Need light suggestions...

Originally Posted By: stickbow_hunterI would also like to know why this "new light" is better and will out perform the other lights? Please educate me.

Some may be better, but imo not using the 'better ones' doesn’t mean that it will at all handicap your success.

There is a reason we all are not driving Cadillacs. All of us can’t afford them!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: DropadoglvHonestly, I shouldn’t even reply on this topic, lol. I’ve seen and read so many posts on this and it usually ends up in somewhat of an argument. Obviously I’m with Predator Tactics.
So with that being said, my set up when I use lights, my scan light is a “4 color led Nightmare” comes in red, blue, green and white, which I use to scan and locate downed animals. My Kill light is a “Reaper” and when I’m not using either Night Vision or Thermal, I only use RED. But!!! As you stated! If cost is not an issue! The Coyote Light CL2000 is hard to beat as a “kill light” along with the CL1! But, our “NEW PRODUCT” which will be released here in the next few weeks, IMO will out perform both! One is called the “XXL Coyote Reaper” for a kill light and also the new Hand Held Scan light which also comes with an ergonomic handle and 3 color LED. These are not yet on our website!!!! But I do have them and have compared and tested them vs NightSnipe, Coyote light, Hog light, FoxPro FireEye, every model of Cyclops, every model of Wicked and most of the lower end of hunting lights. (All which I own).
All these companies make great lights!
Yet....simply IMO! Predator Tactics new product line will and are out performing these other top rated lights, and at a lower cost of some.
Best of luck! www.PredatorTactics.us
Regards, Drop

Drop lets keep it civilized. Without going into specifics what's the improvement?

New LED?

Is it driven harder?

What makes it better?

What type of testing?

How do you compare lights?

Lets forget our history.

I'd like to try one of these lights. Care to send me one to check out, I'll give it honest feedback? I've got a list going with the Foxpro, Nighteyes, Wicked, Coyote light, Sniperhawg I'd really like to add one of the predator tactics to the list. I did this post a few years ago and trying to add new lights to it. I think all would benefit from it.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...726#Post2293726

In the end I'll donate to this and add your name to the list of sponsors.

http://barkmoon.proboards.com/thread/8593/hunt-details
I’ve been down this road before....we can keep it civilized! Best thing is to test it yourself, and that should be all the information you need. I appreciate the offer, but I’ll pass. I have too many individuals asking for “Free” products. As you can clearly see, I represent many companies. You don’t get these positions easily!
They have put there trust in me that I will give honest solid advise through my own comparisons. Which I stated on my first comment (Reply) good luck. And may your hunts always be successful!
Regards, Drop

Originally Posted By: stickbow_hunterI would also like to know why this "new light" is better and will out perform the other lights? Please educate me.

Forget the free-bees. I'll send it back after testing it. I understand how these lights work. Stickbow would like to a little education. Humor him not me. I'm not gonna buy your light he might.

Last edited:
Anyone who is selling a product is going to claim their product to be better. They are going to have all of these reasons why, and they’ll fight to the death anyone who disagrees.

It looks as if the Coyote Light is built pretty good. If only they had thought about the working man when they threw a price tag on it.

Look, there are lights out there for 10% of the price, that will perform awesome and drop you many critters at night. Don’t be fooled by one of these morons that have an agenda. If they want to sell their product they should consider lowering their price. Snake oil salesmen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bad DawgAnyone who is selling a product is going to claim their product to be better. They are going to have all of these reasons why, and they’ll fight to the death anyone who disagrees.

It looks as if the Coyote Light is built pretty good. If only they had thought about the working man when they threw a price tag on it.

Look, there are lights out there for 20-30% of the price, that will perform awesome and drop you many critters at night. Don’t be fooled by one of these morons that have an agenda. If they want to sell their product they should consider lowering their price. Snake oil salesmen.

That's why I ask what's new, what's changed, what makes your light better? I normally don't get an answer and actually predicted that when the OP pm'd me in another post. A couple hours later a Field Staff Super Hero lived up to my expectations and declined to answer my questions.

