My buddy and i hunted this past Friday night and Saturday together on some new ground

Mr. Poppadopalis

I will start with this past weekend because it is fairly fresh in my memory. Friday night we did 7 stands and called in a total of 6 Coyotes, we went to bed with 6 in the truck and then woke early to get to our next hunting spot. I haven't hunted this spot since last year and the land owner told me the only people back there have been big game hunting and that ended a week or so ago.

1st stand a lone Female came into the call at around the 4 minute mark, i shot her at appr 150 yards before she could get any farther down wind. Next stand was a blank, although i would have bet money on 1 coming in. Off to the 3rd stand, the call is going about 3 minutes and i see a Coyote coming over the rise about 450 yards out, it was very cautious and stood there for about 2 minutes, i switched the sound to Vole Squeaks and it came another 180 yards or so and sat on the top of a ravine, my buddy put him down , walked out to it and came back empty handed. This one had mange. On to the next stand which is about 3 miles West of the last one.

Fire up the Revolt and about 10 minutes in i spot a Coyote at about 1 1/2 miles to the West of our location, he is on his Arse just listening, i glass some more and spot a group of Antelope about 1 1/2 miles to the NW of us. The Antelope grew fur and long tails and i could now make them out to be 4 coyotes heading South. They saw the truck and the ranger.

We drive the truck to a somewhat secure location and offload the Polaris ranger.
Drive about 1 mile to the back of a fairly large hill, park and crest the side. I start the call and 1 minute in i spot a Coyote that must have been bedded down and popped up to look toward the sound. It stood there for a few minutes and i ranged it at 242 yards.
Bam! Down it goes and then i see another running away from behind it, my buddy fired a couple rounds with no luck. I walk down to gather up my prize, it is nowhere to be found. I am shooting a Savage .243 wth Hornady Superformance 58 grain. We looked for 10 minutes and no luck so it's back down the road.

We drive about 1 mile and set up in an area we think would have some Coyotes, nothing!! I decide we need to walk across the two track and call up the draw on the other side. My buddy is about 125 yards downwind of me (East) and i placed the call between us. 3 minutes in and i see 3 Coyotes coming from some tree rows about 1/2 mile away. I shoot the first Coyote and the 2nd one stopped, my buddy and i shot it a split second apart, as it is spinnng and screaming the 3rd Coyote came into about 175 yards and i put him down.

We found Coyotes #2 and #3. Didn't find the first Coyote i shot. Two nice males in the back of the ranger. It was now around lunch time so we headed to town, filled up the truck with diesel and headed to another spot i hadn't been to in a while. 1st stand and here comes a coyote, i shoot her at about 150 yards and no other takers. Off to the next spot, fire up the Revolt and here comes Mr. Coyote at about 4 minutes in, i was laying prone and had a yucca/silkweed in my line of fire. I WOOF and he stops at about 50 yards. Another nice Yote in the truck. Down the road we go to an awesome looking canyon that has produced in the past. Notta this go around.

Once again Down the road about 2 miles and we drive a 2 track about 150 yards to the North. Set up the caller facing North as the wind was coming out of the West. I spot 4 Coyotes walking to the north and they are about 700 yards to the East of us. They saw the truck and didn't want to play.

I am sure i am missing some, i at ne time would write everything down in a notebook and it usually said - Blank stand, Blank stand!

My buddy has decided he will skin all the coyotes and we split the money, he is saving up for a thermal scanner. He has been used my my ATN Thor scope and Flir LS64 for scanning.

I believe he has 12 skinned and has another 12 or so to go. Then i will take the 9 I have in my freezer and he will skin, stretch and dry them as well.

He sent me a picture of his big toe, he dropped his skinning knife and it went through his boot and into his toe.

We only hunted Friday night and Saturday, I counted 17 Coyotes in total, we kept 13 for the furs. 2 we didn't find and 2 had mange, one looked like a Baboon!

I believe we are nearing or over the 50 mark for Coyotes so far this year. This includes early coyotes we didn't keep and coyotes with mange.

I have picture but can't post them, I will see if i can get my buddy 204ar to post them for me.

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now. Scroll down for pictures.

see if this works:

Here is how I do it.
I put the photo on my desktop.
Open Imgur
I have Imgur set to open directly in my library.
Select "add image". You can browse or drag from there.
The image will be added to your library.
Click on the photo that you want.
When it opens you will see 6 link options on the right.
The 5th one down is the BBCode (message board & forums) link.
Click "copy".
Then paste it into your PM post.

You have to be in your library to get the link options.

Here we go, that's a pile of dogs!

bzWGgell.jpg

This must be the double
thumbup1.gif

Xd1QyIwl.jpg

I like that dog box in the truck, keeps the mess to a minimum.

CcA3kHal.jpg

Steve's doing a nice job I think. Did I shoot any of those? They look good!
7Dz7Y4sl.jpg

May thy Ranger be overfloweth!

OzHiPrrl.jpg

Lined up so pretty
aur2u3Bl.jpg

Yuk, why didn't you hold him up for the pose?

Plzdecul.jpg

Ouch, tell Stevo to be more careful with sharp instruments!

Originally Posted By: HuffrangerWay to go Mr. P Originally Posted By: HuffrangerWay to go Mr. P

Thanks Huffy!!Originally Posted By: 6mm06
That's a lot of coyotes P. How are fur prices?

Not quite sure yet. I do know a guy that averaged $31.66 for 6 Coyotes.
1 at $60, 1 at $50 and 4 at $20. These are on the carcass.

My buddy is skinning, stretching, and drying all the ones we kept.

I believe he has a total of 31 to do and I have an additional 9 in my freezer for him;-)

Back