Bobcat tracks or...?

ZetaTheCoyote

So I think I found a sweet hunting spot on the borders of Perry and Breathitt Counties in southeastern Kentucky, and in terms of terrain it seems the best out of all the places I've been to in the state for bobcats. However I wanted to get the opinion of others on if they think the NUMEROUS pawprints I found (there were types of all different species but I took photographs of the ones that seemed most catlike in shape/stride) are actually those of a bobcat. I compared them to images of bobcat tracks I have seen on the internet but am no expert, so I'm still unsure. Here are the images: https://www.facebook.com/drew.preston.44/posts/1933133116701032?pnref=story

As for the hunting spot go to page #63 of this report: https://encompass.eku.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1116&context=etd The southernmost part of M1 is the location that seemed best suited for bobcat habitat; I judge this not only off of the satellite imagery and the GPS point plotting in the report, but actually having walked out there this morning to hunt it seems absolutely fantastic, with tall grasses and brush and very good vision for the hunter to get shots in.

Off topic, but do you know Al Prather (PossumAl). Noticed you all are from the same area. He's a very nice and helpful guy and he hasn't been around here in a while.

I did see a lot of tracks with the claws extended, which I assumed to be coyote tracks. I had read that bobcat tracks do not have the claws extended so I was guessing that's what they were but...

Coyote tracks bud. Look at the pad of the track. Cats has a rhombus shaped pad with 3 dimples down 2 up and coyotes have 3 down and 1 up making it look like a triangle. Also dog tracks you can see a perfect X in them due to the symmetry in their track. Cats are wide and very unsymmetrical, even the pointer toe leads forward of the 2 middle toes. And in mud or snow or other slippery conditions cats will have their claws out so don’t go by that. Keep looking though! Even though you don’t see their track doesn’t mean they’re not there.

Not a member of Facebook so picture just flashes but here's a good picture of difference between coyote and cat tracks.

38928388712_c6e3ec81bd.jpg

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153--146656--,00.html

Hot Link

Regards,
hm

Thats coyote tracks. If your gonna try to hunt that area you better be in good shape lol. I hunt that area and the surrounding areas, the hollows are deep and steep. There are cats in there, I've seen em plenty times. If you get back down this way I could show you around and maybe make a stand or two.

Last edited:
Just now saw your recent post on my thread.... you're a local? I'm all the way in Jessamine County so it's a bit of a drive for me but on the Breatthit/Perry Line, it did seem like the best place. I might have to take you up on that offer to make one or two stands and be shown around. I'll take any assistance I can get since I'm a real greenhorn at all this.

Back