Struggling in Montana!

Jim Byers

Hey guys, need some inspiration..

Haven't been calling since labor day weekend.. work, life and helping friends fill freezers this fall kept me from the sage..
Anyways, have made it out twice in the last two weeks.
First trip..called all day...Got 8 total stands in I think. Only got dogs to talk to me on one of those. Pup distress got a triple coming on a run but they saw something and bugged out..
Yesterday I headed out for a half day.. Got coyote to answer on two of the four stands.. both times a pair was close. Within 1200 yards.. they chat with me a bit and fade away.. I'm thinking others are calling these spots as well since we don't have much snow yet and access is pretty easy so I've been trying different sounds..

But nothing is working..perhaps it's the bright moon, bad timing but frustrating when my usual bag of tricks for public isn't producing...

Times like these when I wish I had a good partner.

I'm not in Montana, but I usually have no luck in Nov. thru Dec. Jan is a different story. Only thing I can think of here is deer seasons are over. ????????? don't know

I typically don't do much October and November. Our general rifle season is in and public is crawling with deer, elk and antelope hunters.. I'll be back at it next Friday..unless we get some new snow.. I've got a lion permit in my pocket and I'm up to bat.
My buddy Justin treed this one for his father... apparently getting one for your dad trumps buddy status..lol ][/url]

Nice! Big cat, 160 lbs or so maybe. Jim, it has sucked here around the Capitol area with all the hunters out. Heading out to more open country North and East. Far too many youngsters callin from the truck, too lazy to walk a bit I guess.

I think your spot on. Lack of snow makes it too easy for those guys. I need it to get real cold and snow where snow shoes are required. Last winter when it got like that only tracks I saw where of coyote and me...

I went 12 stands about with nothing and here in the past few days they’ve been being responsive. Same spots that were dead a couple weeks ago now have coyotes. We had full moon, clear nights, 11 degrees and colder, and now we have 20-30 and cloudy. Musta changed their mood. Good luck to ya! Wish we could run hounds here, sounds so fun!

Wish I wasn't so far on the other side of the state. I could use some good calling partners. I think it's getting tougher all over the state. Especially with the price of coyotes being high. Everyone thinks they are a coyote caller if they have a thumb to push a button on a foxpro remote. Some real cold weather will thin out the wannabes.

I hunted an area with so much coyote crap on the two tracks I almost had to put it in 4 wheel drive! I hunted from 0730 to 441 and never saw ,heard a coyote. Got great excersize and found a nice 4 point.

Back