Should I be scared to shoot my Lightweight Grendel?

jk2paintworx

I am finishing a really sweet calling rifle. 2A armament Balios rec set. 18" Fluted Lilja Barrel..... It's cool. But one of the things I added to save weight is a Taccom LW buffer system. It's a 10%. Softer spring and a 2 piece Delrin buffer. The instruction are pretty blunt about the need to be certain of rifle length Tube, Steel Bolt and Adj Gas block. Or injury/Death. I Understand the importance of wash of these areas and I'm using top notch stuff but wanted to run this by you AR guys. The stock is a very thin very light Smoke Composites piece. Its a Rifle length with a internal depth of 9.5". The Bolt is a Faxon Gunner lightweight (steel with cutouts). The Adj gasblock is SLR Ti.

I notice that with that upper on other lowers and all my other ARs the bolt travels almost all the way outside of the ejection port and I can only see 1/2 of the bolt lug when I pull the charging handle then manually push the bolt back until it stops. With the Taccom system I can see the full length + of the lugs. Sorry it's hard to explain but basically the bolt travels at least 1/4"-1/2" less w Taccom

It's a badass rifle if I do say so myself. But I am a bit nervous about plastic buffers in a thin composite tube pressed up against my face. I picture it all smashing apart and blowing out the side of that thin tube. I do know the importance of starting with block fully closed... Just don't want to feel like it's risky or fragile....

Am I Crazy. Lol

If you don't have confidence in your build, something is seriously wrong and you need to reevaluate why you're building in the first place.

It might crack and quit working but no danger of injury. It's not pressured gas and is still going to have to get through the side wall. Relax and go shot it. A range report is a nice thing to let us know how you did.

Apparently they aren't exactly an IED as nothing on the net reflects catastrophic failures.

Greg

Maybe you should have been more concerned about buying parts that you trust, rather than trying to shave off a couple ounces. I never did understand why people feel the need to mess with the AR buffer system. It was all designed to work together and, when you start messing with those components, you willingly take a step into the unknown. I honestly have no idea what you're talking about in your second paragraph. Either the bolt travels far enough back to properly lock back on the bolt stop or it doesn't That's gonna be the same place on any AR pattern rifle.

That said, quit being a chicken and go shoot it. Start with the gas block closed, and slowly open it with each progressive shot until the bolt reliably locks back on the bolt stop. If you do that, your fancy buffer system and tube should be just fine. If, in that process, the tube breaks and you get slapped with a buffer spring, I'd say the tube is a substandard product and you should get your money back.

I have a lower with the same buffer and spring in it that I don't have any issues with. All my uppers have adjustable gas blocks on them and are used suppressed. I've used the lower with several different uppers and it's never had any issues

LOL. Point taken guys. especially 6724. "So badass you are afraid to shoot it". I might get that engraved on the side of the receiver.
I am confident in my build and the parts I used but have not used plastic buffers before. All BOLD RED PRINT on the Taccom instructions just caught me off guard. I will stop being a mangina and go shoot the thing.

Thanks guys.

Just let one of your "friends" have the "privilege" of shooting it FIRST. Then pick up the pieces and try again.

if you're nervous about it - lock it in a leadsled or other similar contraption and use a peice of string to set off the first round.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the suggestions. I don't know what I'm worried about. I did everything right and used quality parts. It will be fine. But im gonna wear my Camo Motocross gear when I shoot it just in case. Walkin into coyote stands in Full MX gear with a light A$$ rifle seems like a good call. Can't be too safe.

Originally Posted By: cjclemensMaybe you should have been more concerned about buying parts that you trust, rather than trying to shave off a couple ounces. I never did understand why people feel the need to mess with the AR buffer system. It was all designed to work together and, when you start messing with those components, you willingly take a step into the unknown. I honestly have no idea what you're talking about in your second paragraph. Either the bolt travels far enough back to properly lock back on the bolt stop or it doesn't That's gonna be the same place on any AR pattern rifle.

That said, quit being a chicken and go shoot it. Start with the gas block closed, and slowly open it with each progressive shot until the bolt reliably locks back on the bolt stop. If you do that, your fancy buffer system and tube should be just fine. If, in that process, the tube breaks and you get slapped with a buffer spring, I'd say the tube is a substandard product and you should get your money back.

Why do people mod anything? We should all just drive Toyota Camrys because they have been designed to work.
tongue_smilie.gif

Redleg. Here's what was going through my mind when I started reading all the BOLD PRINT WARNINGS. The buffer system uses 2 plastic pieces, one on each end of the spring with a tiny little rubber bumper on the end of one of em where they make contact when bolt cycles.
In my inexperienced mind I picture these two pieces slamming together and fracturing, smashing through the thin wall carbon fiber buffer tube and forcing Delrin and carbon fiber into the left side of my face. This would leave me severely disfigured and I would be forced to live alone for the rest of my life due to my hideous scars.
Excuse my ignorance for I have been around mechanical things for a long time and like making things go fast, but only been playing with rifles for a couple years. Perhaps I let my mind get carried away and have seen to many catastrophic engine failures when limits are pushed to far.

Glad you are entertained willy1947.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneif you're nervous about it - lock it in a leadsled or other similar contraption and use a peice of string to set off the first round.

Just remember to take it off full auto when you do that.

Back