Old IMR 4350 vs new IMR 4350

Matlock

I have two different 1 lb containers of IMR 4350. One is older - when IMR powders still came in the rectangular metal containers - and one is newer - round plastic container. Neither of them have dates, so I don't know exactly the age of each container.

I know good reloading practices dictate you should always rework your loads when switching lots of powder. I'm just curious if anything has changed with this powder since Hodgdon bought IMR that I'm going to potentially see drastically different load results from the old to the new? A bit of Internet research has led me to believe maybe the powder became more standardized with H4350 - although not the same - after Hodgdon acquired IMR, but you never know what you can believe on Internet forums
smile.gif

FYI - I'm planning to use this for load development in my .270, specifically using Sierra 90g HP.

Dupont used to make the IMR powders. When Hodgdon took it over they didn't match the powder exactly. I used to shoot IMR 4895 37 grains out of my 22-250. That is still listed as a max load but if you load it that hot you will have problems. I tried it in 4 different rifles and had trouble with all of them.

Also the IMR 4831 by Hodgdon is a lot hotter than the old Dupont powder. If I tried my original load now it would blow up the rifle. I have my old reloading books when Dupont made IMR powders and I've looked at the Hodgdon site to compare.

Be careful.

This was exactly my concern. The IMR 4350 I have says 'Manufactured in Canada for IMR Powder Co.' I also have a metal jug of IMR 4831 that says 'Formely Supplied by DuPont' on the front as well as the same manufacturing info as the IMR 4350 on the back.

If I had to venture an educated guess, based on the fact that the guy I bought these from also threw in his old Speer Reloading Manual #12 and Nosler Reloading Guide #4 - both which were published in the mid 90s - I'd say these were more than likely bought around that time-frame. But that would simply be a guess.

Back