87 grain sst in 243?

I shot quite a few with the 87 gr vmax last year, at 3000 fps it was mostly fur friendly.

87 gr sst, I assume that's factory ammo? Like their light loading? I wish they would offer that bullet for reloading. It looks like the perfect deer/antelope bullet for the smaller 6mm wildcats out there.

I'd think you would be happier with the 87 grain vmax on coyotes. The SST is more of a big game bullet, and may not be very fur friendly. Last I looked, you can only get the 6mm SST in a 95 grain weight for reloading, anyway.

37g of IMR 4064 works great in my rem 700 in 243 Win.

IN a Rem 700, 243 Win factory barrel, 44.5g of R#19, win case, win primer, shoots very tiny groups with the 85g NON tipped tripple shocks. I would work up to that load with the 87g v max because 3300 is nothing to sneeze a with this bullet weight.

Last edited:
I hit a coyote years ago with a 95grn SST (behind the shoulder) and had a dime size entrance with no exit. I run the 87grn Vmax now out of my M77 Varminter in 243 with 36 grains of Varget and it will shoot ragged holes.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI shot quite a few with the 87 gr vmax last year, at 3000 fps it was mostly fur friendly.

87 gr sst, I assume that's factory ammo? Like their light loading? I wish they would offer that bullet for reloading. It looks like the perfect deer/antelope bullet for the smaller 6mm wildcats out there.

Yeah. I bought 10 boxes for the kids to use but it looks like it could be a solid choice for predators too

I haven't shot the 87 SST. I have shot quite a few of the 87 VMAX out of a 243 at about 3050 fps. My experience is the opposite of the earlier posters though. It is a good thing I don't save fur, because it has been brutal to the coyotes I have shot. Not fur-friendly at all for me. But I just want them dead, and it does that REALLY well. VMAX is very accurate and absolutely hammers them.

The 87 gr Vmax hammers coyotes. I agree with JTPin. It is NOT at all fur friendly. I was shooting them at just under 3000fps and it left fist sized holes out the back side. Now it’s a great small deer /antelope round. People don’t like the V in Vmax as a large game bullet, but it drops stuff in its tracks.

I wasn't at all impressed with 87 grain SSTs on small TX whitetails (.243, Hornady Lite reduced loads), but it ought to work great on coyotes. I do like the 129 grain SSTs in my 6.5x55.

Back