I've heard the claims of the Coyote Light. I got my hands on one and was no where near the claims. Actually fell in the ball park with the other zoom lights I've got my hands on. Leads me to believe I got a lemon or wasn't fully charged. I'd ike to see another one to confirm.

The light that suprised me was the Foxpro, it was really good, better than the Coyote Light I had but not better than the Coyote light claims that I've heard. Can't understand why Foxpro hasn't come out with a gun mounted light.

With the zoom lights the bigger the lens the farther the throw when the LED is fully focused. The snake oil salesman fail to tell you that when fully focused the beam does not fill the FOV of your scope. FOV gets discussed on every optic on this site EXCEPT zoom lights. I find this annoying and back it off to fill the FOV, going this decreases the throw.

The zoom lights I've tested are slightly brighter than the Night Eyes GL-300R, when fully focused. Once you back the zoom off to fill the FOV of your scope the GL-300R (reflector based light that fills FOV) is the winner.

I believe sometimes people get a bad product. I’ve had a few lemons in a various product lines over the years.

I don’t believe in bashing or downplaying a product because you can’t or won’t buy one.

I also don’t believe in saying this light is an X-yard identifier.... because you can see a lot better in some scopes than others.

I am quite fond of the Fireye light from FoxPro. If it could be mounted on a scope, I’d switch.

Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: Bad DawgAnyone who is selling a product is going to claim their product to be better. They are going to have all of these reasons why, and they’ll fight to the death anyone who disagrees.

Look, there are lights out there for 20-30% of the price, that will perform awesome and drop you many critters at night. Don’t be fooled by one of these morons that have an agenda. If they want to sell their product they should consider lowering their price. Snake oil salesmen.

That's why I ask what's new, what's changed, what makes your light better? I normally don't get an answer and actually predicted that when the OP pm'd me in another post. A couple hours later a Field Staff Super Hero lived up to my expectations and declined to answer my questions.

I've heard the claims of the Coyote Light. I got my hands on one and was no where near the claims. Actually fell in the ball park with the other zoom lights I've got my hands on. Leads me to believe I got a lemon or wasn't fully charged. I'd ike to see another one to confirm.

The light that suprised me was the Foxpro, it was really good, better than the Coyote Light I had but not better than the Coyote light claims that I've heard. Can't understand why Foxpro hasn't come out with a gun mounted light.

With the zoom lights the bigger the lens the farther the throw when the LED is fully focused. The snake oil salesman fail to tell you that when fully focused the beam does not fill the FOV of your scope. FOV gets discussed on every optic on this site EXCEPT zoom lights. I find this annoying and back it off to fill the FOV, going this decreases the throw.

The zoom lights I've tested are slightly brighter than the Night Eyes GL-300R, when fully focused. Once you back the zoom off to fill the FOV of your scope the GL-300R (reflector based light that fills FOV) is the winner.

This more than likely why you don’t get any replies. Field Staff guys are just doing what they signed up for: just to give there own opinions! I can’t speak for others, but the staffs I run, they are instructed not to argue, bash or create any problems! And I’m not a Field Staffer.
Regards.....

I get plenty of replies, just not from you. Answering questions isn't arguing, bashing, and creating problems.

You boasted of a new product, many would like to know why it's better, me included.

I agree with this whole heartedly.
Originally Posted By: Bad DawgAnyone who is selling a product is going to claim their product to be better. They are going to have all of these reasons why, and they’ll fight to the death anyone who disagrees.

This correct, you will only see what YOUR eyes and YOUR optics allow you to see. My 23 year old son sees a lot better behind the thermal and the scope than I do with the same equipment.
Originally Posted By: CZ527
I also don’t believe in saying this light is an X-yard identifier.... because you can see a lot better in some scopes than others.

Pmack,

I’m not on anyone’s side here. I do have a question though.

Why is FOV at full focus relevant? With something as strong as the CL, I shy away from using that kind of intensity. If I do use it, it’s just long enough to get a shot off.

I scan with my light barely cracked on and about half focused. For the most part, I do my shooting half focused and half power.

Is this just a comparison of top end lights, or do you consider it the downfall of the CL?

