cheap NV option suggestions JUST for scanning

kec

I have been predator hunting for awhile now and have gone thru the equipment evolution from shooting stick to lights and...still moving forward like so many have done, many are doing, and many who have yet to go through the process will do. In any event, my question concerns night hunting optics. Let me say as others before me have said - yea I'd like to get the best that's out there and would if I could but my circumstances which include cost, times available for hunting, # of times I can hunt, and available hunting areas prohibit such a financial outlay for such luxuries. I started with sportsman guide red lights and battery packs. Upgraded to brand name lights (not much better). Graduated to a lightforce 180 ([beeep] bright - good visibility - [beeep] heavy battery - good light)! - Did I mention I hunt alone? Next went with the sniper hog lights headlight(red light) and sniperhog gun mounted light (red) sitting on top of my day scope. Love these lights. Next - bought a photon xt 4.5 power and sniperhog IR modules. So my current rig brings me to the photon with the sniperhog light (IR module) sitting on top for ID and shooting (works well as long as I keep the sniperhog light toned down). I still used the sniperhog headlight (red light) for scanning eyes. Then I began to test my old old old Tasco Gen 1 (gotta be 20 years old) NV monocular with the sniperhog gun light (IR) mounted to it and put a t20 IR on the gun. My 20 year old Tasco NV w/ 3x takes a few to turn on, the fish-eye effect is really bad, the view is very grainy/distorted but does pick up eyes from the IR bounce back a couple hundred yards out. So now I would like to upgrade again and was looking for a "very use-able" scanning device that will pick up eyes a good 250/300 yards away (not ID) that won't break the bank. The scanning device must be able to accept an external IR source for my IR flashlight. Was thinking that a newer gen 1 monocular for $250 or so would be an improvement over my "old" one but not sure how much of an improvement there would be if any or if it would be a waste of money giving me nothing netter than what I already have. I could also get another digital day/night scope to scan with which could also act as a spare should i need it but to the tune of $500+. In that case, I'd seriously have to consider putting those $'s toward a thermal scanning unit (saw a pulsar thermal xq23v for as low as $1440 delivered on ebay black friday sale woodbury outfitters).So, For scanning, I have concluded from what i have read so far that thermal units as capable as the xq23v would be able to "detect" heat signatures of coyote size critters out to 300+ yards. I can not see getting a NV scope that would cost that much or more to "detect" critters while scanning. Would love to have a gen 2/3 on the gun for id/shooting but will have to settle for my photon for now. So my question comes down to this - Are there any low cost devices gen 1/digital that would allow decent scanning for eyes for $200-$300 (remember I just need it for scanning for eyes). Anything much more than that and I'd rather wait for the pulsar unit to go on sale or drop in price and put my hard earned $'s toward that. then maybe in a few years and some price drops (hopefully) will be able to upgrade my gun scope to a gen 2/3. So anyone have any experiences with the newer cheap NV monocular that will fit the bill for spotting eyes 250/300 yards out?

Last edited:
Hey kec,
I have a pair of those binos htrn mentions, got them from him. Take a look in the classifieds on here & shoot me a PM if interested.

Thanks Kevin (HTRN) - read a bunch of your reviews and saw a bunch of your videos - good stuff and thanks for doing them as they help us when we go to relieve ourselves of our hard earned Benjamins. Went out last night and Think I am going to trash the cheap NV idea and upgrade after watching a bunch of your product reviews. New decision - thermal for scanning or Gen2+ scope....gotta get some more play dough and decide which will come first but leaning toward a scanner first. As far as scopes I do like the nemesis 4x + qs you have but also like the atn Thor 384 thermals for the same price range (need to do more research on the ATN due to reputation). Also considering some new/old an/pvs-4 or mk845 from NAIT (providing I can figure a way to add external IR to it). my longest shots are 150 yards with most between 75 and 125 I'd say using my bolt remington 700 in 223 or my WSSM in 223. How does your bearing optics thermal compare to say the Pulsar xd19a or xq23v/30v - I saw your review and it looked pretty good but I have read so many positives for the pulsars including great customer service/warranty service to the performance of their units?
thanks for your help - your reviews are a big help.

kec

Last edited:
Thanks Darknight - did check out your ad and figured if you did what you said you did after trying them - I'd probably end up doing the same. Looks like I'll be deciding and waiting on a thermal for scanning. But thanks for the offer.

This is sold but was a killer combo at the time, can't remember the actual price, my buddy bought the Photon and I grabbed the mini DVR and it got split up but was a great package deal.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...636#Post3087636

As guys upgrade their thermals more 19a or similar will become available.

Cabelas flyer in the mail today had the Sightmark Photon 4.6 for $349 sale starts 12/7

A used Hd19a, photon and IR light can be had for under $1500 if you keep your eyes open.

For the ranges you are talking the Photon is a good option, I feel confident to 200 with it.

Last edited:
pmack - I like my photon xt as well - wish I had the recorder for it! Anyway - sitting waiting for prices to drop on thermals.

I ended up picking up the Pulsar xq23v from Amazon with the 20% off Pulsar promotion Sale for certain Pulsar items (got it for $1356.30 + 109.22 tax = 1474.52. Missed a couple in the 1400's already (gunbroker-$1470 and ebay - $1440) so figured I better git if i was going to git at all! Gunbroker still had 1 on bid for $1550 or so. Now for part 2 the NV gen 2+ scope. - will have to start working towards that to replace my photon xt - can't do it now!
thanks all

Back