Pistols for coyotes?

Fur Freaks

Anyone do much hunting with a T\C Contender or an XP100? I really want an XP100R but for the money I could own 2-3 guns. Looking at picking up a contender in .223 with 4x scope and bipod.

My buddy sometimes hunts with a Contender in .223 and also has one in 32-20. Pretty sweet guns. I have no experience with the XP100.

Last edited:
My 17 Fireball XP has been my go-to coyote hunting setup for years. Have also used a 6.5 WSM XP/6.5-20x Holland HUMR ART reticle for long range as well. Now have a 243 XP I will also be using some. Used to use a 6.5-284 XP as well, years back.

I have a TC Contender and they work great. I’ll take my .223 with 14” barrel and throw it over my shoulder with a sling and a handful of ammo and walk all day from stand to stand for miles. So light weight and very accurate. I have a 6TCU 16.25” barrel on a rifle Stock setup that works well too.

They are great accurate guns and anytime you want a new caliber barrels are found under $200 used.

I’d recommend them.

When living in Az, I shot several with a GP100, 357 Mag with Sierra, Win, and Rem 125g HP. Killed two with a 45 ACP +p 185g NOsler HP.

All shots with pistols are 15-35 yards, typical shotgun shots. Coyotes were on the move most of the time.

I missed several, all coming in to the call, close range. One saw the reflection on the stainless pistol for sure. Purposefully hunting with a pistol has cost me some tails for sure.

Hunting with a scoped pistol would be a challenge like hunting with a bow, perhaps more so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fur FreaksAnyone do much hunting with a T\C Contender or an XP100? I really want an XP100R but for the money I could own 2-3 guns. Looking at picking up a contender in .223 with 4x scope and bipod.

The old adage of "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.

I have not killed any coyotes with my xp100, but i have killed several elk, a few mule deer, and a whitetail with it. I have taken it out for ground squirrels in the past. xp100's are very accurate, at least mine is.

I have. An old xp in 7br with a 2.5x7 simmons and contender super14 in 223 with a 2.5x8 loopy. Sling it across your body grab a light pack and some shooting sticks. I hunted with these 2 guns with various barrels for 15 years or so.

Cabela's Gun Library in Wichita, KS had a Savage Striker mid grip repeater 243win, stainless, integral variable brake, synthetic stock, for $400 last week. If I didn't have one just like it already, I'd have bought it. Almost did anyway. If it's still there when I get my Christmas bonus in Jan, I still might.

I started down the hunting pistol path with an Encore stainless/synthetic model. After miserable accuracy with all ammo, including the factory ammo T/C said they used to test the barrel, I traded in on new Savage Striker(out of production now), in 308 Win. Very accurate pistol. Mine doesn't have a break, and the recoil is intense. I killed a number of deer with that pistol, out to 150 yards, but I finally decided I have had my fill of the recoil. So it sits in the safe waiting for me to decide what to re-barrel it in. Something in the 6mm-6.5mm range, with the 47mm Lapua case being the front runner at the moment. Since I have 6mm WOA dies, and an AR-15, in 6mm WOA, I would do that in a heartbeat, if I could find a barrel vendor that would make it. But with a lower recoiling round, the Savage Striker would make a good less expensive solution to an XP, and a coyote won't notice any potential difference in accuracy.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: RiflemannJust started carrying the S&W 460 XVR along on yote hunting trips , we’ll see what’s left after the “Beast” does its job.

That's where I'm at.
I need to see how that 200gr ftx dispatches a coyote. I need to see it.

Originally Posted By: SqueezeI started down the hunting pistol path with an Encore stainless/synthetic model. After miserable accuracy with all ammo, including the factory ammo T/C said they used to test the barrel, I traded in on new Savage Striker(out of production now), in 308 Win. Very accurate pistol. Mine doesn't have a break, and the recoil is intense. I killed a number of deer with that pistol, out to 150 yards, but I finally decided I have had my fill of the recoil. So it sits in the safe waiting for me to decide what to re-barrel it in. Something in the 6mm-6.5mm range, with the 47mm Lapua case being the front runner at the moment. Since I have 6mm WOA dies, and an AR-15, in 6mm WOA, I would do that in a heartbeat, if I could find a barrel vendor that would make it. But with a lower recoiling round, the Savage Striker would make a good less expensive solution to an XP, and a coyote won't notice any potential difference in accuracy.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: Fur FreaksNot familiar with the striker I'll check it out too. Thanks

Seems like most of the Strikers I've seen for sale are in 308 and 243, some 260 and 22-250. They can also be found in 223, which is what I went for. Just a plain Jane synthetic/blued shooting a load tailored to a Burris 3-12 ballistic-plex. It still has a pretty good jump, but it is fun to shoot and is as accurate as any gun I own. Calling with it definitely adds to the challenge, but it sure is easy to carry.

I do some yote hunting with XP's.
This past October..."Last Thursday morning, we saw a really wide antelope buck, but I wasn't ready to shoot one yet as we hadn't looked at anything else. Then, we began to do the typical thing, glass the area, move, and glass the next area. After doing this for sometime, Dan saw a coyote to his left moving almost parallel to us. I had not even got the XP out of the back yet, but had everything else on me ready to go. She was just around 200 yards when I quickly ranged her. By the time I was set up, she was around 325 yards. Both of us were surprised that I had enough time to make the shot.
I knew that I?d ranged a little ridge (325 yards/5 MOA ) in front of her, so I aimed a little high (Still on the body), made a good trigger press, and we were convinced we put a good hit on her. She went just over the other side of that ridge and disappeared. We assumed she was down and then we continued heading south, glassing looking for more antelope.
The two track has a dead-end so we turned around and headed back that same way, and then got out and walked over to where we thought she would be. We did not measure how far she ran before she went down, but Dan guessed it to be 40-50 yards. We were able to find the actual impact point by the stringing out of hair and the blood trail, which Dan thought that was pretty cool. Shot placement was right where I wanted it to be."
284 Winchester/162 grain A-Max

WVTupUCh.jpg

Back