I'm not on anyone's side either. I just raise questions when I don't understand or don't agree what the OP or a reply is saying. The problem lies when they can't answer the question. If I or anyone knows an answer it's fairly easy to call BS. Some guys are just repeat offenders of the BS rule.

Zoomable lights when fully focused project an image of the LED. That image at 100 yards may be a square smaller than the FOV of your scope depending on your magnification setting. By shying away of that intensity you're doing what I've been preaching and filling the FOV of your scopes. If you fully focused the CL I believe it would be smaller than the FOV of the scope you are using, never had the opportunity to do that but witnessed it with my 50mm light. Just as an example, if the FOV of your scope is 50 feet at 100 yards and your light only covers 25 feet, aren't you losing 50% of the FOV of your scope???

Guys chasing or promoting the brightest light are missing the boat, brighter is not always better as you have found out. I tend to believe their identification ranges are when fully focused, some of those claims seem impossible based on my understanding of how hard you can drive an LED and how Cree rates their LEDs.

Spending $450 and using the CL at half power and half focused IMO is crazy when I can buy a light for $25 that does the same thing. If you knew those numbers of the CL at that setting or those numbers were readily available you could choose a light to fit your needs. If you like the variability the CL offers you then it's the light for you. But when guys ask what's the best light out there and everyone responds the CL, I don't agree with it. The best light out there is the one that works for your hunting needs. IMO most guys don't know what they need.

Only down fall of the CL for me is cost.

Based on your response it sounds like you scan and shoot with the CL. When running lights I scanned with a headlamp and used a gun mounted light to shoot. My scan light was no where near as brights my shooting light.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s crazy at all.... for two reasons.

The extra power is there when you need it, and regardless what the FOV of the scope is, a coyote is still about 3 feet long.

If something is better and within my budget, I’m going to get it. I hunt with good optics, most in the 1500-2000 range. If I could afford it, I’d switch everything to Zeiss Victory V8s, BEASTs, and S&Bs..... maybe one day I will.

People should buy the light that best suits their needs. If a $20 light works, use it.

I can see spending some money on your rifle and optics, but, unless you are the son of a Texas oilman, I can’t see dropping $400 on a flashlight. It really is only a flashlight.

You can dress it up, you can put lipstick on it, and you can put a nice fancy name on it. But at the end of the day, it’s just a flashlight.

Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: Bad DawgAnyone who is selling a product is going to claim their product to be better. They are going to have all of these reasons why, and they’ll fight to the death anyone who disagrees.

It’s just a flashlight. That’s why they won’t get back to you. There’s really not much to say.

“Yes sir it’s red led. Yes sir it zooms. Yes sir it turns on/off. Yes sir it has three modes”

Originally Posted By: CZ527
People should buy the light that best suits their needs. If a $20 light works, use it.

My point exactly. I'm not trying to argue opinions or hunting methods. We agree on things but keep going in circles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bad DawgI can see spending some money on your rifle and optics, but, unless you are the son of a Texas oilman, I can’t see dropping $400 on a flashlight. It really is only a flashlight.

You can dress it up, you can put lipstick on it, and you can put a nice fancy name on it. But at the end of the day, it’s just a flashlight.

Actually I work 24 hour call on the railroad... it’s a good job. I bought the $400 flashlights. My partner is the son of the oilman. He bought the $9,000 thermals.
wink.gif

Last edited:
I take a shovel, pick axe and spud bar and dig into the earth. I bought the $40 light. Actually, I bought three of them.

No offense my friend, but I wouldn’t go around bragging you spent $400 on a flashlight. lol

Hey, I have some ammo for sale over here. It’s only $50 a round. Guaranteed to never miss! How many rounds would you like?

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgI take a shovel, pick axe and spud bar and dig into the earth. I bought the $40 light. Actually, I bought three of them.

No offense my friend, but I wouldn’t go around bragging you spent $400 on a flashlight. lol

something jumps out here.

he kills coyotes with his $400 light.

you with the $40 lights, not so much.

there are guys who can use a $40 or $400 light and kill coyotes just fine.

there are guys who can use a $40 or $400 light and have problems killing coyotes.

Back