting to explore adding a new caliber to the collection, especailly if you're a handloader !
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: vetman1...with thermal scopes for both coyotes and occasionally hogs...

the hog hunt'n is reason enough to step up the on target energy level, imo.

6.5 Creedmoor "should" stay supersonic with 140+ grain projectiles out to about 1400 yards. My RPR and Savage BA both in 6.5CM are zero'd at 300 yds.

6.5 Grendel will get you minute of coyote to 700yds EASILY. As for scrambling Hog brains with Grendel, certainly do-able.

As mentioned you can get the RAR in 6.5CM (or a Savage Trophy 11/111 in 6.5CM) if you want to just get your toes wet with that caliber. $500 rifle and $500 scope with Match Winchester 140 grn ammo and you're at 1000yds man size targets.

I appreciate all the inputs from everyone. Here is where I am and deciding what to pursue.

I am seriously considering the 6.5 Grendel just based on the ballistics. Pretty impressive ballistics for an AR15 platform. My concern is the reliability of the 6.5 Grendel and cycling. It appears from my research that magazine feeding and reliability is the biggest concern with the Grendel.

First off, I do reload which is the biggest hold up on the 6.5 Grendel. The brass is a lot more expensive in the Grendel compared to the Blackout. Reloading the Grendel would also make a brass catcher a must.

Another concern I have is there does not seem to be a consensus on which powder and bullet load is best for coyotes. I would probably choose the 123 grain SST as a good overall coyote and Hog hunting round.

I will probably run either all blackout or all Grendel when I hunt at night. Any suggestions for a second upper I can run as a second Gun on one of my current Blackout lowers.

Just a thought regarding loads for coyotes, have you considered the Federal or Niteops 90 gr loads as your coyote load? These are factory box loads.

I have shot over 250+ rounds thru my Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel upper, no malfunctions. I'm using mags I ordered from them. I've settled on a Nosler 100 gr bullet, loaded with 8208. My reloads are more accurate (in my gun) than the factory 123 SST.
Midsouth just had a real deal on Grendel brass, think it's over now. Good deals have shown up lately on bullets and brass. Some of my brass has been loaded 3-4 times, and is still going strong. If you reload, I wouldn't be that concerned about the factory ammo available. Alexander has a booklet you can order, which is full of loads with a wide variety of powders and bullets.

Back