Looking at a new to me hunting 4x4 vehicle?

Coyotejunki

I am presently looking to buy a used vehicle. One is a Jeep Wrangler unlimited or a Toyota Tacoma ext cab. These two are the top of my list presently. Any advice on these two?

With the Wrangler, the regular sport and I see a lot of the Sahara's around here. Though I am wondering if I should just get the Rubicon and run it as is.

And with the Tacoma, I thought about running it pretty much stock, maybe slightly bigger tires. I wasn't planning on running tall lift kits on either.

I have had a number of Jeeps and more Nissans which I still have.
The Nissans get around almost as good as the jeeps with less repairs and more capacity.
I have several friends with Toyota's and they are very comparable except price. You pay a premium but also get a little more resale.
Toyota has an edge for aftermarket.
I run most all of my stuff stock and get by very well in some rough stuff.

a rubicon is in a class all of its own. lockers front and rear along with the sway bar that you can disconnect from inside. no other vehicle that i know of offers this from the factory. unless you have ever driven a vehicle with lockers, you do not really know what a 4 wheel drive is capable of. but not everybody needs lockers for what they intend to do with the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnota rubicon is in a class all of its own. lockers front and rear along with the sway bar that you can disconnect from inside. no other vehicle that i know of offers this from the factory. unless you have ever driven a vehicle with lockers, you do not really know what a 4 wheel drive is capable of. but not everybody needs lockers for what they intend to do with the vehicle.

You are right and I have had both lockers, No lockers and currently have a factory rear locker with inside switch.
Lockers are great and all four in mud is noticeable. All four locked in icy conditions can be trouble for some.
I have been perfectly content with rear lock only and get away without most of the time. Of course good tires count too.

I haven't drove either much since the 80's. I drove a few CJ's (I think) around '82 and my brother had a standard cab Toyota 4x4 bare bones truck back in 87 that I drove for a couple weeks. Both impressed me back then, I am sure they have changed since. Those little civilian jeeps were a blast to drive back then and the military M38?, whole-lotta-mo fun than those 6x6's.

I hear stories though how jeep owners are plagued with problems,like front end issues, death wobble etc...

Is that mostly BS? I don't plan on going serious rock crawling however I would like to go more area's out west that I wont take a full sized Chevy.

No rocks to crawl down here but the 2002 TJ has been a match for everything we encounter. Never stuck it in the local sand dunes or deep mud. Can't say that for the full sized Chevy.

I did have to put a 4" lift kit on the Jeep due to the heavy loads often carried on rear boom and high center on many of the sandy twotracks where I hunt.

The Jeep is great to hunt out of with windows removed.

35319193840_bd9b1fbee5_z.jpg

34842849694_649b9ffb54_c.jpg

Heard good things about the Toyota PU's as well but never owned one.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI haven't drove either much since the 80's. I drove a few CJ's (I think) around '82 and my brother had a standard cab Toyota 4x4 bare bones truck back in 87 that I drove for a couple weeks. Both impressed me back then, I am sure they have changed since. Those little civilian jeeps were a blast to drive back then and the military M38?, whole-lotta-mo fun than those 6x6's.

I hear stories though how jeep owners are plagued with problems,like front end issues, death wobble etc...

Is that mostly BS? I don't plan on going serious rock crawling however I would like to go more area's out west that I wont take a full sized Chevy.

Dan, both the Wrangler and the Tacoma have changed so much since then, you might as well try and forget what they "were" like. Neither vehicle is now anything like what there were then.

Jeep front end issues and DW... Not all BS, a lot of truth to it. But, there's a lot more to the story, too. DW is an inherent issue with any coiled and linked solid front axle. Actually, it happens with leaf sprung live axle rigs too, just not nearly as common.

Heck, I have actually experienced DW in a two wheel drive truck. It can happen to almost any suspension design. But coiled and linked live axles provide the most opportunity for combining wear points to allow the resonant frequency oscillation to start.

DW can be a real PITA to track down and cure, but it always ends up being worn or damaged front end/suspension parts. The thing that makes it sometimes difficult to diagnose and treat is that it is often a combination of moderately worn, but not necessarily not worn out parts, combining to allow the uninhibited frequency oscillation known as Death Wobble.

Now, all that said... If you take care of your junk, it's a complete non issue. And if you leave it basically stock, it's pretty much a non-issue unless you are one of those people that never does any maintenance to anything ever.

I have an '06 Wrangler, that has been running lifted on 35's for over 100K now, still on all the original lift parts. Not a single factory suspension component remains - I changed it all out when I lifted it, 100K ago. Aftermarket lift components are generally much more prone to DW than factory stuff. "Generally". Buying good stuff (buy once cry once), makes a huge difference though. But I also take care of my junk.

Never had even a hint of DW. Ever. 100K on 35's. If/when I do, I know how to fix it, so I'm just not worried about it.

