Rifle choices

derekbeaudry

Looking for some help here. I bought an 8 twist tikka 22-250 from Whitaker’s a while back and after a bunch of load development work I found a mix of bullet and speed that will work well for coyote calling and sneaking on and shooting bedded coyotes at range if needed. However there is a downside when shooting this lightweight gun with a 70 grain nosler rdf the gun really jumps and recoils significantly more than any other 22-250 I have ever shot to the point that it is noticeable.

Since I already have a 17 Remington in a cz 527 and a custom 8 twist 243 I am thinking of ditching the 22-250 and going with a t3x varmint in a 223. I will be able to shoot the 70s at about 250 FPS slower and can shoot lighter bullets fast enough. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

It sounds like your just wanting less power anyway. There is nothing wrong if the magic formula you like doesn't fit.
If you're not happy then your confidence will diminish.
If it were me I would go lighter on the bullet. I use a 50 gr NBT with 8 twist. Of course it is easy to increase the rifle package weight, bigger scope, steel picatinny rail arm band on butt with half rack of shells and so on.
Like said reduced loads, it is tough to make up those extra grains of powder when it counts. The 250 will almost always do better on coyotes especially in open country.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogThere's a nasty rumor going around that a 223 isn't enough gun to kill coyotes.
I have been feeding that rumor all along.

It’s hard to describe the way the rifle feels. It’s not so much the recoil I am not really recoil sensitive it’s the muzzle jump that’s the bigger issue. If I call in a double or triple after shooting once it jumps so far off target it will be hard to get back on target to get a crack at the others. I am just having a hard time justifying the 15 extra grains of powder for the velocity gains I am getting. The gain isn’t that much considering the extra powder used. This is probably the first rifle I have had that is this light so it could just be I need to get used to how lightweights shoot.

I just built a 22-250 and am now rechambering to 223. Similar thought process I think but I also like to use my rifle for shooting drills so the 223 is the an easy choice to me. I see no point in having a 22-250 and then loading it down to 223 range. I don’t reload so I can’t but for 2, it’s cheaper to just go 223.

Originally Posted By: derekbeaudryIt’s hard to describe the way the rifle feels. It’s not so much the recoil I am not really recoil sensitive it’s the muzzle jump that’s the bigger issue. If I call in a double or triple after shooting once it jumps so far off target it will be hard to get back on target to get a crack at the others. I am just having a hard time justifying the 15 extra grains of powder for the velocity gains I am getting. The gain isn’t that much considering the extra powder used. This is probably the first rifle I have had that is this light so it could just be I need to get used to how lightweights shoot.
I think it's a 10 grain powder dif and yes a lighter rifle does have a little different shooting characteristics.
I have had several 5-6 lb rifles in .22-250 with a small learning curve. Equally having many sets with multiple coyotes killed.
Being in open country those 10 grains of powder translate into what is referred to as authority and flat trajectory. It pays off often.
Maybe you don't need that in your area.
Some guys go to a .243 to shoot the 70 grainers, but then that is even more powder.

If you want little to no muzzle jump with easy follow-up shots get an ar-15 in either 20 practical or .223. Put a suppressor on it and it really shines.

I would not fault a superior coyote cartridge because a rifle was ever so slightly more difficult to shoot. Rather, I would practice with it, improve form and learn to manage that small amount of muzzle jump.

I’ve practiced and studied on this a lot, and I’d bet if you try pulling the weight of the rifle back into your shoulder while applying slightly more pressure back into the butt pad with your shoulder, most of this will go away.

I wouldn’t give up a great cartridge for a mediocre one. I like pictures better than stories
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CZ527I would not fault a superior coyote cartridge because a rifle was ever so slightly more difficult to shoot. Rather, I would practice with it, improve form and learn to manage that small amount of muzzle jump.

I’ve practiced and studied on this a lot, and I’d bet if you try pulling the weight of the rifle back into your shoulder while applying slightly more pressure back into the butt pad with your shoulder, most of this will go away.

I wouldn’t give up a great cartridge for a mediocre one. I like pictures better than stories
wink.gif

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I too bought one of the Whitaker 8" twist 22-250 Tikka T3X rifles. It, like any other fairly lightweight rifle like the Kimbers, needs a bit more "caressing" when shot from a bench or in the field. CZ527's advice is good.

I haven't noticed any difference in recoil or muzzle jump with mine while shooting both 62 grain and 70 grain bullets through it.

DISCLAIMER: In closing, please do not extrapolate what I said above into meaning that I have anything against anyone using the 223 Remington for coyotes.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: CZ527I would not fault a superior coyote cartridge because a rifle was ever so slightly more difficult to shoot. Rather, I would practice with it, improve form and learn to manage that small amount of muzzle jump.

wink.gif

Agree 100% Bought a t3 the first year they came out (7mm08) pull it into your shoulder a little more than usual and smile at the dead critters.

I am so glad you posted this question. The stock design of the tikka is the elephant in the room. I have a T3x in 270 win that recoils like an Ultra mag! Recoil is all over the road. i was thinking about going the 250 route, but Im glad you posted your experience.
I am considering a manners stock to tame the recoil. Manners and another company are suppose to be comping out at the shot show with new, less expensive stocks for the Tikkas.

I spent some time at the range with it again today. Gun shot well as expected still had the muzzle jump but it is a little less when loading the bipod. I am going to continue to shoot and hope that I can get all of its quirks worked out. Like I have said it’s not the gun it’s the shooter I just have to get used to shooting a light rifle.

My first light rifle way back taught me that lightening the trigger pull helped my shooting. Now I automatically adjust down to 2 lbs. Some prefer 3 lbs in cold weather. it is so easy with Tikka's and Sako's. Just pull the mag and back out the screw til it stops(2 lbs.)
Did one yesterday and I believe it took 2.5mm allen.

I shoot a Tikka 243 and ya, it jumps. But I have read all the suggestions and comments and still have thoughts. How much magnification are you using? I turn my power to the lowers settings. It helps to take the wobble and shake out of the crosshairs. Also, in the field, your not going to have time to make sure you have your bipod or sticks "loaded". The dogs probably aren't going to be sticking around to long after the first shot is fired so you need to figure out how to get the second and third shots off pretty quickly. Even a 223 will probably give similar problems under recoil. I hunt for fun. If three come in and I get one.....its good.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogThere's a nasty rumor going around that a 223 isn't enough gun to kill coyotes.

LOL, nothing worse than a taking a sub par .223 to a coyote hunt. If I was out in the wide expanse of the west with the wind and longer ranges, a 22-250 would be my first choice. However, east of the big river and night hunting, a .223 and right bullet will almost always end in a song dog getting a ride in my vehicle...

Originally Posted By: swift oneOriginally Posted By: pyscodogThere's a nasty rumor going around that a 223 isn't enough gun to kill coyotes.

LOL, nothing worse than a taking a sub par .223 to a coyote hunt. If I was out in the wide expanse of the west with the wind and longer ranges, a 22-250 would be my first choice. However, east of the big river and night hunting, a .223 and right bullet will almost always end in a song dog getting a ride in my vehicle...

I hunt the "wide expanse" of the west. I have hunted coyotes with numerous calibers, 22-250, 223, 17-223, and many others. I have taken numerous coyotes beyond 400 yards, all the way out to a little over 600. Years ago when I was not as good at it, I would take out the 22-250 when I expected the ranges to be longer. I gave up on that years ago. All of my kills over 400 yards have been 223. But, I moved on to a 17-223 this year.
Most people do not save hides so it makes no difference.

A 223 will get the job done very well, going to another caliber is most likely the desire to have another gun.

Back