Superformance/hangfires?

pyscodog

Testing some loads this morning using Superformance powder and a 68 grain Berger and a 75 grain V-Max and CCI standard primers. I got three or four hangfires. Temps were in the high 40's. I haven't had this problem before using other powders. Now I am left wondering if its powder or maybe my bolt needs a good cleaning. This is the first time I have used this powder in my 243 improved.

click-boom, slight hesitation before firing. I also had one fail to fire and the primer had really good primer strike. Tried it twice and it never went off. The other 17 rounds were fine.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogclick-boom, slight hesitation before firing. I also had one fail to fire and the primer had really good primer strike. Tried it twice and it never went off. The other 17 rounds were fine.

Quote: think you can rule out the dirty bolt. really sounds to me like a primer issue.

+1

Interesting. I have had this happen with two rounds. First was a 204, using Wolf primers and probably h335. I didn't understand what was happening at the time and thought I had a headspace problem but didn't. Then I thought, since it was an ar, that pockets were loose and the primers were getting jarred loose while being seated.

Next, and far worse, was a 17/223. With cci 400's or wolf, and surplus wc844 or 846, don't remember which off the top of my head. Switching to 450's mostly eliminated it but I went away from those powders in that caliber entirely because it was pretty freaky. Speeds on those rounds was way down and they didn't group of course. It's something of an overbore thing I'm guessing but would like to hear some theories on it. Those ball powders never gave any issues in 223 or 243lbc or anything else I may have tried them in.

Back