Bipod vs shooting sticks?

badger_29

i realized the other day that my bipod is always getting in the way of my shooting sticks. Should I just loose the bipod? I can't be the only one taking both... Or am I?

i use Primos steady sticks, work great for me. i have a Savage Axis in .223. i love the gun but the stock is to weak to shoot accurately with a bipod mounted on the forearm.

I'll take sticks over a bipod any day. To me sticks allow more freedom of movement if I have to adjust or pick up the rifle and swing for a shot. But I make my sticks. I do keep a 9-13 Harris on my rifle though in case I have the opportunity to go prone. With the areas I hunt the grass is just too tall to lay down.

Last edited:
I have a shorty bipod on my AR most of the time, but it's more so I can set it down and not fill it full of dirt if I want to use the shotgun. I use my Primos Trigger Sticks pretty religiously now when shooting the rifle. I quite like them for my kind of hunting.

I ran a 9-13 Harris S on my savage axis .223. Never had any accuracy issues with it. Outstanding performance out to 400yds with 60gr pills. When I yote hunted with that rifle, I always had it setting on top of a Stoney point bipod/ shooting sticks. I never felt the Harris was in the way. It worked quite well for me.

I prefer the bipod. I’m much more steady...

That’s also why I’ve never driven over to do the egg shoot. I don’t even know how to shoot off sticks anymore.

I use a monopod. I've used bipods before and they're alright I just prefer the monopod over them because no matter what kind of terrain I'm calling in I have something steady to shoot from and can move pretty easy without snagging anything while I'm moving to get a shot if I have to.

Ive always used shooting sticks, currently using the Primos model. It works well with the lighter weight rifles but struggles with the heavier AR10's I have. Might go with a bipod on those rifles.

I ditched the bipod years ago. Others don't have problems but they just added weight to my rifle and always seemed to be catching on something. Collapsible sticks do just that.....often at the dangdest time (collapsible tripod cost me a Gemsbok when a leg collapsed just as the shot broke), so I'd rather trust my home built sticks, one set of standing length and one set for sitting.

Sticks make decent walking sticks and in snake country come in handy to poke ahead when walking through high grass. Also adding a little netting on sitting sticks tends to mask movement when using hand calls.

35703381665_5bb0df56d9_o.jpg

Cheap and easy to make; have never had a knot slip (once superglued) or a leg collapse on these:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2181379

Regards,
hm

Definitely prefer shooting sticks. I use the bog-pod brand, and just bought the swivel sling mount for them. So the shooting sticks can attach to the rifle. But it still allows the rifle to swivel and pivot.

I use the longest Harris Swivel B-Pod that extends to 27" for shooting prone and sitting on flat ground.

I have not had a problems using shooting sticks with Bi-Pods on my rifles.

To use the 27" swivel Bi-Pod for shooting prone I put my elbows on a little high spot or the legs in a little bit of a low spot. Most of the places I use a rifle I am on a small hill or a slope so the longer Bi-Pod works great for shooting prone.

I would much rather have a bipod. I like the tall champions they are 14-29". Its a little tall for most prone shooting but the extra height is nice in grass or uneven country. The champion isn't well built and they don't last all that long but the added 2 inches of height when sitting is much more comfortable for me and I'm not a tall guy.

I despise shooting sticks only because its just one more thing to carry. I like having a lanyard around my neck, a rifle on my back and maybe a FoxPro in one hand maybe. I hate having to carry multiple items into stands especially on long walks in the river breaks.

My bipod worked mainly as a kickstand when I set my rifle down. To each his own. I ditched the bipod and run the tall bipod shooting sticks from Stoney Point, now under the Primos name. Much more versatile. But again, to each his own. I am not bagging on guys that use bipods I just don't find them as versatile as sticks. But then again we don't have miles of wide open prairie like some guys have to hunt over.

Originally Posted By: swift oneI ran a 9-13 Harris S on my savage axis .223. Never had any accuracy issues with it. Outstanding performance out to 400yds with 60gr pills. When I yote hunted with that rifle, I always had it setting on top of a Stoney point bipod/ shooting sticks. I never felt the Harris was in the way. It worked quite well for me.

interesting.... maybe i'll try to put my harris clone on it again and see if it was just a fluke or really does make it bounce/inaccurate. thanks for the info!
thumbup.gif

Like others have mentioned, the only reason I keep a bi-pod on the rifle is for when I need to set it down. It’s much safer than leaning it up against something, with the chances of it falling and going off or knocking the scope out of alignment. I hunt with a bog-pod tripod.

I started with a bipod and finally went to shooting sticks. I had a cheap junky set at first because I wasn't convinced but I could tell after the first three sets that it was just better. At least for where I hunt. Its hilly around here so a bipod just doesn't work well. The shooting sticks are lighter and allow me to instantly adjust for an uphill sot or downhill shot. I have to carry one more thing but thats not a big problem for me. I use bogs pod now. Love them. Tried a couple sets of the primos trigger sticks from friend but never liked them. They seemed like they have a really good thing going but just not quite there yet for me. To many people I know say they have issues raising after a while.

Last edited:
Back