Side Charge Complete Upper

Delta Dog

Hello,

New to the forum, sort of. I had to get a new username and am pretty sure my information and posts wont show up like they used to.

I am looking to put together a coyote/cat AR, preferable a side-charge design.

I know the parts I would like and how I want the build to turn out, but I am a newb when it comes to AR builds and may not be able to get the gas system adjusted all by my lonesome.

Anyone out there help new guys like me get set up and assembled?

Jake

Wormydog,
Good to know there are guys like you out there, even though Texas isn’t out my back door.

I appreciate the encouragement. I was told to go with an adjustable gas block, and tuning the whole system had me wanting to buy a barreled upper. However, putting it together myself is the only way to end up with the build i want.

I’ll put together a build list and may reach out again for input.

Jake

if its a 223/5.56 just put it togther like you would any other upper. that charging handle doesnt add THAT Much weight to the reciprocating mass of the carrier.

unless you're working with something pretty far outside the box, i dont think you'll have many issues.

as mentioned - give us some more info, preferable a full parts list, and folks will be glad to help you out.

Are you looking at a left side or right side charging handle? I've got a JoeBob's Left side charge handle and love it. Unless it's carried on a sling, on my back or my chest for very long. For long carries the charging handle digs into my back/chest pretty bad. Slung over my shoulder doesn't bother anything.

Just something to keep in mind while you're shopping.

P.S. Did I mention that I love the JoeBob's sidecharger unless walking long distances?

Originally Posted By: SubpaRAre you looking at a left side or right side charging handle? I've got a JoeBob's Left side charge handle and love it. Unless it's carried on a sling, on my back or my chest for very long. For long carries the charging handle digs into my back/chest pretty bad. Slung over my shoulder doesn't bother anything.

Just something to keep in mind while you're shopping.

P.S. Did I mention that I love the JoeBob's sidecharger unless walking long distances?

ive got one of the origional LAR-ops4 left handed SC uppers.

as someone with optics on almost all of their uppers - ive fought traditional rear charging uppers for too long.

after using it for a while, lets just say that if budget were no issue, i'd have retrofitted all my uppers to SC's already. its a long term goal though. one at a time
smile.gif

i've got a BCA RH on the way right now, to go with my christmas/b-day gift to me build. its a 20" rifle gas barrel, and i'm not even gonna put an AGB on it, just a normal gb.

Thanks guys,

I’m looking at starting out with a .223. I would go with a 204, but, I am wanting to stay at a 18-20” Barrel, which makes the 204 pointless. I plan to end up with a 17-223 and by that time I will have plenty of brass.

Upper
Left side charging non-reciprocating upper from either NFA, X-products, or Gibz.
Hand guard
JP or other that is slim fitting and flush with the upper.
Barrel
National match contour, non threaded. I’d love a BHW, but that’s pushing my budget. May wait until I can afford it though
Lower
No real preference on the lower. Just quality.
Stock
May go with the UBR. If not, probably the standard A2. If PSA would put their UBR lower on sale that would just make things a lot easier.
Trigger
Probably the RR 2-stage.

I know that leaves a lower parts kit and the gas block as well as the BCG. Maybe something else I’m forgetting. I know these are critical choices, i just don’t know enough to have a preference.

My vision is to build a relatively light but solid calling rifle for dogs and cats within 250yds here in the south.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

You might talk with Ritch about a tube I think you might be surprised with what he can get you fr the $$'s. I can guarantee the potential for accuracy will be there.

Greg

Back