Virginia Bobcat

Pruson

After much effort and alot of research and more and more scouting I called in and killed this nice bobcat this afternoon about 4:30. Some contributing factors were in the past I had used decoys, but almost every article I read suggested a decoy with motion (bought the FoxJack 4 yesterday) it worked. Most cats come to the edge and sit and watch, if it is not enticing enough, they leave. I made it enticing. Several research papers by PhD candidates in Wildlife Biology stated that Bobcat activity increased significantly with a southern wind, I had that today between 5-10 mph out of the South and Southwest. I ignored any concern for scent cone (this is a cat, not a coyote) and focused on having great visibility near very tight cover where they felt secured, very tight, adjacent to new growth pine cutovers. I sat low to the ground on a high hillside.

I stopped hunting where I thought they should be and started hunting only where I "knew" they were. Trail cameras had them all summer and fall, visual sightings by myself and others, many others that were reliable.

Kimber Montana 22-250 with a Leupld 4.5x14x50 Illuminated German #4 Dot reticle. Shot at approx 100yds while charging into the call. Total time elapsed from the time I turned on the call was approx 3 minutes, came at a run. Using FoxPro Fusion playing Devil Hare with the Foxjack dancing away.

Unlike everything I heard about them coming slow was out the window, no time to get excited. Just shoot!

GjJdsQsl.jpg

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

Thanks everyone, I took her to Butch Williams Taxidermy there in Powhatan. I thought it was pretty enough to mount.

Good luck to all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GCCongrats on your cat Sonny!

Thanks GC, if you ever get out this way let me know and we'll call something in.

Wow, what a first rate trophy...beautiful color and a lot of nice dark spots. Virginia cats don't give it up very easy and you got a nice one!!!!! I treed one one night while coon hunting in King George county. Have several on my cameras at my cabin in Natural Bridge, only ever called in one. It was at the cabin and at night. That thing came in so fast and squirrely there was no way I could hit it without a shotgun and even then....it disappeared as fast as it showed up. Good luck with the next one!!!

Beautiful cat Sonny, and nice rifle and scope.

I have called two cats that came on the run, nothing stealthy about those two. A very hard charger responded to a raccoon fight sound. The other was called with a doe bleat.

Back