Its cat season!!!

Santiam

Dec 1st is when cat season opens here in Oregon...Probably my favorite opener of the year...I don't mess with coyotes and such..I hunt CATS!!
wink.gif

My first couple trips out was dry...It couldn't have been any slower with just a couple owl fly bys..

I decided to go high and hunt the snow..And there was plenty of it..

FESzH8e.jpg

After a bit I found my first customer...I like to call where I know cats are close by..Adds excitement I think..

4fk4vpu.jpg

The cat was a no show,but I did have a owl attack..No fly by this time..You can see talon tracks in the snow.
smile.gif

EMGwcnl.jpg

Not finding anymore fresh tracks,I did some blind calling on crossings and draws with no luck..I decided to call it for the night and headed for home,but I did take a longer way out that kept me in the snow..I came across a area,that while I didn't see anything that looked super fresh,there were quite a few cat tracks...I climbed a ridge that gave me access to a canyon off the road and set up..

At the 16 minute mark I was just about to pick up my call,when I saw what I have been waiting all summer for...Red eyes glowing..

That is the addiction I cat hunt for...I don't know what it is about the eyes,but I get such a rush when I see them.. Addictive I tell ya...

Not very big,but its a cat and I'll take her...Already thinking about the next rush..
wink.gif

3kaBxcG.jpg

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

Very nice. We haven't even got a sniff of snow yet this year, been unseasonably warm and dry. Hopefully soon though...

Wow, good going Santiam! To tell you honestly, I didn't even realize night hunting for bobcat was even legal (in Oregon) until I saw your thread just now and looked it up. The rule says no wildlife shall be hunted by casting an artificial light...but I had never noticed that an exception is made for coons, bobcats and opossums.

Thanks! I learned something.

Last edited:
Coyotes happen while I am bobcat hunting. Target of opportunity and they keep me in practice while waiting for cat season. Congrats!

Originally Posted By: beaverquackWow, good going Santiam! To tell you honestly, I didn't even realize night hunting for bobcat was even legal (in Oregon) until I saw your thread just now and looked it up. The rule says no wildlife shall be hunted by casting an artificial light...but I had never noticed that an exception is made for coons, bobcats and opossums.

Thanks! I learned something.

You are missing out..
wink.gif

Awesome write up. Great job on the cat. Our season opened up here on Oct. 15th and I love shining a light for them. Can't wait to get out after them here again.

Here in CA we can buy five tags for bobcats. What's the limit and tag requirement in OR?

Again, nice job.

There is no limit here in Western Oregon..However once my 15 slots are filled in my card,I have to buy another one..$35 I think...Eastern Oregon has a 5 cat limit...

Awesome! Is that a savage walking varminter? I like targeting specific coyotes and this will be my first year targeting any bobcat. How long were you sitting on stand?

Originally Posted By: HalbachAwesome! Is that a savage walking varminter? I like targeting specific coyotes and this will be my first year targeting any bobcat. How long were you sitting on stand?

Yes,walking varminter in 17 hornet...I highly recommend the 17 hornet..The varminter,not so much..

smile.gif

For cats here in Oregon with heavy forest and canyons I call for 12 to 20 minutes depending on how far I think I am getting out,which usually isn't very far...Any more than that is a waste IMHO..

Good luck

Haha, heard the varminter’s were tack drivers but left a bit to be desired elsewhere. Seems to do the trick though! 12-20 huh? I’ll be in thick draws and such too mostly so that’s good to know. Thank you!

Back