Ok I’m thinking about a new scope for my calling rifle?

zr600

I’m looking for a new scope for my calling rifle. I’m thinking about a Leupold vx5hd 3-15 how would this glass compare to a nightforce nxs? I do end up with some longer shots so I like to have the ability to have an elevation turret, and a wind Plex type reticle that is moa based. But the nightforce is to heavy for carrying out chasing coyotes. What would be some other good options I currently have a vortex pst geni 4-16 and I’m very disappointed in the glass on it.

The Zeiss is good glass and the HD5 sale price at about $700 makes it pretty appealing (3-15). I do not have the wind plex just 5-10 mph.
The Swarovski Z5 does have the windplex 3-18 on sale around $11-1200.

I happened to have used and owned every scope you mentioned. The VX5 HD glass is very good. It is considerably better than the glass found in an NXS. Gen 1 Vortex glass was a joke, agreed.

None of the above are going to be nearly as good in low to no light as a high end Zeiss, HD5, DL or V6- all killer optics.

Given the amount of Leupolds I’ve broken in the last 6 months by simply using the erector system (a VX6 and a 2 Mark 4s)
I’ll never buy another.

Leupold makes a great scope, but not for dialing. If you want to dial, why not a Nightforce SHV 3x10x42? Weighs 20 oz and with the MOAR reticle will give you the holdover marks you want as well. Will cost about the same as the Leupold. Nightforce may not have the greatest glass in the world, but it is adequate and when you go to dial, you know it is going to consistently track.

Originally Posted By: zr600I’m looking for a new scope for my calling rifle. I’m thinking about a Leupold vx5hd 3-15 how would this glass compare to a nightforce nxs? I do end up with some longer shots so I like to have the ability to have an elevation turret, and a wind Plex type reticle that is moa based. But the nightforce is to heavy for carrying out chasing coyotes. What would be some other good options I currently have a vortex pst geni 4-16 and I’m very disappointed in the glass on it.

You won't be disappointed in the glass on this one. Windplex reticle and exposed elevation turret.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-INSTINCT-CUSTOM-TURRET-SCOPE/2347383.uts?slotId=3

Meopta scope, same as the old conquest, except the turrets are right handed like most scopes. Only about 32 moa vertical adjustment, and you will need a canted base of some sort or Burris offset ring inserts just to get the adjustment centered up. Not sure what's up with that but it's the only negative IMO.

Originally Posted By: archer_204Leupold makes a great scope, but not for dialing. If you want to dial, why not a Nightforce SHV 3x10x42? Weighs 20 oz and with the MOAR reticle will give you the holdover marks you want as well. Will cost about the same as the Leupold. Nightforce may not have the greatest glass in the world, but it is adequate and when you go to dial, you know it is going to consistently track.
Archer204, that SHV does look to be a good deal. I noticed the turrets are capped, can you just leave the caps off except for bad weather? I hope they come out with more magnifications with a similar objective size. Their 56mm objective scopes measures 2.5 inches, and that’s a little to much height for me.

I mostly leave my caps on as this one is on my calling rifle and rarely need to dial with this setup. The turrets are open, so I don’t think I’d leave them off long term. I’d love to see them come with a 42 mm objective that goes 14/15 power in a shv.

If you want to dial often, you’d be better served with the NXS, but it is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade in price and quality. My long range hunting rigs carry a NXS and an ATACR. Nothing tracks better/more consistently than a NF.

I didn't want to reply until I had at least one trip to the range with the Athlon Talos. I like it alot. Did everything I expected it to do. Might give them a look.

I asked the folks at NF about the turret caps on the SHV. Everything is sealed so you can leave them off your heart desires. As far as dialing a Leupy, not a problem for occasional use if you don't abuse the system. FWIW, I have NF NXF, SHV, and Leupy scopes. The NF scopes only go on my boat anchor of a pig rifles.

I run a trijicon on my R25 243. Green mildot. It's only a 3x9 but when I find the right deal on a 5-20 I'll be buying it. The tritium/fiber dot to me is way better than batteries if you hunt under the moon at all. Glass is very clear. Highly recommend.

204AR
Just gave you some excellent advise, the Meopta scope Cabelas has is optically better than anything mentioned yet, and would blow your old Viper away. Get the one with locking turrets and at the $700 price point you probably cant find better glass. If your not going to twist the dails thousands of times forget about the NF option its not relivant.
Good Luck
thumbup1.gif

If you plan on twisting turrets much forget about Leupold. Their tracking sux. NSX is a MUCH better scope for that and I don't agree that VX-5HD glass blows away NSX glass.

If you're looking for durability and accurate repeatable tracking Nightforce is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: zr600I’m looking for a new scope for my calling rifle. I’m thinking about a Leupold vx5hd 3-15 how would this glass compare to a nightforce nxs? I do end up with some longer shots so I like to have the ability to have an elevation turret, and a wind Plex type reticle that is moa based. But the nightforce is to heavy for carrying out chasing coyotes. What would be some other good options I currently have a vortex pst geni 4-16 and I’m very disappointed in the glass on it.

I've used Leupold, and currently own the NXS line, 3.5-15X56, 5.5-22X56, 8-32X56 and the 12-42X56 (all MOA based). Both are great optics, if you are looking for a "step up" in options I would look at the USO line if you can save a little more to spend. I'm a dealer and currently use pretty much every optic they make or "recently" made (MOA and MIL based), such as the SR8S, MR10, LR17's, ER-25's, B17 and B25's. Any questions PM me, I'll be honest based on use.

Back