Lets build an accurate coyote killer

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onecant say that i've looked at them specifically, but they look ok.

i do prefer a full length top rail, but thats a personal preference - and if i'm being perfectly honest its mostly cosmetic reasons.

for the $$ those look like a decent gig, i'd just be cautious that the ID fits your barrel profile and gas block style well without interference. if the GB is making contact with the handguard, that can cause holy [beeep] with your accuracy. i want a least enough room between there to slide a business card in.

I just helped a friend put an upper together with a varmint profile barrel that had a .875 gas block journal. They are a fairly slim handguard but, with a Troy low-profile gas block, there was still a bit of wiggle room. Not a lot, but it would easily pass the business card test. If you wanted to run an adjustable gas block, you'd probably have to go with a barrel that has a .750" gas block journal. I used to be all about having the extra rail on the top as well, but the more I use AR's for coyote hunting and longer range target shooting, the more I appreciate keeping things as simple, sleek, and snag free as possible.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: Varminterror

3). I've been very happy with the Troy Alpha Rail

i own a troy alpha - nice rail, but lots of sharp edges. almost as much of a cheese grater as a quadrail is, especially if shot without gloves.

if you do decide to go this route - make sure you order a set of Squiddies to plug the gaps and take the rough edges off.

I have 4 of them, never really noticed they were any sharper than anything else. Mine are all FDE, maybe they're blasted differently.

its possible mine's a lemon, or that they've resolved the issue since then, but everywhere there's a circle that meets up with the fluting - every corner is sharp. not like cut you sharp, but crisp - not rounded at all. as i said it felt like holding a quadrail that went 360', with shallower grooves.

when i got it and realized how it was - google said its a common issue, and thats how i found out about squiddies. didnt feel it was right to have to add $30 worth of rubber grommets to what was a $150+ rail at the time. If it wasnt a common thing, why would troy make an aftermarket add-on to resolve it. *shrug*

Back