Front end issues... Yeah. Current generation JK's, front axle housings are weak sauce. If you put big tires on it and wheel your junk, heck, even just leave the little factory tires on it and wheel it (really wheel it), you'll eventually end up with a bent front housing.

If I was buying a JK, I'd probably either replace the front housing or beef it up with sleeves and gussets right out of the gate. I'd probably opt for the whole new housing for stronger inner C's.

But! I do wheel my stuff. If all you are doing is driving dirt roads or whatever, you really don't need to worry about it.

And now, after having said all that, the Tacoma is the best coyote hunting rig there is for the kind of stuff I do. I haven't worked with any of the 3rd Gen's yet. But have wheeled with and wrenched on the 2nd Gen's a ton. Easy little rigs to work on. Stupidly reliable. Plenty capable enough for most peoples needs. WAY overpriced! I mean, just stupidly over priced. But they hold the value. Used ones are just as overpriced as new ones.

Ain't no better rig for wandering the west to hunt coyotes though. Not for the way I like to roll.

If you were looking at new, I'd suggest taking a long hard look at the brand new 2018 GMC Colorado. Can get a rear locker and a small diesel. Cost as much as a Tacoma, but totally kills the Toyota in MPG and towing and ought to wheel right there with it.

- DAA

Ive had Toyotas, Chebys, and Jeeps.
I honestly loved my Toyotas..everything Dave described above.

I have always had a Chevy pickup or 2. I have 3 right now, nothing real new though. My choice of daily driver and hunting rig for mild dirt road stuff.

I have an old arse Jeep Cherokee 4 door that is lifted with 35's. long arm kit, swaybar disconnect etc., 4.56 gears, Elocker in back, Tru Trac in front. Good rig but 4.0 engines like to overheat if you dont take care of stuff. But..parts for them are dirt cheap. Stick with 93 or newer, I didnt and sort of regret it. Death Wobble seems to be almost always tie rod ends worn out somewhere or the track bar bolt hole wobbled out or just loose. Easy fixes once diagnosed...most times. Scary [beeep] when you experience it though!

If I was looking right now for a well used hunting rig, and didnt mind turning wrenches a litte..I would love to have another older Toyota. I like the early to mid 90's 4 runners and pickups. I have had them with the 3.0 engines and would not do that again. 4 cylinder with stick shift for me. Your not going anywhere fast but they are really reliable.
I have friends with newer ones and they love em.

Man, Id love to have a little diesel in a Toyota!! I always envy the African guides that run the diesel Hilux's. Bad arse.
Mark
EDIT..to answer your question, Id probly opt for the Toyota.

My vote is for a Jeep Comanche.

I've been contemplating this exact thing, and I've narrowed it down to the Comanche...if I can find a decent one.

Hear me out.

There's no denying the Jeep Cherokee was probably the best SUV ever built. Indestructible 4.0l motor, Aisin AW4 transmission, and the NP231 transfer case, coupled with a Dana 30 front axle, and sometimes a Dana 44 rear axle. The Comanche is the Cherokee with a bed. Same driveline, same axles.

Lifted 4" with 35's, 4:88 gears, 5 speed OR auto, and selectable lockers front and rear, you have an unstoppable machine that's easy to work on, and dead-balls reliable. Not to mention, you don't have to throw a carcass in the cab with you (think of when a coyote craps all over itself in its death throes, not pleasant).

Now, DAA hit on Death Wobble. Pay no mind to that, because like he said it's either worn out parts, or there's too much angle in your driveline. Build a machine right, and you'll never have death wobble. You can't get much simpler than a solid axle design that has very limited weak points, and those will ultimately be taken care of with re-gearing. Added security would be upgraded axle shafts and off road intended tie rod and drag link.

I've owned a lot of Jeeps, and I've worked on a lot of Jeeps. I now drive a Chevy Silverado. I dearly miss my solid axle front ends. I could do an SAS in my Chevy, but it's a lot of work and a lot of down time on the truck, which is also my DD. Truck and purpose built SUV manufacturers did us all an injustice when they dumped solid axles. Sure, they ride like garbage, but they're hard to beat concerning dependability. PA pot holes are enough to knock out my alignment. I never worried about that in my Jeeps. Just some food for thought.

Wrangler and Rubicon are more capable imo, especially the Cherokee. One guy here took his 2000 Cherokee for new tires, smittybilt winch, and topper installation. Still runs like a champ. Tacomas are not far behind and the bed space is so convenient for stuff.

I have a new Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 37's and a small lift, no issues at all. I use it mainly for coyote hunting. If you go with the Wrangler, get the Rubicon and 2012 or newer if you can. The new motor and trans is far better than the older models.

My current one is a 2001 grand Cherokee and it just keeps on running, The 4.0 gets up to 26.3 on the freeway and about 14-16 in the dirt. It's jeep #8 and my others went 200,000 or better. Pretty much stock and long ago got over the jacked up phase. Had every type of pickup 4x4 made over the last 40years and most of them worked/ran good for their purpose. You might let where you hunt and the country around you dictate what you run.

Last edited:
Back