Baiting

6mm, it is sub MOA at 100 yds no problem. The 58 vmax is the only thing I have run in it, so, I ran a few test loads to get MOA or better and just went with it. They are an accurate little rifle for the money.The orange dot is 1.5" and the pencil circle is 1".
.243 by jrhranch, on Flickr
I do have a 170 yd site as well that is above the one in the photo. The 170 yd is a bit deeper in the timber and can be pretty productive.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I know its early, isn't everyone up shooting coyotes? This one was on my 170 yd site this morning. Shot him with a Rem 700 .223 that I just rebuilt.
12-2-17J by jrhranch, on Flickr
Time for coffee and a shower, then to work.

By the way Doubleup, I just had a chance to watch your last video(limited data out here in the sticks) Outstanding!!!Way to go. You have quite the set up there as well!! Good Job!!

Pretty work on the coyote. I'd have figured you would be snow covered and grass brown out there by now. What bullet were you using in the 223?

Double, It was 55 degrees today, but that will be changing. Mondays high about 56 and then Tues high 27 with some snow. Looks to be cold all next week, so, I suspect the indian summer is over. That was a 52 gr Amax believe it or not. I have had good luck with those over the years...they have killed lots of coyotes. And, hate to admit it, but this last shot was not a good shot. The 52 Amax killed him graveyard dead, just rolled down the hill.
Weekender, it sure is!! But, had to skin tonight. They skin hard anyway, but cold...arrrgh!!!

Put the first bait of the season out last week. Way behind this year. Where I deer hunt is loaded with coyotes... this is not my bait area. I have never seen let alone shot a coyote deer hunting in all my years... and it has been a few years and I hunt the same area. Last year I shot a coyote opening day. This year opening day I shot at 2 missed the first ...a gimme shot I blew it. Second was at dusk 100 yds. nailed it. So I started with the bait this week 2nd morning crows all over the place and 1 good sized coyote made an appearance i took my eye off him for just a second and he was gone.....no idea where he went. I waited 1/2 hour nothing. Put out even more bait. Beef rib cages from a butcher staked down with 2 - 1" inch grade stakes through the ribs and beef trimming under the ribs slows the crows down and makes the coyotes have to pull and fight to get at it. Got pictures of this from last season.
Also started baiting my deer area. I don't have a lot of time for this spot so I set it up for a drive by check. If anything there I can pull in and hopefully get a shot.

So my question is currently what is the best way to pics on here? It has been a long time since I put any on and I think it has changed....maybe. Thank you in advance.

DD, sounds like you're going to have some good results this winter. As to your question of posting pictures, you'll have to find a 3rd party hosting site that works. Photobucket no longer allows that. I am using Flickr and it works pretty well for me.

dog driller, I just followed double-up's lead on flickr and it seemed to work better than photobucket did for me. Here is a cut and paste from DU's instructions:

First select the picture you want to share by double clicking on that picture. Then go down to the share icon on the lower right of the screen and click on it. That should give you four choices, Share, Embed, E-mail, BBCode. Select the BBCode and below that should be two boxes. One will be the code needed to copy and paste here, and the other will be for the size of the picture. Select the size, 640x480 works well, and then copy the URL and paste it in your post here.

Hi Baiters! It's good to be back on here and to see that many of you have been busy smacking down some dogs. Congrats to all! Also, welcome to those who have just joined. I hope you find find this sub-forum helpful and entertaining.
I finished up with the whole silly deer season thing, and now have 3.5 bait stations running, and am comfortably back in my predator hunting stands. So far I have shot at and missed 2 Reds and have taken 2 large coons. The big boar I shot this evening weighed in at 14lbs.and 8oz.
Bear with me as I too, am trying to learn how to post photos using Flickr using my phone. Here's a trial run.???
https://www.flickr.com/gp/138945421@N08/cF4gr6
Well, that didn't go so well....?

Last edited:
Hey, thanks 6! Good to know I have a working link, now to figure how to post actual pictures. I just signed up on flickr and have yet taken the time to navigate the site, much less learn how to use it. I swear, the older I get the more my learning curve becomes a full circle. Lol!
Enjoyed catching up on your videos and pictures. Keep'em com'in.

Good job Gobbler!!! I to,have the deer thing done and in the freezer. Now, full throttle coyote!!The bait sites have slowed down here with the two shotgun deer seasons going. I think the coyotes get very molested and cover down during this couple of weeks. Also, I think there is a large amount of food everywhere during this time with gut piles and carcasses laying everywhere.Stay after em!!

Dang Weekender, she has been busy putting meat in the freezer!!! Pass along to her GOOD JOB!!!! Outstanding!!! And yes, some tasty remnants for the bait pile!!

Wow Weekender!!! That is great. Your hard work paid off big time. Congrats to your wife for some excellent shooting.

This probably happens more often that we might realize, but I've never caught it on film before. Last night right before a major front came through this YOY Coyote showed up at my bait site.

I decided to take him with the Pulsar Apex XD50A mounted on my 6x45 AR. This is my regular calling rig. Most of the time I use a Photon on another rifle on the bait pile. My standard loading is a 55 gr. Nosler ballistic tip at close to 3,400 fps for the 6x45.

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrSB5cMHabs&feature=youtu.be

What I didn't realize at the shot was what the thermal video captured until I looked at the video. I uploaded it all in slow motion, so you can see what occurred. The entry was small and didn't show much, but the exit hit right on his offside shoulder completely destroying it and if you watch closely you can see two pieces of the shoulder bones fall back to earth after being blown skyward. The offside is too messy to show.

Back