suggestions for mid to upper mid thermal scope

what Huff said.... Only problem I've seen with the youtube vids though is not a lot of them are showing much for long range detection. Once my Thor shows up, I'll take it out and get some vid of just some long range scanning and put it up so people can see how it works long range... I've got plenty of places where I hunt that I can see over a mile of open fields. shouldn't be much of a problem getting some decent video.

Last edited:
Seeing a long ways with your scope isn't as much of a necessity as seeing a long ways with a monocular. I hunt ND with thermal as well, and I don't recommend using your scope as a scanner. Too much open country. You could put the gun on a tripod and use a streaming app for certain brands to go to a cell phone but that isn't ideal. I would recommend your thermal monocular is where you want to be able to detect a long distance as this is what you will be scanning with.

Your question was mid-range price and Pulsar is hard to beat for the money. I would recommend a Pulsar Helion either XP28 or 38 for a scanner and for a scope maybe a Trail XQ38 or XQ50. The Trail XP is awesome as well. If you are using it for scanning as well, then maybe go with it because it has a wider field of view. I prefer a wider field of view on my monocular and a bit higher magnification on the scope, personally.

If I were in the mid to upper range, I’d definitely get a scanner and a scope and they’d be from Pulsar-the only company not recently merged, that has a proven record for customer service.

I have a LD19 scanner an it’s about driving my eye crazy after a short time using it. It works ok but the image quality isn’t the best. If it’s a game changer for coyotes I will jump in with better equipment but it’s a bit early to tell. Just started this year. Using the scanner an gen 3 night vision scope now.

Had a Zeus and it was very good but that was a while ago and never hunted with it as wife said maybe she was interested and thought the set up for a newbie were a little much for her. Bought the Trail XP 50 and am pretty happy with it. Recording with it is pretty cool and Pulsars service (needed it on my first HD19a, which they replaced with an XD 19a. Need I say more?) has been first rate.

Originally Posted By: cmateraIf I were in the mid to upper range, I’d definitely get a scanner and a scope and they’d be from Pulsar-the only company not recently merged, that has a proven record for customer service.

That's an interesting statement. Have you ever looked through or hunted with an IR mark 3?

I'm fixing to pull the trigger on my 6th NV device. Started with a flir scout 32 for scanning and a Night Optics D760 scope. Sold those. At this time I have a Trijicon MK2 19mm and a Trijicon MK2 35mm and a Pulsar Trail xp50. I love everything about the Pulsar and most people do BUT if you look on the Pulsar Facebook page there are a few of us having trouble keeping the Pulsar zeroed. Pulsar says it is always the jiggy mount it comes with but I am not so sure. I have the new mount ordered and we shall see. In the meantime I use the Pulsar for scanning and it does a fabulous job as a monocular scanning device. The Trijicons seem bullet proof. For the price they should be.
I'm in the same boat as OP. My question is should I look at Armasite or others.

Last edited:
Back