Athlon Talos

pyscodog

Well, I bought one of these today to put on the Weatherby TRR. Its 4-14x44 FFP. First FFP scope I have ever owned. First thoughts after mounting it, its extremely clear through the power range. Turrents have a good feel also. Not to tight, not to loose, but the illumination knob is TIGHT, but doubt it gets a lot of use anyway. I think it may take a little getting use to. I looked at the higher power scopes but didn't feel like I needed 24 power for what I plan to use the rifle/scope for. Mainly punching paper and hunting. Reviews are typical, love it or hate it but all said the warranty and customer service is great. Hope I don't need it. Up date after I get to the range.

Someone did a review on AS and they really liked the two that they tested. I havent got to look through any of them yet. Be sure to let us know how it does please!!

Theres a great write up by a guy testing these scopes in the optics forum on Accurate Shooter. Seems to be a new upcomer in the optics world.

Made it to the range today. The Talos worked great. Adjustments were spot on and the clarity of the glass was really good too. I didn't get to do a lot of testing today but don't see anything not to like about the scope.

Talos is good enough, for the money. (emphasis on, for the money)

However, I believe athlon to be over-hyped, in the extreme. Their more expensive scopes are quite bad compared to similarly priced options from competitors.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogNot all of us have the sponsors you have either, (emphasis on sponsors). What are you talking about? I don't have any sponsors. What empowers you to respond with a bold face lie like that?

I have more experience with athlon's product line than most. I have more experience with competing products than most. Here's my athlon scopes...

HhlRawPh.jpg

How many athlon scopes do you have?

I've put about 30,000rnds of combined rimfire/centerfire down range beneath athlons. What's your round count with them?

ItdU1Hkh.jpg

The talos is NOT on the same level as vortex PST. The turrets on the talos are mushy in the extreme in comparison, and the clicks tend to not line up with the markings on the turret. Just like bushnell lrs's and many other scopes. The glass is VERY good for a $300 scope. Reticle is good to go as well. ... but what the talos is and isn't has NOTHING to do with my financial status. It has to do with the facts of how it performs compared to others in its price range.

There are far too many people proclaiming this or that about products which they only possess one of. That is exactly how athlon scopes have been overhyped. The people getting them are often just like you, experiencing FFP for the first time. They often don't have enough experience with enough different brands/models to truly know where athlon stacks up. The thing is, if folks have enough experience, they definitely aren't shy about sharing that fact. They can prove it. I can happily prove what I'm saying any time.

I respect the fact that you just got a new scope, and you're liking it. Though please do try to remain objective, and calm in the face of facts. I'm not a guy you're going to pull the rug out from under. I know all about the athlons and where they are positioned compared to their competition. I know because I've used nearly ALL of the athlons and nearly all of the competitors scopes. It's part of what I do. So please do not go telling lies about me just because my facts don't match up with your opinions.

Enjoy your talos, and I'm sure you'll be getting more FFP scopes in the future.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWell, excuse me for being wrong. But I don't lie either. You weren't just wrong. You attempted to debase me to anyone reading my post by insinuating that I don't pay for my optics, so my opinion of athlon didn't have value. If that is not what your intention, then what WAS your intent of that post?

... and now rather than simply apologize as a grown, logical man, you snip at me and argue semantics?

Has the internet caused you to be incapable of being genuine and sincere? Why do you view me as an enemy to be conquered?

If you took exception to my post regarding athlon, you could have began a polite discourse and we could go over everything, point by point, logically, like grown adults... could you not? We could indeed have gone over each feature of the scope, one by one, comparing it with our own first hand experiences against other optics you and I own or have owned, for the benefit of all.

You said something about me, in a public space, that was wrong. Period. There is only one course of action that will repair your honor and set things right. ... if you have an interest in such things.

After that, there's plenty of room to discuss the technical merits of one scope, or one scope versus another. After that.

I'm not going to debate this with you any longer. When I said "sponsor", I assumed you were/are affiliated with Primal Rights.Therefore, If I am wrong, I am wrong. No problem admitting that. Being wrong doesn't mean I'm a liar and I do take offense to that. Thats the best your gonna get from me.And the last.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogI'm not going to debate this with you any longer. When I said "sponsor", I assumed you were/are affiliated with Primal Rights.Therefore, If I am wrong, I am wrong. No problem admitting that. Being wrong doesn't mean I'm a liar and I do take offense to that. Thats the best your gonna get from me.And the last. There's nothing to debate. I'm not "affiliated" with Primal Rights. I own Primal Rights. Yet what does that have to do with anything at all?

Don't go assuming things. If you want to know something, ask. Yet if you were interested in facts rather than trying to debase my comment about athlon, you'd likely have asked.

Back