Needing suggestion

Js82786

Well this is my 2nd year on the coyote scene. The first year I only killed one coyote (btw I'm in Missouri) but called in several and this season starting in nov killed two the first two weekends and I have been skunked the last three now. What is even worse its 730 right now and a place I called just a few hours ago that is near me I can hear them yipping and howling basically what Im asking is does anyone have any ideas of what I might be doing wrong. I'm quite to the stand I use the wind and I change up my sounds and use both electronic and mouth calls vocals and distress calls. Any help is appreciated.

Just keep after them. Those you hear now may not have been there when you called. Heck the last one I killed was 10/28/17. I have spent 2 hrs calling before {could see them in woods with thermal}, but could never get them in the open. Never give up, persistence pays dividends.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisThe later in the season the harder it gets.

Try changing up your sounds.

What are you using??
Yep they can get tone def in pressured areas til breeding season.
Think outside the box, somedays are naturally better for calling. Make sure you can see downwind or put a shooter downwind.
Don't overcall. I have called them in for other shooters solely with a mouse squeaker.

Im using many a different sound. From tt den raid to passive howls to rodent in distress. I'll even throw a fox in distress every once in a while. I sit on the stand anywhere from 30-60 mins. I wonder since I have a lot of wide open land I hunt if my call isn't loud enough and the ones I called earlier in the season were just close enough to hear it. I use a foxpro wildfire.

I haven't been yote calling in a few years, but from what I experienced in my areas is that early in the calling season, the young and dumb ones are still walking around and are easier to call in. However, once they are trapped and shot, you are left with smarter animal. Then once our deer firearms and ML commences, they get pretty cagey- especially in the daytime. I pretty much change gears to 100% night time calling during those time frames. Once the breeding season starts for yotes, they seemed to get a lot more brazen and brave during the day (I have shot more than a few during the breeding season without even calling). As a matter of fact, at least with my experiences, I have found that calling both at night and during the day during the breeding season can be quite productive. I would also try other sounds than the rabbit distress. Every NOOB is out in the field blasting a dying rabbit it seems like. they are not watching their down wind and a yote busts them associating that sound with humans.

Do 20-30 minute stands and move stand locations more. I’ve started doing 20 minutes followed by a few minutes pup distress and then wait a few minutes. Nothing, move 500 yards or so and go again. Do a quiet sound first for a couple minutes, then howl, then a medium sound then at 18-20 minutes howl then distress. Give a minute or more silence between calls. Set up in a spot where a coyote can sneak right in to about 20-30 yards of the call. They’ll skip the wind sometimes if they have an easy route. Once the medium sound is on just put down the remote and wait. The less movement you make the better. It’s been slow here too and suddenly it’s taken off. I’ve seen one a day or more for the past week or so. Very responsive to pup distress and male howls. Challenge bark fired em up but they wouldn’t come in to where I could see em. And lastly, don’t try to make them come into an open field. Call em into the woods and they’ll be much happier till you shoot em.

There are a lot of “what am I doing wrong threads?” Or the equivalent. The fact is, these little buggers are crafty. And I don’t mean they knit sweaters.

Stick with it. Just Sunday was calling with a pardner, dumped one 5 minutes in. Went through whole session, but didn't let it quiet down for 10 minutes before moving off, pardner starting getting up as a yote came blowing in. Dead run, 3 steps out and I set there with my rifle scope cranked to 9. Yote spotted pardner and got a few warning shots on her way out the door.
Lessons learned
1. We set quiet for 10 minutes after last call, stick to the plan
2. Pardner had rifle, I shoulda had shotgun.
3. Always check scope when you set down
JS, These are pretty basic rules, and I didn't start last year and I paid for not paying attention.
The set pattern we use is:
Female howls wait 5-7 min
Female howls wait same
Distress, usually jackrabbit wait 3-5 min
Distress, Jackrabbit wait same
distress, cottontail (or other higher pitch sound) wait 5-7
Pup distress wait 3-5 min
Pup distress wait 10-15 min
It seems to work well for us, good luck and stick with it.

Originally Posted By: WyYoteKillerStick with it. Just Sunday was calling with a pardner, dumped one 5 minutes in. Went through whole session, but didn't let it quiet down for 10 minutes before moving off, pardner starting getting up as a yote came blowing in. Dead run, 3 steps out and I set there with my rifle scope cranked to 9. Yote spotted pardner and got a few warning shots on her way out the door.
Lessons learned
JS, These are pretty basic rules, and I didn't start last year and I paid for not paying attention.
Female howls wait same

When you say you are waiting, are you waiting in silence, not playing a sound?

Originally Posted By: WyYoteKillerStick with it. Just Sunday was calling with a pardner, dumped one 5 minutes in. Went through whole session, but didn't let it quiet down for 10 minutes before moving off, pardner starting getting up as a yote came blowing in. Dead run, 3 steps out and I set there with my rifle scope cranked to 9. Yote spotted pardner and got a few warning shots on her way out the door.
Lessons learned
Female howls wait same

Either you have very few Coyotes in your area or the Coyotes are VERY educated.

My buddy and I shot 17 two weekends ago which was a Friday night and Saturday day. Of the 17 we killed, they came in at or under the 4 minute mark, if not then they did not come in at all.

An hour on a stand? CrAzY!

We seldom, if ever make it that long. Most come in quick. Wait times are approx, and we only play one sequence of the sounds one the e call (about a minute) and the howls are on a tally ho and 3 long females howls(bout 30 seconds). Guess that does look like a long set, our call times are short, and the waits are approx times, probably to the shorter sides. Really depends on our time spent glassing.

You guys have got it made out west. I’ve not heard of anyone ever having that kind of success in Michigan. So, how long do you play rabbit distress or any of your sounds? My caller has a cottontail screaming for over a minute. Is that a standard amount of time?

Originally Posted By: QuigYou guys have got it made out west. I’ve not heard of anyone ever having that kind of success in Michigan. So, how long do you play rabbit distress or any of your sounds? My caller has a cottontail screaming for over a minute. Is that a standard amount of time?

Let her rip!!!

Let the sounds play, if nothing after 10 minutes then switch sounds or move.

Out here we can see for miles when glassing in most areas.

Back