Big female and DVR woes

cml

Trying to capture your hunts on film can be a real let down at times. Had a chance to get a few stands in last night and ended up taking this big female on my second stand, trying to slip in the back door on me.
First stand was uneventful...I should have known it would be a bust when I saw all the deer feeding out in the field I overlook. I've never had any luck on fields that have deer calmly grazing about, but I decided to give it a try...and once again no luck. After about 40min of harassing the deer I decided to head off to stand number two.
Stand two has me backed up into a crp strip that divides two fields and there is a section over my right shoulder that I can see through to the other field. This stand started the way my first stand started...minus the deer. Absolutely nothing was stirring....no howls or barks in the distance...nothin. After another 40min of calling I figured it was a bust but decided to play one more string of baby cottentail..and what do ya know...I finally have a taker! Over my right shoulder in the field on the other side of the crp strip I see eyes bouncing my direction. I swing myself around and get into position...flip the switch on my dvr to record and settle in behind my scope. She is about 80yards out and headed right to my down wind. She must have caught it because all of a sudden she stops and decides to turn tail. I let out a few barks which gets her to stop and turn broadside for one last look. It was her last look alright
smile.gif
First shot from the .22mag dropped her.....legs stiff and straight up in the air, Im thinking that was easier than normal....then no sooner it crossed my mind she stands back up! Pull trigger again and...click...dud rimfire round! Quickly ejected dud and racked another into chamber. Gave her two more lead coyote treats and she was down for the count.
After all the action I was thinking I had some great footage on the dvr and was excited to replay the video once I got back home. That excitement turned to disgust when I plugged the sd card in to find nothing. I could have swore I saw the red light flashing signaling it was recording but there is absolutely no file. It was 16 degrees here last night so I am wondering if the cold may have affected the dvr somehow? Funny how a little thing like that can bum you out. Here I had a successful hunt and should be happy...but not catching on film brings the happiness down a few notches for me. Oh well...theres always next time I suppose. How I ever hunted before without all this fan dangled technology I will never know..
lol.gif

image.jpg

Gene,

Ray-Vin

Looks like they are back in stock now. They had been out of stock for awhile. Im really pleased with mine. They are side charging uppers which is nice.

Chris

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmlGene,

Ray-Vin

Looks like they are back in stock now. They had been out of stock for awhile. Im really pleased with mine. They are side charging uppers which is nice.

Chris

Wow, that is slicker than snot.

It's a really nice upper and the barrel I happened to get is a real shooter! In my search for an accurate .22mag I went from a CZ 455 to a Ruger American rifle then to this upper. "Groups" at 100 yards with the two bolt actions were more like patterns. This Ray-Vin upper stacks em at 100 for one ragged hole, plus I can use one lower with a Geissele trigger and just swap between my public land .22mag upper and my private land 6.5 Grendel. Honestly I've been so happy with the Ray-Vin's performance that I havent even swapped the uppers out this year, its been all .22mag for me on public and private land.

Last edited:

Pretty neat to see an AR in .22 mag.

Do I understand correctly that the kit comes with everything to fit any AR-15 for a simple conversion to 22 mag?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Pretty neat to see an AR in .22 mag.

Do I understand correctly that the kit comes with everything to fit any AR-15 for a simple conversion to 22 mag?

Yes. Only thing its missing is a flash hider. It ships with a thread protecter installed. Installation is just swapping your upper, buffer and buffer spring with this upper and buffer combo.

Originally Posted By: UndrcoverrednekI know it's a different price point, but the franklin armory f17 looks like it would be a sweet setup if limited to rimfire.

I would be all over that upper but they really need to drop their price. Just the upper alone is over a grand. Hate to break it to Franklin Armory...but its not 2012 anymore.

Back