6mm Rem accuracy and future

My 6mm is my go to gun. It's a little under scoped with just a 6x leupold but she is a tack driver. Remington with a heavy barrel and a 2.5# trigger. Best thing that came out of my second divorce.

Last edited:

I like my 6mm Rem Model 700 BDL and with both Sierra 85gr BTHP & 100gr Hornady BTSP group under 2.25 inches average at 300 yards.
I have bagged Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Prairie Dogs, Coyotes, Cats, Antelope,
Yes it is a great round and a step above the .243 Win. But not a big step.

you guys have any oal issues loading your 6mmrems to fit in the magbox with high bc bullets? I did....and that is why I liked the 243 over the 6mm. I could never see any benefit of the 6mm

so why is it better?

It was impossible fitting 105 Berger VLD's seated to touch the lands In my mag well, but my 9 twist wouldn't shoot them well anyway. The bullets that shoot well in my barrel fit in the mag well without issue. For me the allure of the 6mm is that it was the first high power rifle that I owned, I shot it a lot and have years of awesome memories with it. Will I ever be without my 6mm? No! But do I believe it has anything over a .243? No again. They are both a riot to shoot. Pick your poison and take it out hunting. It's a 6 of one half a dozen of another thing.

Most loading manuals give the 6mm Remington around a hundred fps advantage over the .243 Winchester with the same bullet. Less drop, less drift. With a light 55 grain bullet, it will run neck and neck with a 220 Swift, 4077 fps. Listed in the Nosler manual as their accuracy load.

I would have thought a 243win with 55gr bullets would outrun a .220 swift? Given more powder and less bearing surface of the two 55gr bullets.

My old boss used a custom 6mm rem for timberwolves I really liked shooting it. Remington 100gr SP power lokt factory loads worked well.

Per 5th edition nosler book
220 swift w760 max 42.0 3830fps.
243win w760 max 50.0 3901fps.
6mm rem w760 max 53.0 4077fps.
All great cartidges in my book but always been a fan of the 6mm rem. and 243 win.

I have owned two 6mm Rem a 700 Remington BDL and a model seven both shot very well 1/2 inch or less let both go and still regret. Swiper

I had a Remington 700BDL Varmint many years ago, loved that rifle, accurate out of the box with standard factory ammo and a low end scope, my house was broken into though and it was a casualty, after that I bought a Ruger 77 in 6MM and have had it ever since, I have always had a soft spot for oddball calibers, I don't think the 6 will ever be able to keep up with the 243 in popularity.

6 Remington is best on a long action, 257 Roberts, and so is the 7x57 mauser.

6 Remington is a power wagon, super accurate. R#19 with 80g is all over 3800 fps with a 26" barrel.

I had bought my son a Youth Model 7 6mm back in '96-'97. He's long since moved away from home and left the little 6mm. Earlier this year I decided to put it to use.
After restocking it with a Bell and Carlson Alaska stock, Burris base and rings and a Timney trigger it shoots 85 grain Sierra 85 HPBT at a little over 3000 FPS into groups less than an inch.
Just finished dialing it in today and will carry it in the truck while checking the cows and pasture fences.

At the present time I own two 6mm's, a Rem 788 that I bought new in 1976 brand new for $79. It now wears a custom walnut stock and it is on its fourth barrel, I hope this one will last me the rest of my shooting days. I also have a Ruger 77 MKII I bought new in 2004, I had a 6mm built in 2009 on a Rem 700 action that was a 7-08 from 1989. I had a brand new CDL stock that I used for it and it had a Douglas barrel. The rifle was very accurate but for whatever reason I don't really like the 700's, I have a CDL in 243 and I don't very often use it. I finally sold the 700 6mm a couple of years ago. Truth be told the 788 6mm has always been my most accurate rifle, it might be because it has always been my favorite and I have done a lot of work with it.

Way back in 68-69 Ibought a Ruger 77 (tang safety) 6mm. It was a great gun and I wish I still had it and the Ruger still made that gun and in 6mm. It was a ground hog killing machine here in IL and a deer rifle in MO and NY. Sorry I traded it off. My bad.

I will own a Number 1 in 6mm when I find the one I want.... Great caliber.

I still remember the day my dad bought his M77 in 6mm. I was only about 8 years old (late 70’s). We have killed truck loads of deer and ground hogs with that rifle. Sadly, unless you hand load it will be very hard to find ammo in the near future. Already tough to find. It is a great caliber but others work just as well. I have a beautiful Browning B78 in 6mm. Lives in the safe now days.

I had a Ruger #1 with a bull barrel chambered in 6mm REM and it was one of the best, and favorite, guns I've owned. My oldest son grew fond of it, and I gave it to him a few years ago.

It's a very accurate cartridge, and I bought the gun because I really wanted to try the cartridge out. I shot only factory ammo out of it, but it was just a sweet shooting gun. I had a couple of .243 WIN guns, and the 6mm shot a little flatter and had more punch downrange.

My fondest memory of that gun was shooting a jackrabbit that was running away from me, at around 125 yards with it. Set the crosshairs on the tips of his ears when his head was down and pulled the trigger, and when he came back up on the next stride, it took his ears and the top of his skull off. I was so dumbfounded that it actually worked, all I could do was laugh until my sides hurt.

Last edited:
Back