Which dies would you be interested in ordering next?

I got in touch with Hornady today and I got confirmation that they feel confident we will be able to size 6.8spc down to 22x6.8 in one pass.

They told me the problem arises with steep shoulders and/or shoulder angle changes to the parent case and that those 2 factors require more steps to neck down.

So to clarify, I would start with a 2 die set(a FL sizer and a seat die) and IF there are issues we can have an intermediate die made for folks that need one.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorI got in touch with Hornady today and I got confirmation that they feel confident we will be able to size 6.8spc down to 22x6.8 in one pass.

They told me the problem arises with steep shoulders and/or shoulder angle changes to the parent case and that those 2 factors require more steps to neck down.

So to clarify, I would start with a 2 die set(a FL sizer and a seat die) and IF there are issues we can have an intermediate die made for folks that need one.

Good information, but as R. Johnson has pointed out on numerous occasions, the DTI die doesn't change the shoulder-angle. That angle gets changed the first time you fire it. On the WOA, the shoulder is pushed back by the FL die, not so with the DTI.

To be fair, all of the brass I have had difficulties with has been new, annealed brass. The problem doesn't arise when you bottom out the die, by the time you have probably .100" of the neck constricted down to .224, the neck "stove pipes" down into the shoulder.

I'm not trying to be a "nay sayer" or throw a wet-blanket, only sharing my experience. Here is a photo of a piece of brass that I have tried to neck-down directly from 6.8 to .224 with a Hornady die.
JuqpyXC.jpg

Both Whidden and Hornady have made dies for the 5.56X42 in the past two years. It is basically the same case cut back a MM.

They are both two die sets. By report they are doing OK.

Greg

QUkE2Pl.jpg

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorI got in touch with Hornady today and I got confirmation that they feel confident we will be able to size 6.8spc down to 22x6.8 in one pass.

Good to hear. Sounds like a plan to me.

I was thinking about this issue of going from a straight 6.8 down to 223 in one step. I've done 308 to 260 and 223 to 17-223 using standard dies in the past and figured while this was a bit more it might not be too big a squeeze.

I thought the only way to find out was a proof in concept approach. I don't have a standard type 22X6.8 die but I do have a pile of expander mandrels. I figured I could just make up some 6.8 necked 223's and see if it could go back down. I grabbed some 223 brass out of the box and started to work.

I did the first pass using a 25X223 die following it up with a 263 and and a 276 neck turning mandrel. I used HOS for lube in this set up because I wanted to not mess with inside lubing the necks individually.

It took a few minutes of parts swapping in my mandrel holder but I came out with what looked like decent brass.

Pi2WCU3.jpg

Now that I had some made up I needed to get them back to original. For this task I figured I'd better use the good stuff so cracked open the Imperial Sizing Die wax and applied it judiciously. I screwed in a Hornady 223 die with the guts into the press and took my time easing them in. Two minutes later I had what I feel are passable re-sized cases.

6aJCCQz.jpg

I did notice that there was a very slight line on the shoulders and ascertained that this was where the 6.8 size up started on the shoulder. No real issue on that and the cases chambered without any issues.

0AnzzGa.jpg

So after only about 20 minutes my proof in concept was settled. If we go forward with a 22X6.8 I'm pretty confident we we have a winner.

It looks like Nick's work on the6X6.8w ill be a great deal for all of us shortly. I have the 6X6.8 die from CH4D so was not concerned but when they get those puppies out of heat treating I will be very happy.

Greg

Last edited:
“To be fair, all of the brass I have had difficulties with has been new, annealed brass. The problem doesn't arise when you bottom out the die, by the time you have probably .100" of the neck constricted down to .224, the neck "stove pipes" down into the shoulder.”

Perfect. It looks like the annealed brass is what I and others have run into for a problem. That neck and shoulder is nice and pliable when properly annealed.

Looks good Greg. Nothing like a little reloading science experiment to pass the time. That imperial wax is some slick stuff, I use it for all my forming tasks.

As you all probably know, we did not reach the quota to have a run of the 22 dies made but one shooter didn't let that stop him from getting his set. I sent off the order to Hornady and received the dies just the other day.

With the info Hornady gave me and the mini science experiment Greg and I came up with we were pretty darn confident we could size 6.8 brass down to 22 cal in one pass.

Sure enough these dies work great!

left 3 are sized with rcbs #2, middle are gregs fired cases that the dies were made from, Right are sized with imperial wax.

40069415235_e37288b83f_z.jpg

This case was annealed prior to sizing and came out perfect as did the others.

40962953741_56e00d86c7_z.jpg

Back