Who has a stoner 22 nosler barrel, and how does it shoot?

Originally Posted By: tonyjabMine is shooting ok 3 /4to 7/8 groups I'm shooting 45gr barns solids 30.6 gr 8208 wolf small mag primers chamfer flash hole. 2.260 oal looks weird one grove is out of the case. I bought the complete upper side charge handle on it. I am using a h2 buffer and a wolf extra strong spring.this is my 7.62x39 lower.my brass looks ok slight burr on side of case primers look good. 7 1/2 rems no good cci 450 ok but not like wolf primers. I'm going to try some reloader 7 next . I think you should try a heavier buffer to slow down the dwell in your cycle. Or a heavier spring.
Your groups are bad maybe bolt opening to soon bad groups messed up brass.
I ordered a xcaliber 22 inch 1in 9 barrel a month ago .I can't wait to see what it will do.

/

Good info on the load, it looks about like mine with 50 grainers. Were the Barnes hard to tune? Also interesting that the primers made a big difference for you. I have some Wolf standard 223 primers to try.

I just shot mine again a couple times today. It just hovers right at 1.5 to 2" 5 shot groups at 200 yds. I'm experimenting now with increasing neck tension by polishing the expander button. Factory dies were only giving about 1.5 to 2 thousandths.

Welcome to the forum!

I've got this turned down enough to under gas it. The 77's are next up but I believe the barrel is just junk. It's a crap shoot on s bottom tier barrel from an unknown source.

I play with wildcat cartidgss 90% of my shooting time and this isn't my first rodeo starting from scratch. If I can't get this one to shoot I'll lay the blame on the barrel. It sure won't be from a lack of trying on my part. (VBG)

Greg

on the barn 2.275 1 inch groups 2.260 3\4 to 7\8 inch groups looks like a lot of freebore till it reaches the rifling. only thing bad is the cost of them. wolf mag primers are supper hard never a miss fire .on the buffer turn gas all the way down shoot a round if it breaks open your mass is to little .the kenetic energy is to much.this round is to much pressure. if you have a ar\10 try its buffer turn up gas and try wont cost you anything.

Originally Posted By: tonyjabon the barn 2.275 1 inch groups 2.260 3\4 to 7\8 inch groups looks like a lot of freebore till it reaches the rifling. only thing bad is the cost of them. wolf mag primers are supper hard never a miss fire .on the buffer turn gas all the way down shoot a round if it breaks open your mass is to little .the kenetic energy is to much.this round is to much pressure. if you have a ar\10 try its buffer turn up gas and try wont cost you anything.

I'm sorry partner. This is nothing more than a 22X6.8. I've been working with virtually identical cases for a couple years along with adjustable gas blocks. Im pretty sure I know how to evaluate a gas system.

Why start adapting non-standard parts to a cartridge that's supposed to run in a standard AR 15 lower? The gas system does impact accuracy but not when you sre getting 3 and 4 inch groups at 100 yards when it is obviously not over gassed.

It's only running 55,000 max and I'm not even close to that yet.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Texas SwiftyI've been told by several sources that Stoner barrels are made by Bear Arsenal.

Jim D

The 22 Nosler STONER barrels are made by Bear Creek as you noted. They do not make all STONER barrels for Midway. It was in the American Rifleman article as the source.

Mine had the same fluting and stamping as a standard BCA barrel. That's the one I sent back and got my money back on. I'm glad I bought the Black Hole barrel and had Ritch install it. It made the cartridge go from 4" to 0.4"..lol

Greg

I’ve given up on mine after six months. I was hoping to have the same results as 204 AR but it didn’t happen. Groups were so-so but it is heck on brass. I’m waiting on a new barrel I’ve ordered from Ritch’s Precision Guns. Hopefully my suppressor will arrive about the same time.

I hate to resurrect a sore subject but...
I finally got around to mounting my cheap ARstoner barrel to work up a load for a friend. I am actually not disappointed in the barrel, and getting much different results than most. I am in no way a good shot and do not have a good bench so I am sure this can be improved on with a better trigger monkey.

the crappy nosler brass seemed to work harden and improve after being reloaded twice

60gn Hornady spire point: 3400 fps / .75moa
53gn Vmax 3430 fps / .75 moa
53gn Varmegeddon 3547 fps / 1 moa (could be a better group if slowed down)

all done with 1 powder CFE223

this barrel won't win shooting competitions but it is a viable hunting barrel. for a 18" barrel the speeds are not that bad either.

for the poor boys out there that have this barrel and want the load recipe pm me and I'll share the info.

more testing will follow with other powders and bullets.

Good to hear someone else having good luck with a $100 barrel. Those are good speeds IMO, I may have to try the cfe. I get 3420 iirc with 8208 and 50 gr zmax. My biggest complaint is also the brass. After about 5 loads the heads swell enough that the rims almost stick in the bolt and reloading shellholder. I've actually had the rifle jam with older brass because an empty case didn't fling clear like it should. Last night I spent some time "machining" case rims down a few thousandths.

Just yesterday I tested some dope out to 500. I was happy with the results and groups from shooting sticks.

I actually necked down some 6.8 brass and fireformed 4 or 5 cases a while back. It seems there's still enough neck to grip a bullet and my informal group was good but more testing is in order. I have a bunch of Starline 6.8 brass that I bought for the BHW 6x6.8 barrel with the bad chamber that I sent back so it might be worth a try.

I would really love a 20-22" slow twist barrel in this caliber.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARGood to hear someone else having good luck with a $100 barrel. Those are good speeds IMO, I may have to try the cfe. I get 3420 iirc with 8208 and 50 gr zmax. My biggest complaint is also the brass. After about 5 loads the heads swell enough that the rims almost stick in the bolt and reloading shellholder. I've actually had the rifle jam with older brass because an empty case didn't fling clear like it should. Last night I spent some time "machining" case rims down a few thousandths.

Just yesterday I tested some dope out to 500. I was happy with the results and groups from shooting sticks.

I actually necked down some 6.8 brass and fireformed 4 or 5 cases a while back. It seems there's still enough neck to grip a bullet and my informal group was good but more testing is in order. I have a bunch of Starline 6.8 brass that I bought for the BHW 6x6.8 barrel with the bad chamber that I sent back so it might be worth a try.

I would really love a 20-22" slow twist barrel in this caliber.
The 12 Twist Woa 22 Noslers shoot awesome.

Back