Hornady One Shot Cleaner and Lubricant

DiRTY DOG

Anybody use Hornady One Shot Cleaner and Lubricant on ARs? Including the BCG? I've tried other dry lubes for general use in the past and wasn't impressed, but this stuff is great!

I figure it's perfect for the casual user who goes out and only fires a few rounds (like a hunter) and it's a great rust preventative. Cycling my AR actions really feels slick with it, my pump shotgun cycles like glass, and it penetrates deep into all the various small gun parts.

Perhaps regular oils might be better for extended shooting sessions? Is there any reason NOT to use One Shot on an AR for those of us who are not "operators"?

I recently discovered this stuff, cleaned all of my guns with it, and my tools, and all my reloading dies and press, and the squeeky door, and my knives... This stuff might replace everything except dedicated bore cleaners on my bench.

How is the function at 0 to 32 F? Below 0? Put your AR in the freezer overnight and report back. (serious!!)

How is the function in 90 F or above??

Originally Posted By: aclocoHow is the function at 0 to 32 F? Below 0? Put your AR in the freezer overnight and report back. (serious!!)

How is the function in 90 F or above??

^^^This^^
Particularly the part about cold weather. Most of us target shooters and predator/varmint hunters don't subject our AR's to high volume or rapid fire shooting. We do, however, subject them to extremely cold temps on occasion. I don't think you need to put your whole AR in the freezer, but you could give your BCG a good dose and toss it in the freezer just to see if it still moves freely when chilled. Frozen lube can turn your AR into a single shot, which is super annoying when you really need that quick follow-up shot.

Originally Posted By: cjclemens Frozen lube can turn your AR into a single shot, which is super annoying when you really need that quick follow-up shot. Online reviews say it's excellent in Alaska because it doesn't freeze up. It's a dry lube, there's not really anything there to freeze or gunk up. You spray it on, the carrier evaporates, you wipe down the super thin clear layer of dry film.

From Hornady:
Originally Posted By: Hornady
Exceeds the US PRF 63460 and NATO Military minimum load carrying capacity by six times
Surpasses 400 hours Salt and Spray Corrosion Protection (per ASTM B117)
Prevents tarnish, reduces ejection drag, and jamming
High load carrying capacity (metal-to-metal pressure-3000#+)
Heat/Cold resistant to 400°F (200°C) and -40°F

http://www.hornady.com/store/image.php?type=P&id=86137

ive used it in temps up to the low 90's, no problems.

likewise for temps down below freezing. cant say i've had it out suuuuper cold, but into the teens without any freeze up problems.

i dont even do the final wipedown with it - just let it evap and i'm good.

having been a rem oil guy most of my life, this stuff outperforms it huge - especially in the corrosion inhibition department.

its been my goto lube for a couple years now since i stumbled upon it - and i put it thru a whole lot more than take out and do a few shots. It stands up to an afternoon of suppressed shooting dumping extra crap into the action just dandy.

I found a long time ago that rem oil is one of the worst in terms of rust prevention & stopped using it due to that.

I'll have to pick up a can of this & give it a try.

I've been alternating between Fireclean and Mobil 1 full synthetic 0w-20, because that's what my truck takes now. I like the Fireclean even if it is overpriced for what it is IMO, (is it really just vegetable oil?). The Mobil 1 0w-20 is too light weight but it does work. I use them both for my hunting and 3 gun stuff. I've never had a stoppage because of the oil. I don't make them dripping wet but I do reapply every few hundred rounds.

I know you're not supposed to mix Fireclean with other oils but... it hasn't been a problem.. yet...

I'd be interested to hear how the One-Shot works out. After I use up my Fireclean stash I might be in the market for something else.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI found a long time ago that rem oil is one of the worst in terms of rust prevention & stopped using it due to that.

I'll have to pick up a can of this & give it a try.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

lots of data there, but give it a read. its a brutal (in my view) real world test of corrosion resistance for a bunch of gun products.

[edit] im pretty sure that test was one of the things that got me to try one shot out. i was already using the resizing lube and started getting curious about the gun cleaner/lube product and thank you google.

Last edited:
I see frog lube did quite well. friend of mine has been using that for a while & swears by it, says it cleans better than anything else he's tried:

" I'll put it this way, it cleans my AR's BCG better than anything else I've ever used (Break Free CLP doesn't clean it as well)"

This Hornady One Shot Cleaner and Lube is just so EASY plus it works really well. You spray it on from an aerosol can, scrub w/brush to clean, spray it off, re-assemble. No wet oils to collect dust etc.

I have been using Eezox for a long time, it works well. However, according to the rust tests, Hornady is number 1 and Frog lube is very close behind. Must be some fantastic stuff to say the least!

Example: My RCBS Unifliw powder dispensor has always felt slightly rough had light surface rust problems. Dry lube didn't really help the cylinder and Tetra gun oil etc never really stopped the rust.

I cleaned it with Hornady One Shot cleaner and lube by hosing down the inside, and now the cylinder feels like it's rotating on million dollar bearings when it rotates! And I doubt the rust will come back. No worries about powder clinging to wet oils either.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishfrog lube is pretty expensive stuff as well. hornady scores a plus for the price.

and a little bit goes quite a long way too. i buy the big cans and spray it around like its a garden hose and they still seem to last for a LOOONG time.

if you've got a cabelas close - watch the bargain cave, they mark it down like 30% when the caps come in broken. the cap is the first thing i throw away anyway so yea.

Back