Remington 700 sps 6.5 creedmoor

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Does anyone here have any experience with the Remington 700 SPS in 6.5 creedmoor yet?

I see Remington offers it now in the SPS and SPS tactical.

edited for spelling
blush.gif

Last edited:
CreedMOOR...haha that's just one of the things that bugs me.

Personally I'd stay away from any Remington nowadays. They're Quality control has really dropped in the past few years and there's a lot better factory rifles out there. Howa, Tikka, Weatherby and even the Ruger's are all rifles I'd look at in the same budget if I were buying a factory rifle now.

And don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the Remington 700's I have. They shoot awesome but they are quite a few years old and built before their QC took a nose dive.

Originally Posted By: Clocked92CreedMOOR...haha that's just one of the things that bugs me.

Personally I'd stay away from any Remington nowadays. They're Quality control has really dropped in the past few years and there's a lot better factory rifles out there. Howa, Tikka, Weatherby and even the Ruger's are all rifles I'd look at in the same budget if I were buying a factory rifle now.

And don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the Remington 700's I have. They shoot awesome but they are quite a few years old and built before their QC took a nose dive.

Good advice^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On the other hand I have purchased 2 newer 700's and they are very nice shooting rifles. I would not hesitate to try one chambered in Creedmoor.

Originally Posted By: Dirty HippieOn the other hand I have purchased 2 newer 700's and they are very nice shooting rifles. I would not hesitate to try one chambered in Creedmoor.

I'm not saying they don't still make a good rifle. I'm just saying that there are other manufacturers out there that have come in and either matched or exceeded the quality of the 700 for a lower price. I'd be willing to bet that the higher end 700's such as the Sendero's or the 5r's are built a little better, but the SPS is about as budget as it gets nowadays.

Have been shooting an SPS sporter for two months, And love it. Only mods are a HS Precision stock I had laying around and a trigger job. Running Hornady Factory 140 Grain ELD match ammunition, Gives consistent 1/2 MOA accuracy.

22904856_10209794893901636_2636951460086623516_o.jpg

Yellowhammer, I do have an SPS tactical in the 6.5 CM. I am pleased with it so far. I do understand the conversation about Remingtons QC as of late, however, I have had good luck with the SPS.I stick a Timney in my 700's and run em. I am not shooting bench competition, just hunting with them. For the money, they have run great for me. Also, I do like the aftermarket parts available for that platform. This target was just a middle of the road load I picked for the 120gr eld-m for barrel break in. The rifle maybe had 20 rnds down the tube when I shot this. Also, did some quick ballistic calculator work to get my drops at 500 yds. First shot at a 12" plate rang the bell.
6.5 CM Target by jrhranch, on Flickr
6.5 Creedmoor (1) by jrhranch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Remingtons actions made on the newest CNC machinery in Alabama are darn true actions. I bought several, did not true them. ONe is a 6 Dasher and a 6 XC, they are incredible shooters to say the least shooting bug holes.

On resale, Remington will hold the value, not so much on other actions.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanRemingtons actions made on the newest CNC machinery in Alabama are darn true actions. I bought several, did not true them. ONe is a 6 Dasher and a 6 XC, they are incredible shooters to say the least shooting bug holes.

In the past year or so, I've had two good custom gunsmiths tell me that the 700 actions Remington is putting out now are truer and require far less work to get right for re-barreling than the "good ones" from yester years. CNC machining is the key.

I just wish that Remington would bring back some of their better offerings like the old BDL Varmint Special with new machining. Maybe in 6MM Remington? Yowsa!!

I recently had Karl Kampfeld (Kampfeld Custom) flute some Rem 700 bolts and true up a couple Rem 700 actions. One of the actions was a new production Rem 700 the other was an older Rem 700 action and I asked him this same question, are the older Rem 700 better than the new ones, he too said the new 700's are actually more true than the older ones.

There will always be some debate on whether or not Rem 700's need to be trued. For me, it's peace of mind and it doesn't cost that much so I always have them trued up but there are plenty that don't and they seem to have rifles that shoot well too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanRemingtons actions made on the newest CNC machinery in Alabama are darn true actions. I bought several, did not true them. ONe is a 6 Dasher and a 6 XC, they are incredible shooters to say the least shooting bug holes.

Ditto What Ackleyman Said ^^^^

Back