Big Letdown! FOXPRO FUSION

I walked right off of a drop off into an irrigation ditch one night when I was calling coon a few years ago. Had the FoxPro Spitfire with remote, Both lights to the Elusive Wildlife Predator Kill light package, and my 22 mag on me when I went swimming. Completely submerged myself and all the electronics. Crawled out of the ditch to some hunting buddies that were laughing so hard they almost cra**ed their pants, walked back to the jeep, drove home in my underwear. I took the spitfire and remote, opened both of them up and commenced drying them for about 3 days. Changed the batteries out of them and when I put everything back together, the call and remote worked. Not what it was meant to endure, but it survived. I still run FoxPro calls to this day because one of their calls I had survived what it wasn't really supposed to. I personally have never had an issue with the non- weather proofing characteristic that most game calls possess.

Originally Posted By: crapshootIt's only water resistant unless you can fully submerge it. Most electronic companies won't make that claim, even watch companies. Most watches say water RESISTANT up to xxx meters or ft.

True.... The word waterproof isnt really used much anymore other than for a ducks a**.

The electronics industry uses a rating system called ie IPxx. IP = Ingress protection. the first number is 1-6 which is dust resistance. The second one is 1-9 which is water resistance and corresponds to spraying and submersion depth and time. ie the Iphone 7/8/X is IP67. It has the highest dust resistance #6 and the #7 equates to 30 minutes under water at 3ft max depth. It would prob be leakproof at a deeper depth but for a much shorter time. My Iphone 5s died in a matter of minutes when I left it sitting outside in a hard rain. It had no IP rating cause it wasnt weather resistant at all. 500 dollar gadget went in the trash can.

For non-rated 'weather proof' items like game cams I stuff a few desiccant packs in the battery compartment to absorb any moisture. The battery lids are usually the spot where moisture gets in. Sometimes I seal the lids with silicone.

You have a good chance of saving your non sealed gadget if it is submerged when turned off. Then crack open the case and blow dry with an air compressor, spray everything with corrosion-x and then bake in an oven at 140 deg for 4 hrs.

The best thing to do with new electronics that are not sealed is to take them apart when new and completely soak all parts and connections with corrosion-x red can. And then do it again every year. That stuff is amazing. It is great for guns also. It creates a long lasting dielectric film that bonds to metals and keeps any moisture on top of the film. It also lubes. The military invented it to stop their jets from rotting away while being used on aircraft carriers. Every gun store should shelve this stuff!

Originally Posted By: tesoroOriginally Posted By: lowtempguruWho makes the waterproof E caller you are looking to purchase? I am curious..

The only one I have found so far is:

https://convergenthunting.com

The developer says can leave it out in the rain all day long. If you 'drop it in a lake' turn it off and let it dry out for a few days before using. Works with the iphone 8 which is fully waterproof. Lifetime warranty on parts. It is line of sight like all of them with max range 100 yds due to enhanced blue tooth built in antenna. Li-ion rechargeable battery -no aa's. Lasts 10hrs on continual rock n roll type music so about 3 days of normal hunting calling. 4 hr recharge off 12v usb. Multiple free apps to download depending on what you are hunting for. Has a picattiny mount for video with calling controls overlay so you can film what you are shooting and use the controls. Reviews are good from people who understood the line of sight constraints.

Based on what I read being waterproof is the only +. I'd stick with Foxpro a plastic bag and a camo umbrella. I can't see trading all the other +++'s.

OP, were your dropped on your head as a child?

How much calling do YOU do in the rain? Are you that uncoordinated that you continually stumble into ponds and creeks, going completely underwater?

I've called in the rain, in complete downpours. I'm talking horse pissing on a flat rock rain. Multiple times and didn't call sh!t in. My Fury 2 kept working. My hunting partner thought it would be a good idea to hang the call on a branch out over a running creek, until that branch broke and it took a dip. It was grabbed before it went completely under. And the Fury 2 still worked.

I slipped one time while jumping over a creek. Luckily I have cat like reflexes and coordination so that I was able to only have one boot and a knee wet. The Fury 2 still worked but I was a mad sumbitch for the rest of the hunt.

My point is, quitcherbitchin. Return it to the store, write Foxpro a nasty e-mail and let them know about your self-diagnosed Aquaphobia and how they should really cater to people with disabilities like yours. Then go buy the Convergent and show us all the critters you kill with it.

Originally Posted By: wormydog1724OP, were your dropped on your head as a child?

How much calling do YOU do in the rain? Are you that uncoordinated that you continually stumble into ponds and creeks, going completely underwater?

I've called in the rain, in complete downpours. I'm talking horse pissing on a flat rock rain. Multiple times and didn't call sh!t in. My Fury 2 kept working. My hunting partner thought it would be a good idea to hang the call on a branch out over a running creek, until that branch broke and it took a dip. It was grabbed before it went completely under. And the Fury 2 still worked.

I slipped one while jumping over a creek. Luckily I have cat like reflexes and coordination that I was able to only have one boot and knee wet. The Fury 2 still worked but I was a mad sumbitch for the rest of the hunt.

My point is, quitcherbitchin. Return it to the store, write Foxpro a nasty e-mail and let them know your self-diagnosed Aquaphobia and how they should really cater to people with disabilities like yours. Then go buy the Convergent and show all the critters you kill with it.
Yes!!!!!^^^^^^
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: wormydog1724OP, were your dropped on your head as a child?

My point is, quitcherbitchin. Return it to the store, write Foxpro a nasty e-mail and let them know your self-diagnosed Aquaphobia and how they should really cater to people with disabilities like yours. Then go buy the Convergent and show all the critters you kill with it.

I thought that but was a little more subtle in my approach. I have a big smile on my face now.
thumbup1.gif

I slipped one time while jumping over a creek. Luckily I have cat like reflexes and coordination so that I was able to only have one boot and a knee wet. The Fury 2 still worked but I was a mad sumbitch for the rest of the hunt.

My point is, quitcherbitchin. Return it to the store, write Foxpro a nasty e-mail and let them know about your self-diagnosed Aquaphobia and how they should really cater to people with disabilities like yours. Then go buy the Convergent and show us all the critters you kill with it.
lol.gif

I have to agree with build qaulity of the housing as in no gaskets and the rubber plug to my charging port will not stay seated in the closed position from the day I got it. Otherwise it works fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tesoro

The best thing to do with new electronics that are not sealed is to take them apart when new and completely soak all parts and connections with corrosion-x red can. And then do it again every year. That stuff is amazing. It is great for guns also. It creates a long lasting dielectric film that bonds to metals and keeps any moisture on top of the film. It also lubes. The military invented it to stop their jets from rotting away while being used on aircraft carriers. Every gun store should shelve this stuff!

Seems to me you could have done this to your new fusion and enjoyed it many features.

I also agree that more could be done by manufacturers to weather proof our expensive electronics.

That being said I have always just allowed my fusion to dry out, outside its case when it has gotten wet.

Back