New Pennsylvania Hunter Here

Kelch

Hey everyone! New to the forum and just starting out predator hunting in Lycoming and Columbia counties. I’m using a savage model 16 223 Currently a 3x9x40mm scope which I plan on upgrading soon. Fox pro wildfire caller. Hoping to get out after Christmas. Anyone have good information about pa hunting for a beginner? Thanks!

Have either of you guys been out? It’s pretty bitter cold out at night so I haven’t been real interested lol I’m still working on some hand loads for my 223. What kind of rifles do you guys use? Rim fire, center fire, shotgun, AR?

I was out last night made one stand it's cold had 1 start in think it saw something and left had some call trouble and called it a night as for guns 22-250 55gr vmax hand loads, 12ga #4 buckshot.

My wife wanted a puppy so we got that right after Christmas and I have been busy with that now... seems like I take 1 step forward and 3 steps back... hopefully I’ll get some load testing done and get out... I start 4-10’s at work too so I’ll be able to get out a little more I hope. Was it a coyote coming in? Seems like they are a little more difficult then foxes.

Originally Posted By: KelchHave either of you guys been out? It’s pretty bitter cold out at night so I haven’t been real interested lol I’m still working on some hand loads for my 223. What kind of rifles do you guys use? Rim fire, center fire, shotgun, AR?

I have not been out lately. The cold doesn't bother me as long as the wind is not too bad. The moon is the reason I haven't been out. I will start back up here in a few days.

Welcome to Predator Masters ! Always get a positive ID. You will call in many things in your adventures. Many nights I have called in deer I would have shot for a coyote. NEVER SHOOT EYES , unless your sure they are coyotes. Like Joe said, the wind can be your enemy.

Get the proper gear & the cold won't bother you. Post your pics or it didn't happen ! Happy hunting !!

I went out 45 minutes prior to the moon coming up. It was 5 degrees with about 8-10 mph winds. Couldn't find anyone to go on such short notice (and being so cold) so my best friend said she would go. Was on the first stand for about 15 minutes called in 3 greys and killed two. Had to cut the stand short because her feet got too cold. Went back to the truck got her warm then drove about one mile to our next stand. I called for about 10 minutes and noticed the moon just coming up. She is a trooper but I knew she was cold even though she said she was fine so I ended the stand early. While walking back to the truck I spotted a set of eyes coming from over the hill. We sat down and tried to call, but it knew something was up. I lit it up with the gun light and could see it was a red I took the 215 yard shot with my .17 hornet and connected. She had the truck warm by the time I retrieved the red and made it back. They were definitely hungry tonight. Remember, to always scan on the way in and on the way out.

MbpmIhO.jpg

I will add to what Joe said about scanning while walking in and out. I resisted the headlight for a couple years (I used a handheld light) but have been using one this year and have seen quite a few fox that I probably would have missed if not wearing and using the headlight. I like to set it on 20% brightness while walking in.

I'm in S.E. PA so I use a shotgun 90% of the time.
Absolutely agree...headlamp on from when you step out of your vehicle until you get back in.

Nighteyes; I have to say, what a light you have! Got your F6R the other week, and that thing lines up to the reticle perfectly and lights well past to 300 yards with a crisp scope view.
Just started predators this past year, so learning all the tricks.

Deadctr,

Thank you for the positive feedback. If you attend the GAOS in Harrisburg please stop in and introduce yourself. We are in booth #3914. If you do not make it to the show do not hassitate to call me at (814)364-9660 and I will be more than happy to provide you with some hunting tips.

Hope to get there Saturday if not before. The evening hours this year really messed me up.

If I get there, I'll make it a point to stop in. Thanks

Back