New 204...32 grain vmax's. Any pet loads?

Bluedog

Picked up a Savage 12fv in 204 that shoots lights out with the 32 grain hornady factory vmax loads. I will be trying to get as close as I can to the factory load and am wondering if anyone has a pet load they use for this or at least something close? Thanks

Bluedog

I like RL10x and CCI BR4 primers. In my 22" barrel I get 32 gr. Vmaxs to 4090 fps. Although Hornady boasts 4225 fps on their factory stuff, I've never got that. Very close to my handloads.

i run varget in my 24" Lr204, under 32gr vmax. i dont get factory velocitys, and factory ammo is just over 4k anyway, but they're happy.

i wanna try some cfe223 and see if i can up the FPS a bit though!

Originally Posted By: nr123Benchmark works good in both my .204's. Doubt if you'll reach factory fps though.

My .204 just loves Benchmark too. Shot some mighty fine groups with it and tossed a lot of ground squirrels and prairie dogs using it too.

I’m going to be the odd man out here. Are you using this for coyotes? I had a lot of trouble with 32s, just FYI.

That being said, Benchmark for sure.

Originally Posted By: CZ527I’m going to be the odd man out here. Are you using this for coyotes? I had a lot of trouble with 32s, just FYI.

That being said, Benchmark for sure.

I think you make a valid point because those 32gr Vmax seem to be very explosive and I think shot placement, when using them on coyotes, will have a lot to do with how effective they are or they very well could splash.

Using those 32's on sage rats, ground squirrels, PD's, or even groundhogs/rockchucks should provide you with lots of fun carnage and red mist.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: B23
Using those 32's on sage rats, ground squirrels, PD's, or even groundhogs/rockchucks should provide you with lots of fun carnage and red mist.
thumbup1.gif

Oh my goodness yes, Bryan. Hitting a hapless prairie dog (especially less than 100 yards) with a 32 grain Vmax at 4000+ fps is colorful indeed. Like having a motor drive on your kaleidoscope.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: B23
thumbup1.gif

Oh my goodness yes, Bryan. Hitting a hapless prairie dog (especially less than 100 yards) with a 32 grain Vmax at 4000+ fps is colorful indeed. Like having a motor drive on your kaleidoscope.

ive all but cut groundhogs into pieces with them , and pigeons quite literally explode. puff of feathers is all thats left. biggest peice ive found so far was a leg, from just above the "knee" down. and that was 30-40 feet away lololol

the carnage with that bullet anywhere above 3800 fps is spectacular. but i've never shot one at anything much bigger than a groundhog/coon.

I personally like H4895 and RL10x but I shoot 39gr Blitzkings. I would rather shoot a 39gr BK at 3850-3900fps than a 32gr at 4000. But, if yours is shooting the 32gr vmax that good it doesn't hurt to try. Just don't believe the hornady rating of 4225fps. They are fast but I haven't seen many, if any 204's hit 4225fps with the 32's.

I am considering using them for coyotes. I guess my dilema is this. Everything I have read on the 204 has said that a barrel either loves the 32's or the 39/40's...one or the other but typically not both. I dont know if there is truth to that or not...but I do know my rifle really likes the factory 32 grain vmaxs.

If the 39/40 is more capable of anchoring a coyote then I am all ears for suggestions on loads and bullets in that range as well. I am not hung up on 4225 fps...just a good starting point to go from. I am just getting started with the 204 and I really enjoy how mine shoots. I have been reloading for a minute so any suggestions are surely welcome.

I don't buy into the idea that if it shoots 32's it won't shoot 39's or 40's. I do believe that some 204's don't like the 40gr vmax as it's a bit longer bullet and the twist rate is at the edge of stabilizing the 40. Never heard that about the 39gr sierra. If your going after coyotes I would prob look at the 35gr and 40gr Berger and 39gr Sierra. Most 204's will shoot these bullets well. I have never tried the 35gr Berger but have shot the 40gr Berger and it shoots great. However, with the BC of the sierra and the accuracy I get with it, it's the bullet i shoot. But I do shoot the 40gr Bergers occasionally.

I have 3 204s mostly load TAC with 32s, 39sierras 35 Berbers for coyotes. Use ramshot's loads. TAC flows lik water is accurate for me. Burns clean

My 204 loves the 39 gr Sierra, edge hit one on the high side last night at 160 yards. 20 minutes after sunset with the dot reticle, bang/flop. I did not like the exit between the shoulder blades. I will shoot a couple more and than switch to the Berger 35 for a couple. But will after the experiment will go back to the 17 rem.

I can't find anything that shoots better with 32's than IMR 8208. It give me the best combination of accuracy and speed at 28 grs.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI can't find anything that shoots better with 32's than IMR 8208. It give me the best combination of accuracy and speed at 28 grs.

This for sure. IMR8208 also works great with 34's, 35's, 37's, and 45gr. bullets.

Back