.204 vs. .17 Fireball

If you don't mind wildcating try a more potent 17 with a 30 grain bullet. Coyotes I've hit with them just look shocked and tip over. 17 Tac and 17-204.

I have successfully shot coyotes with both the 204 and the 17 Remington. If you want more wiggle room for shot placement then the 204 is the way to go. A well placed 17 will anchor them but you don't get as much room for error.

In the 204 I use the 45gr sp with a lot of success anchoring them.

Great, just the kind of info I was looking for. However you did not mention damage; I am interested in how much damage you do to animals that are close, like at 30 yds.? That is, does the bullet exit, and if so, what does the exit hole look like?

Originally Posted By: CeelatransGreat, just the kind of info I was looking for. However you did not mention damage; I am interested in how much damage you do to animals that are close, like at 30 yds.? That is, does the bullet exit, and if so, what does the exit hole look like?

I shot a coyote at 34 yards with a 1:10 twist 22" 204 using 32gr vmax superformance. Hit it in the front chest area, no exit, could hardly find the entry hole. I had the hide tanned and after that process the entry hole was only about the size of my pinky. That is my experience on my closest kill.

Originally Posted By: tawnoperOriginally Posted By: CeelatransI am wondering if the Fireball has the moxie needed to put a coyote down when you hit bone (like a shoulder) at longer yards?

Nope. Hit them like that with a 17 they usually do what you described.

I've shot a bunch with the .204 Using 40gr Noslers I had pretty good results even hitting a shoulder. The other bullets I tried (35gr Berger, 39gr BlitzKing) although a bit more accurate didn't perform as well when you caught a shoulder.

I was scrolling to see if anyone had suggested the 40 gr. Noslers,I've tried Hornady, Sierra, Noslers and a few mixed bag of others in 30, 32, 39 and 40 grains.

My sample size on coyotes is small but they have all been DRT with the 40 gr. Noslers without damage. Great bullet and accurate. The only thing that shot better was 39 gr Sierras and that was minimal. The Sierras would tear a fox in half in hit back.

40 gr bergers were gonna be my next attempt but just because of how accurate people say they are. Very pleased with the Noslers for years now

Also I've seen those 40 grain Noslers take out a few deer with no trouble. I didn't shoot them and know the caliber shouldn't be used for that

Thanks for the info. Another question regarding the .204: How is the barrel fouling?

When it first became commercially available, the .17 Fireball was reputed to push a bullet nearly as fast as a .17 Rem. but to have much less fouling -- that was one of the selling points. However, I have found that the Fireball accumulates fouling plenty fast!

not an issue that i've seen with my 204. although generally speaking i'm only pushing my accuracy load at 3800 fps. but factory loads are clocking in just a few fps over 4k and no problems yet.

I have shot the 204 since it came out. 35 gr bergers are the way to go and I push them close to max out of a 26 in savage.

I usually aim for the shoulder bone and have never had an issue. I have killed several hundred with it.

A 20 tac or at least mine is nothing like my 204. The tac don't flatten the coyotes quite like the 204.

I use a 17 fireball as well, but only killed 20 or so with it and 25 gr bergers

Back