How to get my 1911 to fit my hands a bit better?

Rock Knocker

I've got a SW1911TA that I'm quite fond of and love to shoot, the one problem I have with it is that when I have even light weight gloves on it becomes a handful.

I also put a 460 Rowland kit on it and it's run them flawlessly, but I put that kit on there for some bear protection and I usually hunt with gloves on. So when I practice I do a lot of one handed draws and try to get rounds off quick, but just having a pair of gloves on really slows me down.

So I was wondering what exactly I could change in the grip and trigger to fit my gloved hands a bit better. Its got a checkered front strap and checkered flat mainspring housing, it looks like I could swap the mainspring housing for another checkered one that fits a bit more flush, the stock checkering sits quite proud. I was also wondering if I could have the front of the grip altered to maintain some checkering but lower them a bit. I plan on getting the shorter trigger, which I believe will make the largest improvement.

I shoot thumb over safety, no problem without gloves but with just the mechanix style gloves I normally wear things become a clumsy handful.

Let me know about any helpful mods you may know about. Thanks!

If I understand the problem is a thick grip and longish trigger reach? The sharp checkering bites you when shooting heavy loads? Might go to slim grip bushings and smooth/partially checkered thin grips. A short trigger might help. Have a good gunsmith knock the tops off the checkering on the frontstrap and install a smooth flat backstrap.

Brownell's sells a set of micarta "thin" grips. They are just black and checkered nicely. They are not expensive to the point that trying them wouldn't be out of the question if you find you don't like them.

Not sure I fully understand whats not working for you but I've got smaller hands & DC a FS 1911. Gloves don't really effect me much. Use Oakley tactical. One thing that I did do that made all the difference in the world was the Wilson Combat extended mag release. Took a bit of fitment but being able to drop n swap w/o repositioning my hand was huge for me.

Sorry, computer was down for a couple days.

My problem with gloves on and thumb over safety is that when I grab the gun from the holster and naturally put my thumb over the safety my trigger finger is tightly wrapped around the hair trigger. When I draw I have to focus on grabbing the gun naturally and stretching my trigger finger way out or grabbing the gun unnaturally, slightly sideways in my hand(not enjoyable), I then have to reach for the safety but the trigger feels natural.

I've seen those slimmer grip panels also, I'm thinking of trying them out but I like the stock wood grips and I don't really want the grip slimmer just not quite such a long ways to the trigger. I believe a shorter trigger and a mainspring housing that fits flusher to the frame would be what I'm looking for. I just wasn't sure how many people tinker with their 1911 grips.

Remember that if you decide to try the slim grips, you have to change the grip bushings to short bushings. Personally, I have small/medium hand size and prefer a combination of slim grips, flat mainspring housing and short trigger. That makes a 1911 feel perfect to me.

Back