224 Valkyrie???

steve garrett

what in the world is the 224 valkyrie? is it simply a 22 grendel? It looks like its setup to shoot longer bullets. any idea how it does with light bullets? someone aught to make the grendel case the same lenght as the 6.8 case, then we would have something I might actually switch to.

It is actually a shortened 6.8 case basically designed to shoot long, heavy bullets (90 grain SMK)

The claim is that it will stay supersonic beyond 1300 yards, out doing the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Shilen has agreed to build the 6.5 twist .224 barrels for me, so we will be producing uppers fairly soon.

Originally Posted By: dtechIt is actually a shortened 6.8 case basically designed to shoot long, heavy bullets (90 grain SMK)

The claim is that it will stay supersonic beyond 1300 yards, out doing the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Shilen has agreed to build the 6.5 twist .224 barrels for me, so we will be producing uppers fairly soon.

why wouldn't the grendel case make more sense? if you shorten the 6.8 case much its no better than a 223 case. I personally think the real improvement would be figuring out how to make the BR case work in the platform and make it widely available, with plug and play parts.

thanks mike for your response. I actually saw this on your website today. and thought 224 valkyrie??

Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: dtechIt is actually a shortened 6.8 case basically designed to shoot long, heavy bullets (90 grain SMK)

why wouldn't the grendel case make more sense? if you shorten the 6.8 case much its no better than a 223 case. I personally think the real improvement would be figuring out how to make the BR case work in the platform and make it widely available, with plug and play parts.

thanks mike for your response. I actually saw this on your website today. and thought 224 valkyrie??

Steve, I hear ya, but I didn’t design it! Some big names in the industry are embarrassing it, so we figured we better pay attention. The company that is doing the testing in conjunction with Federal Cartridge, has contacted us about some some minor assistance with their end of the project. The last I knew, there were some minor adjustments in the neck, so our reamer got put on hold for I bit.

I would like to see how it runs with the 70-75gr stuff, I may pull apart my six8 upper a build one once more info is out. If I were attending shot this year it would be the first info I went after.

Volume is going to be only slightly moire than a 223 and less than the 22 Nosler based on the articles I'm reading. The Nosler is only a bit over 3 grains more than a 223 and this one will probably be mid-way. Other than the really heavy bullets it will be an horse race if they hold it to 55-57,000.

Greg

Fired case volume as reported by a fellow on You Tube:

556 LC 31.5
Valkyrie 32.2
6.5 Grendel 35.8
22 Nosler 36.9

I just necked up a Winchester 204 Ruger case, fired, and capacity on it was 33.3 grains. This cartridge is in for a long road on light bullets.

Greg

Originally Posted By: tj66My Hornady 22-204ai fireformed brass capacity was 34.3 grains.

The AI does pay off in these little guys.

Looks like we'll win the speed race on the under 80 grain crowd.

Greg

Back