Sunday morning quad

Snowshoes

Well it’s been awhile since any coyote activity on my part. Last weekend (Dec 2 & 3) we were gone & I never got a chance to get out hunting.

This weekend was warm which made Saturday’s calling a total bust. Did 2 stands in prime area’s but couldn’t even get the magpies excited. As a last resort I decided to check a nearby valley which proved to be encouraging. Bright blue skies and well above freezing temperatures made glassing the valley a real treat. A half mile away I see 3 coyotes bedded along the creek and 2 above them on a cow carcass. The ole brain gears are now put into motion of how to make a sneak on them.

My plans are short lived when I see all the coyotes suddenly on the move to the south across the valley. An addition 3 coyotes join the southward coyote migration for a total of 8 now. A half minute passes and I see the reason for the coyotes retreat, a tractor was coming across the field with a round bale and passed fairly close to the cow carcass.................................... Tomorrow will be a new day.

Sunday morning temprature was at the freezing mark & calm as I made the half mile trudge through snow that was too soft to hold up my body weight. Set up with my back against a large tree that was conveniently situated on a small knoll which gave me a good view of the valley floor. A few minutes of glassing reveals 3 coyotes in the hills but they look content where they were.
Awhile later, I see a coyote coming my direction on a slow but deliberate walk across the flats. It stops by some trees that I had earlier ranged at 156 yards. A shot to the chest has the first coyote down for the morning.

The shot didn’t seem to affect the coyotes on the far side of the valley too much as none where on the run. I watched three casually walk westward through the trees and two were mousing in the field on top.
Ten minutes after shooting the first coyote, I see another coming my way. This one is west from the first one and like the first, its stops by the edge of some trees long enough for me to get the cross hair lined up for the shot. Coyote number two down ( 124 yards).

Sit for an additional half hour but nothing else ventures across the valley. I glass the area of the cow carcass, which is fairly obscured by trees but I can make out a couple coyotes still there. Using the lay of the land I follow a draw towards the creek which will get me much closer to my intended targets. As I get to the creek bank I get busted by one of my so called targets. I have no choice but to set up where I’m at. Glass the trees where the barking & howling is coming from but cannot pick out the source of it. I see a coyote sitting in the trees looking my way but its not the culprit. No clear shot for this one so I keep scanning the area. I find another coyote sitting by the fence to the west but it too is not the one barking. Range the trees beside the coyote at 360 yards. I do have a clear line of sight so I set the turret for 350 yards and zoom up the scope to 22X. This is not a good looking coyote but they need thinned out also. Settle my heart beat and touch off a shot. The satisfaction of hitting a coyote who is sitting down and looking your way can only be appreciated by fellow hunters! My shot folds the 360 yard coyote where it sat. I am always a bit surprised when that happens.

The rifle shot echo’s through the valley which creates coyote movement in the trees. One coyote trots towards the downed coyote and stops to sniff it’s dead buddy. Unknown to it, there is a set of cross hair on it, a touch of the trigger causes the coyote to hump up and trot a few yards before falling over dead.

I’m very pleased with getting two coyotes at that range! Even though the last two coyotes were fur ugly, they were special in their own way.
I did see a third coyote bust out of the trees but it never presented me with a shot. I believe this would have been the one who was barking earlier.

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

Last edited:
Snowshoes great post and pictures.

Excellent shooting at those ranges with a 223 ai. You are a coyote slaying machine,keep up the good work. Been hitting a dry spell here but it will turn around.

Looking at your pictures I have to admit I'm a little bit jealous. We lost all of our snow and it's now brown and muddy making for tough hunting. Good job on the quad!

Thank you all for the comments and as an added bonus, I see this write-up was also "Nominated".
Not something I was expecting but much appreciated.

Our snow gradually keeps disappearing day to day but it sounds like we may have more coming next week with some cooler temperatures.

I, as probably most reading this, have to contain the excitement or hearing a forecast of snow & cold weather ahead. There is a lot of people who just don't understand
smile.gif

All the best to everyone in their future predator hunting adventures
Take care, SS

Hate to see you wear out that barrel! Send me a pm and I'll bring up a couple guns and ammo and help you out! Ha ha. If it helps I am pretty good at skinning and putting up fur. Keep up the post almost feel like I am there.

Originally Posted By: fratriNice going, always inspired by your posts.
Keep them coming
The coyote action has slowed down with the warm weather we've been experiencing so my "post" could be far and few between.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Displayed NameNow that’s some nice shooting!
Some days I surprise myself
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: deathrayHate to see you wear out that barrel! Send me a pm and I'll bring up a couple guns and ammo and help you out! Ha ha. If it helps I am pretty good at skinning and putting up fur. Keep up the post almost feel like I am there.
Good to know I have back-up if need be
smile.gif

You are the man Snowshoes!!!Just keep on whackin' and stackin' them and post the photos and stories. I'm not sure if I'll get to go out after the Wiley Coyotes this season or not--still having problems with my back.

Originally Posted By: SilverfoxYou are the man Snowshoes!!!Just keep on whackin' and stackin' them and post the photos and stories. I'm not sure if I'll get to go out after the Wiley Coyotes this season or not--still having problems with my back.

Thank you Silverfox,

I sure hope your back heals soon and you can get back out hunting.
Until such time, I hope to share a few stories to help time pass.

What is your rifle/scope set up? Do you find that the 223ai has a advantage on a standard 223? Btw great write up with good pictures and great dogs!

Originally Posted By: NerdthanWhat is your rifle/scope set up? Do you find that the 223ai has a advantage on a standard 223? Btw great write up with good pictures and great dogs!

I have a 223 also and it's still one of my favorite coyote cartridges. I find the 223AI is a nice medium between the 223 & 22-250. Not quite the velocity of the "250" but also not as loud either. I hunt near numerous farm yards and even though they know I'm hunting there, I found the 22-250 was too loud for my liking.( Most likely bothered me more than the landowners). If I hunted open areas void of nearby yard sites, I likely would still have a 22-250 in the gun cabinet. The Ackley does have a sharper crack to it compared to my standard 223 but overall, not to bad.
The rifle is a Cooper Montana Varminter model 51 topped with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50mm Zero Stop scope. The combo is a tad heavy but the way it shoots, I'm not going to complain.

Back