question: find trapped animal, then what?

borrowed time

so, i was watching an episode of Furtakers TV and the guys walked up on a coyote in a trap, still alive. Where-as i cannot use leghold traps here in CO, i may hunt in states that allow it. I am not anti-trapping, in fact i always wanted to run a trap line in my youth but it wasnt to be.

my question is, if i walk up on a live animal in a trap, is it considered ok and humane to put it down and just leave it in the trap for the person to find? or do you just move along and let the trapper do it?

thank you!

Originally Posted By: borrowed timemy question is, if i walk up on a live animal in a trap, is it considered ok and humane to put it down and just leave it in the trap for the person to find? or do you just move along and let the trapper do it?

It is likely illegal to do so in most, if not all states. It is also unethical to do so.

Not sure how you would "put it down", but unless you know what you are doing it would likely lessen the pelt value. Once dead, the animal immediately begins to break down and gasses build up, which after a while will also affect the pelt. A dead trapped animal attracts other predators like eagles, wolves, etc. that will destroy a pelt.

Finally, just because an animal is in a leg hold trap does not mean the trapper is going to kill and keep it. Plenty of trappers release non-target animals, females, young or small ones, for example as part of the overall management of the furbearers.

Yep, observe from a distance and move on.

ok, cool, no problem, not knowing anything about trapping, just wanted to get the right thing to do. thanks for clarification! I would NEVER want to end up doing something that would mess with someone's livelihood, pastime, or whatever. it just struck me that i didnt know what, if anything, to do in a situation like this, glad i asked! I love this forum!
thumbup1.gif

Hey that's a great post in my opinion. I'm a new hunter & haven't encountered or thought about that prior. Glad you brought it up.

Excellent question. Leave it be, it is a crime in WY to harass a legal sportsman. And it would get you a ticket here, even if your intention was humane.

I drove atv by another guys coyote in wy, dog jumps off, I said nope it's not ours, she was reluctant to leave,she looks at me like, but, there's a coyote here!!

Last edited:
Yes, not disagreeing with the above. There may be extenuating circumstances though, depending on the land, ownership and all. I understand the advice to leave the critter alone, also think there can be situations where one may take action.

It’s true, coyotes start to stink not long after dead.

Here in Mn, leave it be. Even through coyote are unprotected, trapping equipment and catches are by law protected, as are sportsman from harassment.

Had a doe hunter help me out once. I was coming into pasture to run my line & he was coming out. Told me he just shot a yote over by down tree. Must've been an easy shot with a 7mag on a double caught dog. Wasn't worth saving pelt. Land owner was notified. He didn't even have permission to be in pasture.

Back