Loudness factor

SUPRX22

For those of you who night hunt,is there any real differenc in the report of a 223 vs a243?Have a friend in NC who bought a 22WMR this year for fox hunting at night since his 22/250 is a little too loud for night hunting.It's legal but he doesn't want to cause problems for people in the area who are sleeping.
I had thought about one but when I read up on the killing range,anything my 22LR won't do needs a centerfire according to most posters.
I have a 243 now but wondered if a 223 would be a little quieter.I know the 22 Hornet is supposed to be but in rifles I can afford,its not available.
Rifle I'm considering is an Axis with a20" barrel.Don't care to have the neighborhood wondering like my neighbor who shot a target beside an old steel tank with a 25/06.There might have been some tannerite involved.
unsure.gif

Last edited:
A 243 is definitely a little louder than 223. But if you reload just load it down. If you don't Hornady makes a Custom Light load with an 87 gr bullet that is a little slower and quieter and might make a good option for you to use what you have.

I would not have any idea, everything I have sounds like a 22LR when I attach a can to it.
smile.gif

You could always install one of those things that sends all the noise forward. A 223 is a noisy round and a 204 is even more so. Oh shoot, what do I know, I haven't heard anything loud in a decade. Sorry, Backing out now........

Strange how it varies.We can hunt with anything for predators and such but have to use 23 caliber or larger for deer.Across the border you guys can hunt deer with a 223 but cant use anything above 22 centerfire at night.
In the eastern part of the state,it depends on which county you are in.May not be able to use rifles except outside deer season.

When you are talking Center fires there really is minimal difference. Yes some are louder than others but the bottom line is loud is loud. LOL. I wish every state would allow supressors. The 223 isn't terrible, but as others have said, you could run reduced loads in your 243.

Originally Posted By: SUPRX22 I won't be shooting near houses,except my own.We live in a long narrow valley where sound really carries,though.

Then let her rip!

I use a .204 .556 & .221 fireball using a Dakota Varminter 4 can..
And i would not be without one...The report takes it down to 22 levels and disperses the sound so the animal has more of a challenge to detect when a follow up shot or when multiple dogs/foxs come in.
I have another pistol...Rem 100xp .243 with a can on...
Recoil drastically reduced...

I use them on all firearms that able to...
thumbup1.gif

Back