Perfect Season!

erikc838

Got lucky this season, drawing out for multiple animals and being able to punch every single tag on opening day.

My last hunt of the season was cow elk. I had just bought a new pack, new knife and was using a gun that I had yet to harvest anything with. We noticed pretty early on that from the archery hunts, youth hunts and muzzleloader hunts, the elk were very hesitant to stick around. We were busted a few times, only to watch elk vanish as quickly as they had appeared. About midday I saw a few running up a hill about 250 yards away. I dropped to prone but they too vanished as the gun came off safe.

Opening day was not looking so good. We got out of the truck one more time about 2 for the last walk of the day. While walking a game trail, 2 cows busted us and I thought that I was in for another disappointing result. As they ran up the hill across from us, I noticed that one was following the other at a distance of about 10-15 yards. They slowed to a fast walk as the first one entered a shooting lane. I dropped to a knee and hoped the second would follow. She did, was led slightly and I fired. She didn't take another step, as she froze like a statue and fell on her side. The bullet entered her left shoulder and exited the right. In looking through the scope, I could see bright red blood coming from her mouth, as she lay on the ground.

Remington 700 Sendero SFII 300 Win Mag
Leupold VX3i 6.5-20x50 (windplex)
Silencerco Harvester
165 Barnes TTSX (approximately 3100 ft/s)
Shot distance - 85 yards

Nice cow Erik! Congrats on a great season; your freezer ought to be well stocked now.

My family did the same this year, filling all four tags (plus the March oryx tag that the boy drew last year).

Back