Cockle burs anybody got any ideas ?

Huffranger

I wish I had the time back I’ve spent with a fur brush removing cockle burs from coyotes this year.

I did a quick internet search and there is a product called show shine that is for horses and dogs that I might try.

Does anybody have any tricks to get cockle burs out of coyotes before you skin ?

Thanks in advance !

Just a touch of mineral oil on the burr and a bit going away from it and it should comb out. We use this on horses and setters. Cheaper than "Show Shine/Show Sheen. Use a horse comb not a brush.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HuffrangerI wish I had the time back I’ve spent with a fur brush removing cockle burs from coyotes this year.

I did a quick internet search and there is a product called show shine that is for horses and dogs that I might try.

Does anybody have any tricks to get cockle burs out of coyotes before you skin ?

Thanks in advance !

they are really bad here this year too. bet i could have filled a big coffee can with cockle burrs removed from coyotes this year.

i do find they are easier to remove if the hair is wet. a little shampoo on the burr really helps. easier on the fingers too.

I’m gonna get some Johnson’s no more tangles the next time I’m in town and mix it with water in a squirt bottle.

I’m guessing that’s the easiest way to apply it.

This is the slipperiest stuff, we used it on our dogs, my wife would herd sheep competitively and her Shetland sheep dog would get all sorts of stuff in its coat. The bad part the dog would lay on the floor even after it dries and make a spot so slippery that you'd think someone was out to get you to fall. I never had any out in the field with me so I used Pam on my AWS. If I were doing furs I'd give this a try as it leaves no oily mess that needs washing out.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Stuff-16oz-Conditioner-Detangler/dp/B0002H3RLU

Originally Posted By: AWSThis is the slipperiest stuff, we used it on our dogs, my wife would herd sheep competitively and her Shetland sheep dog would get all sorts of stuff in its coat. The bad part the dog would lay on the floor even after it dries and make a spot so slippery that you'd think someone was out to get you to fall. I never had any out in the field with me so I used Pam on my AWS. If I were doing furs I'd give this a try as it leaves no oily mess that needs washing out.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Stuff-16oz-Conditioner-Detangler/dp/B0002H3RLU

Thanks I'm going to try it.

Just get something like an ice pick and start lifting small amounts of hair out of the burr and just pull it free with your fingers. Just do small amounts at a time and don't try to rush it, you don't want to tear the hair out, as that's what the buyer is buying. I know you all are thinking is this guy crazy I'll be at it all day. I just snared one a couple days ago that had several burrs and I had them all out in about 5 minutes, if you just sort of unravel it from the fur it dose not take any tome at all.

I use my fur comb to move fur away from one side of the Burr, then use comb on other side to roll it towards first side, Burdock's, I use outside tooth of the comb to break it up then comb it out

Back