Best night EVER

Huffranger

So Uncle Jimbo and I finally lined up an evening to go night calling and it was nothing short of EPIC.

He met me at my house at 7:30 and we chatted while throwing gear in the jeep. The wind was out of the WNW under 10mph with mild temps.

First stand was behind a friend of mines large farm yard. The view was awesome and after we almost walked off a cut bank be got set up and let the Foxpro go to work.

Couple minutes into the stand a single coyote came around the edge of the tree row we were adjacent to and he died about 80 yrds away. We had a group of coyotes sounding off behind us and almost downwind. Uncle Jimbo spots a single off to the northeast of us and it also Dies under 100 yrds. The group showed up almost downwind and I missed a longer shot. One had mange but the other was a nice one.

1965.jpg

Double first stand !

Second stand I goofed it up from the start as there are two different ways in and I didn't account for the wind. We had 2 coyotes come in and I tried a longer shot.... no bueno.

3rd stand we walk into a large pasture with a great view and the wind in out faces. Allot happened and I will misremember the events but I missed 2 and shot 5 with around 12 coyotes coming in. All shots were 100 yrds or less. 3 had bad mange and were left to feed the eagles but 5 coyotes in one stand !!! We were jacked... Having Uncle Jimbo scanning and me shooting was better than being on a guided hunt. Thanks man !!

Mange coyotes

1966.jpg

Heading to the fourth stand I spotted a coyote out in a corn stubble field I have permission to hunt on and we tried a drop the guy with the gun off and drive away trick. He wasn't having any of it but I did hear coyotes howling from our next stand across country.

4th stand we walk in to a knob above some sunflower stubble with cows in it and Uncle Jimbo spots a coyote below us. I set up to shoot and he calls softly. He comes in like on a string and dies, number 8 down ! and we get set up on the hill and not long after the Foxpro starts honking here they come. Again it happened fast and I will misremember but we had a couple hang up 600 yrds away and one came in.... yup and died.

We called it quits at 04:00 ish and what a night.

9 coyotes killed 5 I skinned. All coyotes but one were DRT, the one was spinning and I anchored him with another shot. Very happy with the 70gr BK's

1967.jpg

1968.jpg

Well my hands hurt from skinning and fleshing but I'm ready to go again any time you are Uncle Jimbo.

Again I was running the Oneil Ops starter kit,
SRT can on a 6x45 shooting 70gr Blitz Kings and Mk-3 60mm
I was scanning with a Mk-2 35mm
Uncle Jimbo was scanning with a Pulsar Helion 50, his Mk-3 60mm is on its way and when we both have rifles watch out wiley coyote.

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

Originally Posted By: Huffranger

Again I was running the O'Neill Ops starter kit,
SRT can on a 6x45 shooting 70gr Blitz Kings and Mk-3 60mm
I was scanning with a Mk-2 35mm
Uncle Jimbo was scanning with a Pulsar Helion 50, his Mk-3 60mm is on its way and when we both have rifles watch out wiley coyote.

That's a helluva starter kit Norm! Glad I could help you out and Glad you are hammerin them up north... Good luck this season, stay safe and God bless.

Originally Posted By: MatlockLooks like a heckuva night indeed! Nice work.

Just curious, what does a Oneil Ops starter kit entail?

In Norm's case the MKIII 60mm, and 6mm V.A.P.R. Suppressor.
However via Norm's post, I believe it should be dubbed the OPS "finisher" kit, looking at his outcome.

The stars were certainly aligned in our favor that night. The wind finally let up after what has seemed like weeks of 20+ mph speeds, the moon phase was in our favor, and there were plenty of coyotes in the area. We made a couple of rookie moves as the game is different at night compared to day, but overall it was nothing short of an incredible hunt. Huff made some really good shots and the 6x45 with the 70 SBK’s is bad medicine for coyotes that come in range.

This was a hunt that I won’t forget and I thank Huff for letting me tag along! It sure makes the wait for my mk3 60 more difficult than ever!

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: MatlockLooks like a heckuva night indeed! Nice work.

Just curious, what does a Oneil Ops starter kit entail?

In Norm's case the MKIII 60mm, and 6mm V.A.P.R. Suppressor.
However via Norm's post, I believe it should be dubbed the OPS "finisher" kit, looking at his outcome.

Thanks skinney... I'd concur.

I’ve wondered the same thing. I find myself now going out a couple hours past dark to let’s the rocks cool off.

But I have had coyotes come good all night long. Earlier in the night they might be hungrier after laying up all day.

Had a coyote respond two nights ago and he ate mice the whole way in and as I was getting ready to shoot less than 100 yards he crawled in a hole and never came out. Bet he ate 5 mice while I was watching. You can’t compete with that.

So what I’m saying is just after the rocks cool off and before their stomached are stuffed seems to be my best luck.

Last night my 9 y/o and I were chasing mice and catching a bunch.

A live mouse will ride on the hood of a pickup for 20 + miles...

It seems to change over a period of days. I'm guessing moon has some effect, but other factors may influence as well. We hunt early night because my hunting buddy has to get up early for work every day. There are times the coyotes just don't move early and some places where they won't move until it quiets down some.

I'm sure those who hunt all night find times when they really turn on, and other times when nothing works. Pretty sure that doesn't stay constant and changes pretty much like "clockwork".

Back