Static Electricity in quality synthetic clothing. Help!

DiRTY DOG

Static electricity is driving me crazy! How do I get rid of it?

I have a few quality outdoor garments from big name outfitters: The North Face, Columbia, Pategonia, Kuiu, Under Armour, LLBean. Most are nylon shells or nylon type synthetic fabrics. Virtually all say "no fabric softener".

They seem fine when they come out of the dryer, but immediately start building static when I wear them, especial when I wear layers or pant/jacket combos.

How do you get rid of static?

On the combine they drag a tow chain, maybe a dog chain would pull smoother.
That's one silly reason I like merino wool.
I remember the days of near lightning bolts.
Isn't there supposed to be a dryer sheet or something.

Dryer sheets that help minimize static leave a waxy build up that ruins the high tech fabric you paid for, so avoid that if you can. Putting lotion on your skin will help with static. Like Tripod says merino wool does not really build up static, so once your done with underwear made of synthetics, wool is a good option. Otherwise find yourself a good ground. Google recommends a safety pin on the garment somewhere. I'm a big fan of merino though. Once I found a dead bird and wrapped it in merino wool and after a few minutes it came back to life. Really how can polypropylene compete with that!

I have merino wool socks and merino wool base layer. But not much beats a nylon-type shell on a rain jacket, or a nylon shell on an ultra light down vest. Those garments each get static buildup after wearing them for just a few minutes.

Back