What power scope

thoms715

Looking into a scope for my 22Creedmoor. My main purpose for this rifle is predator hunting, so weight is somewhat important. What power is recommended in this case. Will be used from a high rack but mostly from a ground blind. Also low light gathering would be a factor.

I've tried several different scopes over the years from 1-4x up to 4-16x and for the predator hunting I do, I prefer a boring old Leupold 3-9x40 with a duplex reticle. In fact, I prefer that scope on all my hunting rifles, whether it be a deer rifle, elk rifle, or predator rifle. 3 power is low enough to find your target and give enough field of view for close targets and 9 power is enough magnification for when you have to reach out a bit. As far as light gathering, the 40 mm objective gives you plenty of exit pupil throughout the range of magnification to have plenty of brightness. If you think you'd might need more, step up to a 50 mm objective. These are my opinions only and what works for me. Good luck.

Dunno about for 22 creedmoor but I favor scopes with a wide magnification range, good glass, and 30mm tubes. I stay at the low mostly for calling but being able to crank it up is super nice. Sightron STAC is my current one 3-16x44 duplex reticle. Into low light it works great and at dusk makes it look brighter. Once I mount my light on it it gives a clear image how to a good couple hundred yards(cheapo light too, 50 bucks on amazon). I like it for a more budget friendly scope. After playing with a couple nightforce scopes in first focal plane that’s all I want now. So look more into what ranges you’ll be shooting(magnification), how much time you’d guess at having before making a shot(reticle), if you’ll have a light or just day and the bit of moon glow(glass coatings/objective lens), that’s all more important than weight of a scope to me. Especially when you say you’ll be in high racks or ground blinds?

Oh! 30mm tube has zero effect on anything besides the strength of the tube and amount of adjustment. I like to try stretching shots out there so the added adjustment is nice.

Last edited:
To me predator hunting is calling and a fairly short range affair, plus I hunt for pelts most of the time and shoot lower power cartridges. Out to 300 yards my combo guns wear 1-4x20mm and my bolt guns 1.5-6x40mm scopes. I'll take FOV over X's everytime for calling and like to have 40+' on the low end and much prefer 60-100'.

30mm tubes are a little stronger and have more elevation and windage adjustments but don't transmit any more light than a 1". Larger objectives only allow scopes to be as bright at higher magnification and it isn't a big difference. Quality of glass and coatings will make a bigger difference. Usually if is light enough to see a coyote coming with you bare eyes you can see it in a 4x20mm or 6x40mm. Having heavy duplex, German#4 or an illuminated dot will help shooting in low light.

You need to choose what you are comfortable with remember buying a scope isn't like getting married if a scope doesn't turn out to fit your hunting style, they are a lot easier and cheaper to get rid of.

Some of this is just a repeat of Halbach, I was typing at the same time.

Last edited:

A 30mm tube doesn't do much for me. A plain jane 3-9x40 with a 1" tube and duplex reticle is what I prefer for hunting. Most of my shots are under 100 yards on called in predators so 9 power is plenty. My scope normally sits on 4x and I rarely touch it. Brand is up to you. Leupold, Burris, Nikon, Sightron, Vortex, etc... they all make good scopes. I see no need to spend more than $400 to scope a calling rifle.

very much appreciated info from ya'll, am thinking of the 3x9 power range and that's what I have become comfortable on other rifles. Kinda like the Nikon line myself. Now to just catch a sale, will look in on the sales forum also. Thank you.

Thoms, I'm new to this, as I've never shot a coyote yet. I hunt deer so take my post as that from a rookie. Responding as I just went through the same thing.

Tube size doesn't matter. Don't worry about it unless you already have quality rings you want to re-use. Biggest number to look at is the last one.. X50+ would be my recommendation for low light or night hunting.

As far as magnification. Personally I wouldn't go less than 3-9. I liked 4-16 and 5-20, but this would obviously be a personal preference. I hunt 3-9 on my rifled barrel shotgun for deer season.

My biggest recommendation would be to check the scopes out in person. I was fortunate enough to have good sales reps at Scheels and Cabelas that let me take the scopes to dark areas, or outside. The manufacture/ glass are incredibly different between manufactures. I'd say you really get what you pay for. I found it easiest to figure out my budget, and work backwards.

Good Luck!

I have a Leupold scope on every rifle I own. My favorite for calling day or night is the VX3 4.5X14 40MM with the Duplex crosshair. I put that on my Sako 22-250. Another great scope is the VX3 3.5X10 with the Duplex crosshair.

For daytime calling I just put them on the lowest setting unless I need to crank it up. At night I set them to about 7 power and crank them up if required.

Back