5 coyotes and some bobcat pictures!

derbyacresbob

I have been having problems trying to post pictures lately so I have not made any Predator Hunting posts. Here is the results of a hunt I made last Wednesday 12/6/17.

IMG_4659 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
Right at first light I had this coyote run up to about 30 yards away from me. I used the shotgun on this one.

IMG_4666 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
This coyote I shot with my rifle about 40 yards away. I had been calling for right at 20 minutes when I saw this coyote about 600 yards away heading my way fast.

IMG_4690 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
This coyote came out of the ditch I parked my truck in to hide it. The coyote was only about 100 yards away from my truck when it came out of the ditch. Used the 22-250 with the Nosler 50 gr BT Lead Free Varmint bullet.

The next stand I made was in a real deep canyon that I have a trail Camera in. I put my FoxPro in the bottom of the canyon and I set up about 25 yards up the side of the canyon in the shade. I was thinking if I called anything in it would come down the bottom of the canyon. I was wrong! I heard a coyote heading down the steep mountain I was sitting on about 20 yards to my left.
IMG_4699 - Copy (2) by Robert Morris, on Flickr
The above picture is the coyote beside me looking down at my FoxPro caller and decoy.

IMG_4712 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
This is the same coyote after he crossed the canyon bottom. This coyote is looking at the FoxPro caller and decoy.

IMG_4721 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
Here is the next picture I took of the same coyote. 
So I got 4 coyotes on my first 4 stands.

My next stand I made I didn't even move my truck, I just walked about 400 yards past my truck to make my 5th stand of the day. It is a great spot. After calling for about 8 minutes I heard a coyote screaming at me from the top of a steep mountain about 600 yards away.

So I challenged him back with "Male Coyote Challenge 4 " sound. This really ticked off the coyote and he ran out where I could see him way up on the mountain. While he was still screaming at me I switched to "Pup Distress 3" sound and he started running down the mountain. When he was about 300 yards away he stopped and started screaming at me again. So I challenged him back again.

He started running down the mountain again. When he got to the canyon bottom straight across from me he was still screaming at me.

I set down my shotgun and switched to my 22-250. It was pretty cool watching him scream at me through the scope on my rifle as I was concentrating on squeezing the trigger.
IMG_4735 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
This is the screaming male coyote.

IMG_4755 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
Here is the next picture of the screaming male coyote. Three of the 5 coyotes I got were big males.

IMG_4772 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
The next stand I called in a fox.

A few stands later a bobcat walked right by my FoxPro caller and decoy after just 3 minutes of playing Bay Bee Cottontail.
IMG_4810 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_4813 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_4816 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_4823 by Robert Morris, on Flickr

After the bobcat walked right by my FoxPro Fury and Jack Daddy decoy it spotted my black camera in front of my face and started waling towards me.

IMG_4830 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_4837 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
When the bobcat got to about 15 feet from me I think it heard my camera and turned and walked away. In the last two pictures you can see the shade of the juniper I was sitting in front of right under the bobcat. I will never forget this bobcat stand.

It was a fun day of predator calling!

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the rotating .gif isn't working, so only "Nominated" appears.

Some of the best photos ever posted on this forum came from your camera. This thread is proof of that. What an awesome day of hunting!!!

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterVery nice, must be very difficult to work 2 guns and a camera! I have a hard enough time tying my shoes

Don't forget the caller too.

More than I could keep track of and not make a cluster.

- DAA

Those pictures are professional quality for sure. Wish we could take bobcat here, I seem to call in more bobcats than coyotes and we can't shoot them.

Great hunt and story Bob, awesome photos as usual. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy the pictures of the cats especially.

Nice stuff Bob. I know the struggles of trying to call, run a camera and a dog and still trying to get em killed. Nice work.

Sure glad you got your picture posting problem resolved, Bob.....been missing your pics! Outstanding as usual.

Notice you are using a Jack Daddy. Do you use the audibles as well? My son gave me one last year and I've been letting decoy & bird audible run continuously in conjunction with the usual hand & FoxPro calls. I believe it has increased coyote response and they seem to come in hot and locked on the decoy more than they did with the Critter. Birds seem to circle more & closer, also.

Only called one cat since I've used the FD, and he came out right across the sendero from the decoy, caught the movement when I raised my camera and sat watching me for several minutes.
35529882851_4e0f09a81b_c.jpg

Then stalked right up to the FD, which was just out of the frame to the right:
35529878371_e2992b8f3b_c.jpg

Funny aside: My wife had a little wren that came and sang outside our BR window every night. When I brought the Jack Daddy home, I checked it out and put it in my loading room, adjacent to our bedroom.

The first night, at 5AM, she woke me up and said, "something is after my little wren!" Sure enough, even with my deaf ears, I could hear it screaming. After a quick search, I tracked the sound down to the Jack Daddy!??? Being half asleep and not wearing my glasses, I removed the batteries as I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Next day I replaced batteries and it was silent.

Second night, 5AM, same song, second verse; pulled batteries again. Called FoxPro and they assured me there was nothing in the unit that would turn it on. This time I took the time to read the (very small) print by the switches and turned it off.

Oh, my wife's little bird disappeared for several months after that, but fortunately has since returned, thank heaven.
grin.gif

Only thing I can think of is that, occasionally we get a SW wind and aircraft approach switches so that they fly nearer our location. I suspect that there is a daily 5 AM arrival & their radio frequency bleeds over and actuates my call. Now I make sure the switch is off!

Thanks again for sharing your excellent pics!

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterVery nice, must be very difficult to work 2 guns and a camera! I have a hard enough time tying my shoes

I will be 65 years old in a week. Tying my shoes is normally the most difficult thing I do all day. LOL

Carrying my FoxPro caller, decoy, rifle, shotgun, camera and chair for 300 to 500 yards is way easier than tying my shoes or boots first thing in the morning.

derbyacresbob--That was one GREAT post. Your photos are magnificent!!! This story gave me a chance to "almost" be out there calling coyotes and cats. Thanks for sharing your experience!!!

Back