Shotgun Vs. Rifle

Watched Les Johnson's YouTube video about the Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote load and his shotgun. Made me want to really try to kill coyotes with the shotgun this year.

I only use a rifle. I hunt for the challenge. Hitting a coyote with a shotgun is too easy. It is like cheating. It is like fishing with dynamite.

P.S. I also don't shoot bobcats when they come to the call anymore. Why? Because they are so dumb. They just stand there looking at you. If you miss, they don't move. Killing them seems pointless. No skill is necessary.

I like hard things. Easy things bore me.

Originally Posted By: BJJ223 Hitting a coyote with a shotgun is too easy. It is like cheating.

hitting a coyote with a shotgun is easy. killing it and recovering it is the hard part.

Overall, rifles win. But a scoped rifle is nearly worthless on some stands I hunt. Shotguns have their place for coyotes, but less so now that we have to use (super expensive) lead free shells.

This one took a face full of 3" steel BB at over 30 yards. He lay still but I saw a tail or leg twitch in the weeds so I put another in him. Always assume downed coyotes need a 2nd shot, but sometimes they don't.
38732973671_6f1d0353b0_c.jpg

Putting a 2nd $5 lead free shell in a stinkin' coyote kinda sucks.

Shotguns rock for foxes here. Rifle for cats, ours are super stealthy and do not stick around. Your cats must be smoking their catnip.

I mostly use a shotgun.While a rifle with a low power scope will work well on singles.When more than one comes in calling in thick stuff a shotgun is IMO superior.You will lose one now and then.But the same can be said of rifles.

Shotgun has opened up a lot of coyote rich area for me. Stuff I've been driving by for years, because it's virtually uncallable with a rifle. Have killed over half my coyotes so far this year in that stuff, with a shotgun.

But, much more important than that, it's just too much FUN! Just a new take on an old game that brings a different kind of excitement. Kind of addicting, actually.

Bob's my hero. He mentored me in this whole shotgun endeavor, the hand loading especially. I don't see myself ever making a habit of packing both on stand. Have tried it once or twice and I just don't care for packing so much stuff. Takes some of the fun out of it for me and that's the only reason I'm out there in the first place.

The ideal for me is hunting with a partner that only packs a rifle. And then I decide what I'm going to carry on each stand based on terrain and my mood.

Most recent shotgun fun.

20171125_Coyote%20Hunt-1.jpg

More from this season, but Steve Garrett killed some of these with his machine gun
smile.gif

20170929_Coyote%20Hunt-102.jpg

Most of these were with the shotgun.

untitled-48W.jpg

Most of these too.

20171007_Coyote%20Hunt-102.jpg

- DAA

Last edited:
By myself I carry a rifle, but if it's team effort 2 or 3 shooters I always volunteer for shotgun duty. I've seen to many sneak in and then get away because riflemen can't get on them.

We use rifles in my area. We hunt a lot of open pasture land where a coyote wont get close enough forma shotgun.
But, I have been wanting to take a coyote with a shotgun and recently got permission on some land where a shotgun could be possible.
Ive already called in 1 that came in to my calls and I shot her at 16yds with a rifle. Ill be carrying my shotgun next time, 870 Express, Carlson Coyote choke, and Hevi T shot or Winchester Varmint X BB.

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHWe use rifles in my area. We hunt a lot of open pasture land where a coyote wont get close enough forma shotgun.
But, I have been wanting to take a coyote with a shotgun and recently got permission on some land where a shotgun could be possible.
Ive already called in 1 that came in to my calls and I shot her at 16yds with a rifle. Ill be carrying my shotgun next time, 870 Express, Carlson Coyote choke, and Hevi T shot or Winchester Varmint X BB.
I had a buddy you used to say the same thing about hunting "open pasture land" until I called 5 in our lap and all he had was a rifle. Needless to say he now carries a shotgun to every set. I personally don't believe there is or isn't a "shotgun set". Every set I make I have both with the shotgun sitting in my lap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BailOriginally Posted By: Lefty SRHWe use rifles in my area. We hunt a lot of open pasture land where a coyote wont get close enough forma shotgun.
I had a buddy you used to say the same thing about hunting "open pasture land" until I called 5 in our lap and all he had was a rifle. Needless to say he now carries a shotgun to every set. I personally don't believe there is or isn't a "shotgun set". Every set I make I have both with the shotgun sitting in my lap.

Truth be known, I looked at my shotgun and almost took it also but I wasnt really in the mood to hunt but went anyway because my partner wanted to go. That was when I called in the 16yd lap coyote. Oh well, Ill get one with a shotgun someday.

Well, for me if I take the shotgun out I'll have one hang up at 100 yards and make me sorry I didn't have the rifle. So the next stand I take the rifle and get 4 hard chargers busting in on me. Never fails....

I guess I'm the only one that happens to.

Originally Posted By: beaverquackWell, for me if I take the shotgun out I'll have one hang up at 100 yards and make me sorry I didn't have the rifle. So the next stand I take the rifle and get 4 hard chargers busting in on me. Never fails....

I guess I'm the only one that happens to. I have the same brand of luck. When I go hunting with a firearm I rarely see a coyote. But when I go hiking for fun without any guns I see them every time. Never fails...

Originally Posted By: beaverquackWell, for me if I take the shotgun out I'll have one hang up at 100 yards and make me sorry I didn't have the rifle. So the next stand I take the rifle and get 4 hard chargers busting in on me. Never fails....

That's why I don't tote the shotgun much when I'm alone and if I do, it's stands I can't see more than 50 - 60 yards anyway. I can live with not being able to wield a rifle well enough to handle a hot triple. But it bugs the crap out of me to have a coyote just standing there at a hundy and me holding nothing but a shotgun.

But when I have a partner with a rifle to cover me, I carry the shotgun a lot even on stands that don't look like shotgun stands. Have found I get a lot of action cleaning up the kamikazes even in really wide open country. And that, is a total hoot! Seeing one coming for a quarter mile to have it end up right in your lap. Gets the blood pumping. More so for me than any rifle coyotes have for many years.

- DAA

Nope, that's why I have to carry both, except now if I can just figure out which one to have in my hands when it matters!

I cant carry both so its one or the othe depending on who I am with. This is daytime shooting.

Normally, I am on the rifle but several times I have opted for the scatter gun if I think we might get a charger depending on cover. Swing and shoot, or just full mount and shoot . Its skeet at ground level.... LOL. Its fun.

Last edited:
quick funny story about rifle or shotgun. Took a new guy, to the coyote calling game, out two years ago. He asked which gun he should bring, rifle or shotgun, so I told him he could bring a shotgun and we could switch off, me with his shotgun and he with my rifle, if we didn't get any coyotes into his shotgun range. So he opted to carry his shotgun for a full day of calling and into the next day, only to watch me kill several with my rifle and he never got a shot with the shotgun. So finally he decided he wanted to get some shooting in so we swapped, me with his shotgun and he with my rifle. Sure enough, very next stand one came blasting in and I shotgunned it. He went back to the shotgun for the rest of the day and never popped a cap.
He said when we get together again, he's bringing a rifle.

I call coyotes with a friend of mine that goes by JP7mag. On almost every stand JP7mag uses a rifle and I use a shotgun.

Some days JP7mag gets more coyotes than I do and some days I get more coyotes with a shotgun.

We don't ever try to stop coyotes that are coming in. If they stop at about 250 yards or less JP7mag uses the rifle. If they run right up to the FoxPro I use the shotgun to stop them.

Around here we have coyotes run right up to our FoxPro e-callers even in wide open country with very little cover.

Back