Do you need AR riser blocks to mount your Thermal scopes?

Will be getting a Thermal scope soon and would like to know if those of you that have them mounted on AR's needed to use riser blocks or not to elevate the scope for clearance? If so, approximately how tall of riser block did you need and what brand seems to be the best for this application? I will be getting the Trail XQ38. Thanks

Gene

I added a 1” picatinny riser on my AR platform with my thermal. I had to smash my fat face into the stock with out it.

They are $20 ish on Amazon

Thanks Huffranger. I use 1/2 to 3/4" blocks on my AR with a regular rifle scope...didn't know if more or less elevation was needed with a thermal scope. I may order a 1" riser so I will have it if needed when my scope arrives.

Gene

Originally Posted By: HuffrangerI added a 1” picatinny riser on my AR platform with my thermal. I had to smash my fat face into the stock with out it.

X2!

varminter, before you went to thermal did you use a riser on your AR with a regular scope? I generally have had to raise my scopes on AR's by 1/2"...it appears that the physical/bulky characteristics of the Thermal scopes might raise the thermal scopes anyway.

I've had to use a riser with my Photon and my Zeus. With the Zeus I needed it to sit further back so I'm using the Weaver tactical picatinny riser.

image.jpg

Thanks cml...I have been looking at several and have seen that one...I was also thinking that some units may need to sit farther back and that a long rail like that would serve that purpose as well. Thanks

Gene

Most of the thermals come with their own mounts and don't generally need more elevation for an AR, but I suppose some people might feel a need to have them higher.

Originally Posted By: paulsOriginally Posted By: varminter .223I find there is no need for a riser with the Trail on an AR.

Same here.
thumbup1.gif

I have the Trail XQ38 and don't use/need a riser but I am using a DLOC mount so that could make a difference too.

For me it’s more natural/comfortable. The riser elevated my scope and gave me more room to move it back and still reach the charging handle. With just the mount I had to lower my head and move forward into the eye piece.
So you’ll just have to get things mounted up and see what works for you.

Originally Posted By: IACC43For me it’s more natural/comfortable. The riser elevated my scope and gave me more room to move it back and still reach the charging handle. With just the mount I had to lower my head and move forward into the eye piece.
So you’ll just have to get things mounted up and see what works for you.

What height riser did you go with? 1/2", 3/4" or 1"?

Back